Is Player Entitlement Ruining Ruining Our Sport?

“In 1975, my first year at Cal State Fullerton, we made it to the College World Series,” he said. “We had a guy named Dave Robb who had played second base all season and when we got to Omaha we moved him to first base. He told me, ‘Whatever helps the team coach.’

“If I did that today, the player would look at me and say, ‘Are you kidding me? I’ve got four select team coaches, three professional scouts and my mailman who used to play triple-A baseball telling me that my future is at second base. What are you doing to me?’”

http://www.collegebaseballtoday.com/2015/04/16/is-player-entitlement-ruining-our-sport/

It's a D1 problem. I have been around both D1 and D2 baseball players and programs. It's night and day.

Emporia St. (D2): No plane rides, no pregame meals, no free gloves, not much of anything is free. The team voted on a pair of flats or a pair of cleats (thanks Adidas) and chose flats. Parents riased money so the team could eat after away games. Parents take turns providing "snacks" for in between Saturday double headers (every Saturday).  Team won the MIAA Conference Tournament and the team received a plastic banner.

Houston (D1): Charter Bus/Plane to all Away games. New glove every season (one for each position you may play), batting gloves upon request, personal bat, Nike spikes-flats-shower shoes, 4 practice uniforms, Travel warm-ups, catered pre-game meal before games at home and on the road, energy food provided in the dugout and locker room during games. 4 games a week, no double headers. Team won the AAC Conference Tournament and each player received a ring. 

So yes, D1 players feel entitled. 

But remember GCM the bigger schools like UH can provide for there players. Emporia State would probably love to do that but don't have the resources. But it also happens in other sports two. I have two close friends one plays D1 basketball for Indiana State and the other D3 ball for McMurry State in Abilene. Indiana State has provided him with at least a few pair of shoes and bookos of clothing! McMurry gave a lot of gear out during season but afterwards only let the players keep a backpack, season shoes, and a shooter shirt. The schools do cause the entitlement issues sometimes but it can be helped by the players not thinking so highly of themselves.