Cops hunt 3 suspects in shooting of Illinois police officer

LumRaiderFan

If this happens thousands of times and costs the taxpayers millions and millions of dollars, then I'll complain.

I don't think this type of event will become an epidemic that will break us. 

What would you complain about?

I have been a police officer for more than 30 years. I have responded to many false alarms or reports of situations that turned out to be nothing. How many prowler calls had 3 officers responding only to find that it was a possum on someone's porch. Do you complain on the possum or complain that the police are responding to calls from citizens and the outcome is not known until after the police arrive? 

What would you complain about?

I have been a police officer for more than 30 years. I have responded to many false alarms or reports of situations that turned out to be nothing. How many prowler calls had 3 officers responding only to find that it was a possum on someone's porch. Do you complain on the possum or complain that the police are responding to calls from citizens and the outcome is not known until after the police arrive? 

I guess I should have put a rolls eyes for you...sailed right over.

What's lost in the picture..which happens way too much where I grew up....is that how many people that "Fit the description" were  shook down, harrassed etc...during this manhunt. That's the part most of America never sees...unfourtunatley, I've lived through it.

I was pulled over in my 20's in my blue Chevy S-10 and searched because the vehicle fit the description of an armed robbery that had occurred earlier that night.  

Second question, if a description is given, how should the cops act during a "manhunt"?  Tell me YOUR version of how it would go down.

I was pulled over in my 20's in my blue Chevy S-10 and searched because the vehicle fit the description of an armed robbery that had occurred earlier that night.  

Second question, if a description is given, how should the cops act during a "manhunt"?  Tell me YOUR version of how it would go down.

Well, I fit the description of a murder that happened in Houston. I was in Korea the time it happened. An eyewitness even ID'd me, case against me was so strong that I actually believed I got drunk, flew from Korea to Houston, killed this guy and flew back.

Honestly, I don't know how you handle it.....but it puts a lot of innocent people at risk....especially in a case where an officer has been killed. Being searched, and Killed on sight is two different things.  I wasn't there when they searched your vehicle so I dont know how they treated you....but when I was charged with robbing and killing a guy in Houston while sitting in the barracks of Camp Casey Korea, I had to spend a few days handcuffed to a bed at Ben Taub Hospital because of the ass kicking I took.

Well, I fit the description of a murder that happened in Houston. I was in Korea the time it happened. An eyewitness even ID'd me, case against me was so strong that I actually believed I got drunk, flew from Korea to Houston, killed this guy and flew back.

Honestly, I don't know how you handle it.....but it puts a lot of innocent people at risk....especially in a case where an officer has been killed. Being searched, and Killed on sight is two different things.  I wasn't there when they searched your vehicle so I dont know how they treated you....but when I was charged with robbing and killing a guy in Houston while sitting in the barracks of Camp Casey Korea, I had to spend a few days handcuffed to a bed at Ben Taub Hospital because of the ass kicking I took.

Dude....I did not get treated like that.......of course, I was 20 and freaking out and did exactly what they said.

I'm confused, you were accused of killing someone in Houston, but did they arrest you in Korea? Did MP's beat you up or civilian cops?

Dude....I did not get treated like that.......of course, I was 20 and freaking out and did exactly what they said.

I'm confused, you were accused of killing someone in Houston, but did they arrest you in Korea? Did MP's beat you up or civilian cops?

That's what I'm saying...the way they approach you....may be different form the way they approach me.

Guy was killed.....at the time I was in Korea. Came home on Terminal leave.....Witness to the murder(that happened while I was in Korea) ID'd me....as I'm driving...I see tons of police cars....try to get over to get out of there way(remember, I'm just a guy home on leave diriving home, done nothing).unknowing to me...I'm actually "Fleeing and evading" right now......finally ram my car....pull me out...before I know what's going on....I'm getting my ass kicked.

20 year old hippy guy doesn't get the same treatment as 20 year old Black guy in Black neighborhood I guess lol....

I would've done exactly what they said...IF they would've said something lol

I guess you'd have to live in a predominately black neighborhood to understand what happens when police are looking for "Black male, 5'8, sneakers and T-shirt" because that was the description someone gave.....they don't come through asking nicely. We're all guilty until proven otherwise.

I guess you'd have to live in a predominately black neighborhood to understand what happens when police are looking for "Black male, 5'8, sneakers and T-shirt" because that was the description someone gave.....they don't come through asking nicely. We're all guilty until proven otherwise.

I can't doubt you because I have not lived it. Sorry for your troubles .....really, that had to suck on many levels

Thank you for your service btw.

I can't doubt you because I have not lived it. Sorry for your troubles .....really, that had to suck on many levels

Thank you for your service btw.

No problem....I hold no grudges, we were pretty much immune to it. I Wish we could all sit down and have a round table type conversation about things like this. I think everyone would get a better understanding.

No problem....I hold no grudges, we were pretty much immune to it. I Wish we could all sit down and have a round table type conversation about things like this. I think everyone would get a better understanding.

I have always wanted that on this forum. I think face to face would have much better communication....plus, putting an actual person to a username I think would help with all the cat fights.....lol

Fitting the description of a suspect and even being identified by a witness as the suspect has nothing to do with police abuse. The Fourth Amendment is intended to keep the police from intruding on people's lives "for no reason". Back in England before and even after our Revolution, it was common to get a "general warrant". Those general warrants were supported by a magistrate's signature however there was no need for probable cause and only a claim by an official that a person/location needed to be searched. 

If a person points you out as a suspect, it is not unreasonable to be detained or even arrested. That is hardly the government intruding "for no reason". I have stopped people and held them even at gunpoint but soon after found that it was the wrong person(s) and they were released. Fortunately I did not use any unjustified force based on that probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Now if the police have a valid reason for a detention and overstep their authority by using excessive force, that is entirely different than the justification for the detention to begin with which might have been valid. A completely valid stop can turn into a completely unlawful use of force. 

Out of curiosity, when did this occur? The reason that I ask is that I was investigating a burglary one time in about 1995 and a woman was blaming me for an incident that happened with her uncle in about 1962. I was in the first grade and it was my fault that her uncle was abused. 

Fitting the description of a suspect and even being identified by a witness as the suspect has nothing to do with police abuse. The Fourth Amendment is intended to keep the police from intruding on people's lives "for no reason". Back in England before and even after our Revolution, it was common to get a "general warrant". Those general warrants were supported by a magistrate's signature however there was no need for probable cause and only a claim by an official that a person/location needed to be searched. 

If a person points you out as a suspect, it is not unreasonable to be detained or even arrested. That is hardly the government intruding "for no reason". I have stopped people and held them even at gunpoint but soon after found that it was the wrong person(s) and they were released. Fortunately I did not use any unjustified force based on that probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Now if the police have a valid reason for a detention and overstep their authority by using excessive force, that is entirely different than the justification for the detention to begin with which might have been valid. A completely valid stop can turn into a completely unlawful use of force. 

Out of curiosity, when did this occur? The reason that I ask is that I was investigating a burglary one time in about 1995 and a woman was blaming me for an incident that happened with her uncle in about 1962. I was in the first grade and it was my fault that her uncle was abused. 

Happened in 1994

Or wouldn't it be more surprising that this same cop tried to arrange a hit on a city administrator?

It's obviously much more surprising that he tried to arrange a hit on a city administrator, considering this is the first time i've ever heard of it happening, while people attempt to murder police officers multiple times a day, every day.