BMTsoulja1...it's about that time!!

My point was if you are going to play loud, then have the sound quality to go with it. Otherwise, it just sounds terribly loud. ;)

I have no problem with the styles that any band chooses to use. Marching band contest is not for everyone. Some schools just do not like that style (military or show). I like it all, but more fond of the military style (Fighting Texas Aggie Band)

I only asked about the UIL concert competitions. No marching involved, just plain sound quality judged in a concert setting.

My Son(Twin) is a member of the Blue Wave Panther Band. He works extremely hard on his music & his field performances. He's also a Football player & both had high demands this summer. This kid had 6 am weight training & 8am - 6pm Band camp. Once football practice started he has to attend both. This kid plays FB on JV & Bass Clarinet in the Band. Some of the sounds you hear this year, he helped arrange & he gives the sheet music.
I know how extremely hard Bands work, not to mention the kids who participate in numerous activities. So, after hearing of my Son's schedule, do you think he gives a rat's .... If anyone complains? I introduced him to the Great Stevie Wonder's music, his Passion has gone to another level. He is a good Football player, but he's a Musician First.
BTW he plays piano also. So, when you venture out to games this week, think about the work these kids put in for your Entertainment. Without these kids, I can't surf the Music stations in my car. Think about that for a moment

I can just give you my opinion from strickly a football person with no interest in band or any understanding or association of band.  I have witnessed both styles alot.  When I watch Central or Ozen I am entertained and usually watch the whole show. 

I say congratulation to the schools that use halftime to practice their marches and UIL competetion and get 1 and 2's.. but from just a fan of football that is not entertaining and I can not name one school that got 1's or won that competetion or however they compete?  but i can remember the last time i watched central band and can even tell you which songs they played.  

theres a reason they schedule concerts during the superbowl or nfl games and dont have the military out doing marches.  just sayin!

I can just give you my opinion from strickly a football person with no interest in band or any understanding or association of band.  I have witnessed both styles alot.  When I watch Central or Ozen I am entertained and usually watch the whole show. 

I say congratulation to the schools that use halftime to practice their marches and UIL competetion and get 1 and 2's.. but from just a fan of football that is not entertaining and I can not name one school that got 1's or won that competetion or however they compete?  but i can remember the last time i watched central band and can even tell you which songs they played.  

theres a reason they schedule concerts during the superbowl or nfl games and dont have the military out doing marches.  just sayin!

Easy to say when no NFL team has a marching band of their own. :rolleyes:

That's a clear case of apples and oranges.

My point was if you are going to play loud, then have the sound quality to go with it. Otherwise, it just sounds terribly loud.

I TOTALLY agree. Ozen's band tends to lean towards the styles of Grambling, Florida A&M, and Jackson St. They go for more of a clean, strong, bright sound. Central's band is basically a hs version of the Southern University band *cough cough*...;-). They're known for power and sound BUT mind you they're college musicians with a much more mature and bigger sound. So Central's loud has a lot to do with an immature hs sound. That being said....Ozen and Central are both very entertaining and fun to watch!! Now.....back to football.

Show bands require no skill or musicianship to say the least.

You are SO far from accurate and obviously have not witnessed Show Bands at the Highest level. Dont let these high schools, who work hard btw, fool you.The work and intensity put into the style would rival any top college football team and the intensity of competition, an nfl playoff game. You sound bitter and seem a tad bit secretly envious by the attention and admiration show style bands get. What does NOT give your argument any validity is the fact that you've NEVER been in a show style band. If you had been, you'd know better than to make such a shallow statement. Now.....back to football.........PLEASE

Okay. I apologize for my statement. I was wrong and it was wrong of me to insult the skills and bands who choose to steer more towards show band type of shows. I was mad because of the the comment toward military bands being boring. I take that to heart since I was a 9 year member of Vidors Military Marching Band. Please excuse my lapse of judgment.

Okay. I apologize for my statement. I was wrong and it was wrong of me to insult the skills and bands who choose to steer more towards show band type of shows. I was mad because of the the comment toward military bands being boring. I take that to heart since I was a 9 year member of Vidors Military Marching Band. Please excuse my lapse of judgment.

9 years? 4 yrs in HS, 3 yrs middle school, where the other 2 come from?

It wasn't my statement. I actually appreciate all types of bands, including military styles...