Texas vs #11 Oklahoma

PhatMack19

If there was any improvement in swoopes play this past weekend I surely didn't see it. There is no reason not to get Heard in the game now sooner than later. All the talk about putting him out there with our inexperienced line, that it will ruin him, is BS! This kid will bring excitement back to this team and it's fans! Do it now!

No way Heard should be thrown to the wolves against Oklahoma. The kid was great in High School but I doubt very seriously any High School team he has ever played against is any where close to the talent Oklahoma will throw at him ! Especially with the O-Line that Texas has right now.

Texas also is likely to have another option with Zack Gentry in 2015.

Hopefully he can do what the current QB Corps at Texas is having problems with and that is win.  They also appear to have some potential help coming on the O Line as well.  2015 may be a better year for Texas - and it better be or Texas Ex's may start to growl  :huh:

No way Heard should be thrown to the wolves against Oklahoma. The kid was great in High School but I doubt very seriously any High School team he has ever played against is any where close to the talent Oklahoma will throw at him ! Especially with the O-Line that Texas has right now.

Have you ever heard of James Brown.

He made his first start against Oklahoma and shocked the world.

QB'd for four years. Shea Morenz, who was the injured starter left Texas for other opportunities.

SPCFBG

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:151]

Texas also is likely to have another option with Zack Gentry in 2015.

Hopefully he can do what the current QB Corps at Texas is having problems with and that is win.  They also appear to have some potential help coming on the O Line as well.  2015 may be a better year for Texas - and it better be or Texas Ex's may start to growl  :huh:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:150]

Looks to me Watson calls plays just to call plays. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything. They might better use daje johnson before we lose him again for whatever reason.

I am with you there. I don't know how many times we had a series where brown or gray were chewing up yards and we pass on 1d and get in a hole. Daje needs the ball a lot too and hopefully he will. I am hoping it was just a 1st game back thing. He needs to be returning kicks too.

I hoped Wickline would be calling the plays and still do. Charlie obviously is a defensive guru. But he's going to have to find someone who matches him on the other side of the ball. With a blank check, there is no excuse not to.

A few notes: The consensus among the coaches (and really the players will tell you the same) is that Heard is simply not ready. Swoopes gives the team a better chance to win and throwing Jerrod out there now will hurt the team and, quite frankly, Jerrod. Barring a huge jump in practices or an injury, he looks to be a redshirt.

Second, a lot of talk is circulating about pulling the rs off Duke Catalon. He is believed to be, by more than a few coaches and players, to be the most talented back on the team. He continues to amaze in practice. The staff really wanted to redshirt him due to having M Brown and Gray already toting the ball. But with Daje dinged up (hasn't practiced this week yet), they need his explosiveness. 50/50 whether we see him this year.

Third, apparently Strong wanted guys like Bergeron, Estelle, Harrison, etc. gone long ago but let Patterson (who is very much feeling the heat) talk him into second and third chances (with rehab and the like). Strong isn't big on multiple chances and the players were mostly okay with letting go of their non-compliant teammates. Finally, Charlie said to hell with it, they're gone (with the two OTs most recently and notably). This was undermined with conflicting statements released out of Belmont which didn't make him happy. Ultimately, he put his foot down and said "Enough! This is my team." The players will not be back and, ironically, the big wigs are supportive of Strong and more mud is on Patterson's face.

Finally, the only guy in the program with more heat on him than Patterson is Watson. When Strong announced he was bringing him, there were a lot of double takes. Patterson hitched his wagon to Strong and his defensive genius. But Charlie was told he could spend 7 figures + getting a top named OC. So everyone was a little leery when Watson was his choice. In comes the Wickline hire and the belief that he would be calling the plays (but he hasn't). Watson either has to turn it around quickly or he will be having a short stay in Austin. Strong is not going to be afforded the opportunity to exhibit loyalty in the same manner Mack was with Greg Davis.

A few notes: The consensus among the coaches (and really the players will tell you the same) is that Heard is simply not ready. Swoopes gives the team a better chance to win and throwing Jerrod out there now will hurt the team and, quite frankly, Jerrod. Barring a huge jump in practices or an injury, he looks to be a redshirt.

Second, a lot of talk is circulating about pulling the rs off Duke Catalon. He is believed to be, by more than a few coaches and players, to be the most talented back on the team. He continues to amaze in practice. The staff really wanted to redshirt him due to having M Brown and Gray already toting the ball. But with Daje dinged up (hasn't practiced this week yet), they need his explosiveness. 50/50 whether we see him this year.

Third, apparently Strong wanted guys like Bergeron, Estelle, Harrison, etc. gone long ago but let Patterson (who is very much feeling the heat) talk him into second and third chances (with rehab and the like). Strong isn't big on multiple chances and the players were mostly okay with letting go of their non-compliant teammates. Finally, Charlie said to hell with it, they're gone (with the two OTs most recently and notably). This was undermined with conflicting statements released out of Belmont which didn't make him happy. Ultimately, he put his foot down and said "Enough! This is my team." The players will not be back and, ironically, the big wigs are supportive of Strong and more mud is on Patterson's face.

Finally, the only guy in the program with more heat on him than Patterson is Watson. When Strong announced he was bringing him, there were a lot of double takes. Patterson hitched his wagon to Strong and his defensive genius. But Charlie was told he could spend 7 figures + getting a top named OC. So everyone was a little leery when Watson was his choice. In comes the Wickline hire and the belief that he would be calling the plays (but he hasn't). Watson either has to turn it around quickly or he will be having a short stay in Austin. Strong is not going to be afforded the opportunity to exhibit loyalty in the same manner Mack was with Greg Davis.

Only question that I have is why pull the red shirt off of a player - if Duke Catalon is really "the man" - this late in the season with really the season already kinda a bust.  Make next year you targeted year and hold some cards close to your vest.  Strong regardless of what happens has a pass this year and very likely next - but if the W's do not start mounting up he too will feel the heat.

Only question that I have is why pull the red shirt off of a player - if Duke Catalon is really "the man" - this late in the season with really the season already kinda a bust. Make next year you targeted year and hold some cards close to your vest. Strong regardless of what happens has a pass this year and very likely next - but if the W's do not start mounting up he too will feel the heat.

I gotta agree with you OldTimer. But try and convince Charlie the season is a bust. He thinks this team can win out. I don't but admire his optimism. This should also tell us plenty about Heard's readiness or lack thereof.

I gotta agree with you OldTimer. But try and convince Charlie the season is a bust. He thinks this team can win out. I don't but admire his optimism. This should also tell us plenty about Heard's readiness or lack thereof.

IF Strong really  thinks that he can win out - that concerns me more than anything else I have heard about Coach Strong - did he not watch the games?  Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma State are all likely losses and at best very tough wins - but all the other games Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech and WVU really are all toss up games at the moment.  I really see - without great improvement from the O Texas being 6 - 6 at the end of the season.  

I wish I was more optimistic but at this time I think that is realistic.