1A Rankings -

This is the hidden content, please

#12 Goodrich

Large School Private -

Small School Private -

#5 Beaumont Legacy Christian

Didn't Cleveland make it to the Regional tournament and return almost everyone?

Many in these polls don't deserve to be in.  I think they are done based heavily on info received from coaches of each team.  If they don't have it, most of those teams will not be in.  

They need last year record. Returning starters, etc.  Only well into the season, after many wins, will other teams show up. At least that's my understanding.  Hope this helps. 

• 5 weeks later...

Will evadale be pushed by anyone in district? If not, is that good or bad once they get into the playoffs and the competition they will face. Especially after the 1st round.

This is a big problem for the Evadale girls in several sports.  I know the Big Sandy girls are usually competitive, and W. Hardin has the "want to".

Got first game (last minute addition) with Chireno, #9 in 1A, tonight at 6.  Should be a good test for both.  

And to answer your question, IMO it's Bad!  Go Lady Rebels!

Edited by REBgp

Doubt to many readers here, but I'd like to vent, and this is a good place for me to whine/gripe/cry/grumble.

So my beloved Lady Rebels, who were #7 lost to 1A Chireno, #9, by 7 points.  Our girls had 3 days practice after Vball.  Chireno does not play Vball so I'd guess they've been at it since school started.  They had us 19-0 before we quit spiking the basketball.  

So we get dropped down to #22.  Ain't right.  Ain't fair.  Well, after we get through playing in the Nederland Tournament, we'll drop to oblivion.  Heck, we'll have 6 days of practice by then, they may drop us into 6 man football (and our girls would win - with 6 days practice lol).  Okay, got it out of my system.  Bet next week #22 sounds good.  

Doubt to many readers here, but I'd like to vent, and this is a good place for me to whine/gripe/cry/grumble.

So my beloved Lady Rebels, who were #7 lost to 1A Chireno, #9, by 7 points.  Our girls had 3 days practice after Vball.  Chireno does not play Vball so I'd guess they've been at it since school started.  They had us 19-0 before we quit spiking the basketball.  

So we get dropped down to #22.  Ain't right.  Ain't fair.  Well, after we get through playing in the Nederland Tournament, we'll drop to oblivion.  Heck, we'll have 6 days of practice by then, they may drop us into 6 man football (and our girls would win - with 6 days practice lol).  Okay, got it out of my system.  Bet next week #22 sounds good.  

Are you saying that if you were dropped to 1A you would win state with ease? That is of course if you're enrollment is under 104.5

Are you saying that if you were dropped to 1A you would win state with ease? That is of course if you're enrollment is under 104.5

Dadgum RR30.  I came down here in the "closet" to cry in my beer and you caught me.  No, I'm just saying it's hard to beat a quality team with 3 days practice, but I doubt the TABC is aware of that, or cares.  Perhaps if we win the Nederland Tournament we'll move up lol. 

Dadgum RR30.  I came down here in the "closet" to cry in my beer and you caught me.  No, I'm just saying it's hard to beat a quality team with 3 days practice, but I doubt the TABC is aware of that, or cares.  Perhaps if we win the Nederland Tournament we'll move up lol. 

Okay, I understand. Was just wondering because 1A is actually more difficult to win than 2A.

Okay, I understand. Was just wondering because 1A is actually more difficult to win than 2A.

??  Interesting!   Why do say that?   I know little about Bball, but I seemed to remember looking at Poff brackets last year & seeing several high ranked 2A schools that had lost to 1A's.  I thot just an anomaly.  

??  Interesting!   Why do say that?   I know little about Bball, but I seemed to remember looking at Poff brackets last year & seeing several high ranked 2A schools that had lost to 1A's.  I thot just an anomaly.  

One of the easiest answers is because you get the schools that do not play volleyball only basketball. Then you look at many of those small schools they have generations of players that have all grown up together, just as their parents and grandparents had done. It creates a system where the players know each other so well, that it makes basketball seem to be on a string. Also many of those schools have the gym and the team. That is all. They have nothing else. They live in the gym. The high school students are in the same building as junior high and elementary and it creates a system where everyone wants to be just as good as the ones before. They act like the ones before continuing the success. In 1A the top schools are always the same. Nazareth, Lipan, 4 or 5 teams have central Texas. It is all they have. Finally, personally, I think there is a survival factor that can only occur in 1A schools. They never know how long their school is going to be open because of numbers. They have to fight for everything. Any year could be the last. Combine that with the fact the entire town is at the games and the fact that the younger ones are watching, makes the 1A players fight every minute. More so than any other classification.

1A is also very interesting in the fact that Central Texas which plays such a unique style is split between Region II, III, and IV.  Evant and Jonesboro are Region IV. Rochelle until this alignment was IV as well.The toughest district in the state (Lipan, Huckabay, Gordon, Gorman, Strawn, Lingleville) is Region III. The rest are region II. If you look at the brackets their is always multiple teams that make it very deep in their region that play in this area. The style is not played anywhere else and it makes it difficult to game plan against.

Edited by RaiderRed30

One of the easiest answers is because you get the schools that do not play volleyball only basketball. Then you look at many of those small schools they have generations of players that have all grown up together, just as their parents and grandparents had done. It creates a system where the players know each other so well, that it makes basketball seem to be on a string. Also many of those schools have the gym and the team. That is all. They have nothing else. They live in the gym. The high school students are in the same building as junior high and elementary and it creates a system where everyone wants to be just as good as the ones before. They act like the ones before continuing the success. In 1A the top schools are always the same. Nazareth, Lipan, 4 or 5 teams have central Texas. It is all they have. Finally, personally, I think there is a survival factor that can only occur in 1A schools. They never know how long their school is going to be open because of numbers. They have to fight for everything. Any year could be the last. Combine that with the fact the entire town is at the games and the fact that the younger ones are watching, makes the 1A players fight every minute. More so than any other classification.

1A is also very interesting in the fact that Central Texas which continues such a unique style is split between Region II, III, and IV. Rochelle, Evant, and Jonesboro are always IV. The toughest district in the state (Lipan, Huckabay, Gorman, Strawn, Lingleville) is always III. The rest are region II. If you look at the brackets their is always multiple teams that make it very deep in their region that play in this region. The style is not played anywhere else and it makes it difficult to game plan against.

Thanks for that post.  Makes me look at those 1As in a different light.  And yes, Lipan was one I remember seeing last year, and Chireno.  Chireno had a big girl probably 5'11" and a little wt.  when I first saw her I thot she was probably 3rd string on a 9 girl team.  When she hit like 5 of her first 6 threes, I was in awe.  What a player.   Anyway, thanks again.  

Thanks for that post.  Makes me look at those 1As in a different light.  And yes, Lipan was one I remember seeing last year, and Chireno.  Chireno had a big girl probably 5'11" and a little wt.  when I first saw her I thot she was probably 3rd string on a 9 girl team.  When she hit like 5 of her first 6 threes, I was in awe.  What a player.   Anyway, thanks again.  

What stands out to me is with 1A the past few years is the fact that the 3rd best team in the state never made it to state. Lipan's class of '14 went to state 3 times. All 3 times they beat Strawn and their class of '15 in the regional final. They were also in the same district. That Strawn class went 119-27 over 4 years yet never made it to state. 9 of those losses were to Lipan and only 1 other was to a 1A. I saw them last year go wire to wire with ranked 5A San Angelo Central with their best player sick.

Add in Brock 15 miles down the road from Lipan, I would say that area does pretty well in basketball. They are on the outskirts of the Central Texas region. The middle is not as good now, but history wise it is the best in the state for basketball.

Edited by RaiderRed30

119-27, that's phenomenal considering I'd figure that @ 50% of their opponents were higher classification.   Bad luck they had Lipan in the semifinals 3 times.  

I'm reminded of a guy I worked with who played Bball for TJ in 57.  Then, TJ was one of the bigger schools in the state & 4A was biggest.  He told me they won state and their only loss was to Buna (Class A I believe at the time) in a Tournament.  That was when Cotton Robinson was coaching at Buna.  No football, in gym year round playing basketball.  Similar to the movie Hoosiers which my G'son made me watch (good show). He loves Bball.  In 9th come home from football practice and I'd hear him out shooting hoops.   He's good, not great yet, but works at it hard. 

119-27, that's phenomenal considering I'd figure that @ 50% of their opponents were higher classification.   Bad luck they had Lipan in the semifinals 3 times.  

I'm reminded of a guy I worked with who played Bball for TJ in 57.  Then, TJ was one of the bigger schools in the state & 4A was biggest.  He told me they won state and their only loss was to Buna (Class A I believe at the time) in a Tournament.  That was when Cotton Robinson was coaching at Buna.  No football, in gym year round playing basketball.  Similar to the movie Hoosiers which my G'son made me watch (good show). He loves Bball.  In 9th come home from football practice and I'd hear him out shooting hoops.   He's good, not great yet, but works at it hard. 

It was usually 3A or 4As. They actually lost in the regional finals. Never made it to Austin. The one time they lost before the regional finals was the regional semifinals to a team Lipan lost to the next day.

I have heard a lot about the Buna teams of the 50s and 60s. They are up there with the Canyon and Nazareth girls. What makes the Central Texas region different is it has not just been one or two teams. From 1 town that has made state 10 times out about 30-35 miles every school has been to state in basketball at least once. I think it is around 20 schools.

It was usually 3A or 4As. They actually lost in the regional finals. Never made it to Austin. The one time they lost before the regional finals was the regional semifinals to a team Lipan lost to the next day.

I have heard a lot about the Buna teams of the 50s and 60s. They are up there with the Canyon and Nazareth girls. What makes the Central Texas region different is it has not just been one or two teams. From 1 town that has made state 10 times out about 30-35 miles every school has been to state in basketball at least once. I think it is around 20 schools.

That has to be some kind of record, although probably not recognized.  Sure seems to me they all play up to, and feed off each other.  That's what I find unusual in Evadales district.  Few seem to want to improve to E level in girls sports.  

Do you have someone who plays, and who for?  My G'daughter plays for Rebs. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...