Panama City Bay 19 Vidor 7/Final

WOSgrad

BTW, did I mention we won the game 14 - 13? No, I didn't because we didn't we because we decide we're a passing team when they can't stop us running. BONEHEAD! TO THE PIRATE TEAM I THOUGHT YOU ALL PLAYED WELL. HOLD YOUR HEAD'S HIGH.

I know roban.  We get so frustrated seeing a loss like that (glad I was  at the Rebel game).  Since I wasn't there, at least I'm encouraged by your report on how well the Pirates played!   I bet coaches are second guessing themselves.  Cest la vie

The irony is that these same Vidor fans will be begging for Matthews to pass it more when the game really start... Thankless jobl

I asked the question about more passing for Vidor earlier this week and got shot down.  Maybe it wasn't a rumor.

The irony is that these same Vidor fans will be begging for Matthews to pass it more when the game really start... Thankless jobl

You're right about "thankless job".  Based on the post, Pirates were getting 6 or 7 yds a pop on the ground.  This happens and everyone, me included, set there wondering, why in the heck did we pass?   If pass goes for TD - great call!  Saw similar call at Evadale game, but it turned out ok.  Guess that's why we like sports.  As ABC use to say, " The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat".  

It's not so much the passing, we should pass more, but It was just the timing of it all, about two minutes left to play with two timeouts and a first down at the BHS 27.  Like Rob said, offense was moving the ball on the ground, running the clock, down 6 points and their big defensive guys were gassed, that situation seems to call for continuing to pound the rock.  (BTW the pass was caught for the first down on 2nd and 20, but our guy got blasted when he tried to turn upfield and lost the ball for the scoop and score. Looked like he was out cold on the field and they were doing the concussion tests on the sideline).  

Good perspective Riggins, hard to argue with a pass on 2nd and 20 that actually gets completed?  Vidor has a great running game, but it's hard to blame a coach for calling a pass play with the clock winding down on 2nd and 20... 2nd and 20.  Vidor will be tougher to beat if they continue to develop the pass.

Edited by Brubaker

Good perspective Riggins, hard to argue with a pass on 2nd and 20 that actually gets completed?  Vidor has a great running game, but it's hard to blame a coach for calling a pass play with the clock winding down on 2nd and 20... 2nd and 20.  Vidor will be tougher to beat if they continue to develop the pass.

To Develop the pass would mean a few changes in the playbook. It really puts the QB in a bind when every pass play is play-action or roll out. By the time the QB turns around to look for receivers then a defender is already is in his face+whoever was open is now covered. I would like to see a straight dropback where the QB had time to see the field , just once ! Another thing I noticed is Vidor did not run outside much , they did pitch plays off tackle but never got outside. The jet sweep was there all night.

Edited by El Guapo

1. Congratulations to Bay High...good football game and probably the biggest team we'll face all year. Safe trip home to you and your fans.

2. Vidor coaching staff, WTH!!! When did we become a passing football team in the red zone? Driving the football, 5 - 7 yards a pop, Bay is on their heels in a 13 - 7 football game. 2:30 left in the game on their 25 yard line  in the fourth quarter, 1st down, why do we call a pass? Sacked for an 8 yard loss. Next play, nearly sacked and then throw it out to Haylen who nearly gets killed on a suicide ball, fumble and they run 90 yards to the end zone for a score. Again, WTH? WE could have walked that ball to the end zone and won that football game. Forget the pass we dropped in the 3rd on the goal line on third down (there's that pass thing again). They couldn't stop us running outside.Our kids gave a tremendous effort and the coaches blew it against a really good football team, as good as we'll face all year, a game we could and should have won. We're not Lumberton, so quit calling plays like it!!! I nearly threw my stadium chair out of the stands. It should have been and epic victory instead of a crash and burn defeat. Here's a hint, if they can't stop you from doing something, you keep doing it!  

Was the pass a questionable call, yes but in the non district games is the time to work on that. It provides 2 things something for the teams in district, when win and loses matter, to think about and allows us to work on those plays. It will also be a learning experience for the new QB, when he should have thrown it away on 1st down instead of taking the sack. The turnovers and the personal fouls are things that have to be fixed.

Edited by vp93

Was the pass a questionable call, yes but in the non district games is the time to work on that. It provides 2 things something for the teams in district, when win and loses matter, to think about and allows us to work on those plays. It will also be a learning experience for the new QB, when he should have thrown it away on 1st down instead of taking the sack. The turnovers and the personal fouls are things that have to be fixed.

this^^^

this^^^

We had tried to pass five times earlier in the game with similar result...one hit the receiver in the chest and it bounced out. When you are driving the football and making good yardage, you stick with what got you there. Not something dicey. We run the ball I think we wind up going ahead 14 - 13 and leaving them about 40 seconds on the clock. Practice is the time to work on passing, not when the game is on the line. That team would beat us 7 out of 10 times...we need to learn to win ugly which means grinding it out and winning by one point. We needed the victory for moral purposes...I can see us easily going 0-3 before district with a decent football team. It's not the first faux pais this offensive coach has made IMO.

First off...one play/possession is not the result of a win/loss of a game.  

2nd...If Vidor could've "walked the ball into the end zone" on whatever drive you guys are talking about...then why did they only have 7 points for the entire game?  What happened on every other offensive possession?

Maybe you guys should just let the coaches coach.

I am a coach not in the SETX area I just keep up with it. We as coaches know when you win the players did great and when you lose coaches did a bad job...it is what it is.

I am going to defend the coach a little and say they prob had some scout info showing the ability to throw the ball in that situation, which you prob don't know about bc you did not put in 7 days working to beat that team. Also if Vidor is as run heavy as you say the play action pass and bootleg are designed for run heavy teams, it is not the coaches fault someone blew a blocking assignment. As hs coaches we make about $2 an hour and do what we do for the kids not for the glory. We love to win but never at the cost of our players.

Pete Carroll made the same call in the Super Bowl, is he a bad coach?

Last I am going to leave you with this 1. Does a coach come to your place of work and bad mouth and yell at you. 2. Does a coach go on a public forum and bad mouth you. 3. We have families don't you think you are impacting them with this crap as well.

The next time you want to bad mouth a coach I want you to go get a degree and be a teacher and coach so we can yell at you.

I am a coach not in the SETX area I just keep up with it. We as coaches know when you win the players did great and when you lose coaches did a bad job...it is what it is.

I am going to defend the coach a little and say they prob had some scout info showing the ability to throw the ball in that situation, which you prob don't know about bc you did not put in 7 days working to beat that team. Also if Vidor is as run heavy as you say the play action pass and bootleg are designed for run heavy teams, it is not the coaches fault someone blew a blocking assignment. As hs coaches we make about $2 an hour and do what we do for the kids not for the glory. We love to win but never at the cost of our players.

Pete Carroll made the same call in the Super Bowl, is he a bad coach?

Last I am going to leave you with this 1. Does a coach come to your place of work and bad mouth and yell at you. 2. Does a coach go on a public forum and bad mouth you. 3. We have families don't you think you are impacting them with this crap as well.

The next time you want to bad mouth a coach I want you to go get a degree and be a teacher and coach so we can yell at you.

Great post. Rob since you like to criticize coaches on their decisions. The next next time Exxon has a fire I'll blame you