Orangefield is open

Had that chance several times but passed on Coach Willis, Coach Riddick, and Coach Curry. It's not an attractive job right now. Very few of our big athletes are playing basketball. Seems like volleyball and softball have taken over here at the big O.

Well not 100% sure on this, but Sanders was hired before I believe Willis was even a possibility a few years back. Could be wrong on that. I've been told since Riddick isn't certified as a teacher (she's an aide) that Orangefield has a policy that doesn't allow them to hire non certified applicants. And coach Curry took a plant job.

I'll disagree with you about being an attractive job, plenty of talent at the high school level right now, plus an 8th group that has been undefeated in district the past 2 years, and went something like 30-1 in that same time frame.

It always comes down to money, and until they open the check book up and go get a true basketball coach, I'm afraid we'll be an average program that makes the playoffs but always underachieves because the right person wasn't hired. I'm telling you this group coming up has some talent, and should be a frequent entry to the regional tournament and possibly a state tournament. 

I've heard someone is very interested, played on a state championship team, comes from a winning prominent program that matter of fact just won another state championship a few weeks back, and who would be an amazing hire, but because she's not certified she's not even going to get an interview. Do all schools have this type of restriction? I thought if you worked for the district in some capacity you could coach.

Not sure if that is the rule at Orangefield or not. However, we had the opportunity to hire Willis before she ever left to LCM. We also had the opportunity to hire Curry before she left for a plant job. The powers that be have chosen to go in a different direction and that has caused us 4 coaches in 7 or 8 years. You had three people that would have stayed at Orangefield despite the pay, two of which were mentored by Ancelot. I guess all schools don't have the same restriction because Riddick is now a head coach at LCM. That is good about our middle school talent, I didn't know that. However, that does not translate to high school success. I guess we will see what takes place.

It all amounts to this......

If the players are working hard during the off season and all year long on the skills they will need, OF

will be back where they were years ago. In my opinion, Coaching helps but you cant build players in the 

few short months during the HS Season. It is up to the players and parents to get the players in a position

to make a run at State. True talent helps alot and a good coach will attract the talent to get kids to play

and buy into the system but it is all about the off season.....PERIOD.

You could get the best Coach in the world to Coach HS Basketball but if you have no players that have

prepaired themselves for the long road to state, then OF basketball will continue to be what it is.

Nothing against the OF team from this year. It had a bunch of kids with tons of heart and would never

give up but that is only a PART of what  takes to WIN STATE!!

Little Dribblers program and playing in a few off season tournaments help but it takes a HUGE

OFF-SEASON 100% Commitment from the kids!!!

I was always under the impression you could not be a head varsity coach in the state of Texas without being a certified teacher. I don't think that has changed. I used to keep up closely with this district because I had a sister who coached HJ for years. The games with OF, HJ, Silsbee and Kountze before they moved down were just good basketball , it didn't make any difference if it was girls or guys. The play I have saw the last couple of years wasn't anywhere close to what it used to be . I would like to see it get back to that level.

I was always under the impression you could not be a head varsity coach in the state of Texas without being a certified teacher. I don't think that has changed. I used to keep up closely with this district because I had a sister who coached HJ for years. The games with OF, HJ, Silsbee and Kountze before they moved down were just good basketball , it didn't make any difference if it was girls or guys. The play I have saw the last couple of years wasn't anywhere close to what it used to be . I would like to see it get back to that level.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's was a great showcase of girl's basketball in the golden triangle. Kountze with Lola Baker in '02 along with Mattox, Stewart, and Morgan.

Orangefield during that era had those awesome Sanders sisters with Coach Ancelot.

Silsbee was up and down and HJ was give or take.

In Texas, you only have to be hired as a full-time employee of the school to coach. You can be hired as a teacher, an aide, secretary, maintenance dept., etc...as long as it considered full time.  You can be the Head Coach as long as the hiring criteria is met. It just depends on the school district and their needs.

I don't know if I would call Silsbee and HJ give and take during that era or not. I know HJ had a state tournament appearance  during the 2000-2001 season and only a broken foot on their post player in the 2nd quarter cost them a real good shot at the title. Silsbee and HJ both had rosters during that time that had D1 signees. Most of those years the district championships were split and scores in the 80-90 pt range weren't uncommon. Cat22 I think sis has hung up the coaching whistle for good, she watches her nephew coach these days and her and I coach from the stands. We didn't make a mistake all season this past year :) Good luck to the lady Bobcats, it's more fun when everyone is good !!

• 2 weeks later...

It all amounts to this......

If the players are working hard during the off season and all year long on the skills they will need, OF

will be back where they were years ago. In my opinion, Coaching helps but you cant build players in the 

few short months during the HS Season. It is up to the players and parents to get the players in a position

to make a run at State. True talent helps alot and a good coach will attract the talent to get kids to play

and buy into the system but it is all about the off season.....PERIOD.

You could get the best Coach in the world to Coach HS Basketball but if you have no players that have

prepaired themselves for the long road to state, then OF basketball will continue to be what it is.

Nothing against the OF team from this year. It had a bunch of kids with tons of heart and would never

give up but that is only a PART of what  takes to WIN STATE!!

Little Dribblers program and playing in a few off season tournaments help but it takes a HUGE

OFF-SEASON 100% Commitment from the kids!!!

110% agree!