SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 8

WOSgrad

Ok I will from here on stop giving the benefit of the doubt and will start doing my own research. I mean really?? What 'good' teams are you talking about? I checked.....the BEST record of the 5 teams HJ has beaten (not counting common opponents with Kirbyville) is 4-3! One is 2-3 and even big, bad Tatum is a freaking 2-4!! Give me a break. These are the 'good, quality' teams that are beating up on and taking their toll on HJ's season??? Wow. Lmao.. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but 4-3 is average. The others are below average. Kirbyville has faced three teams with a 1-5 record and one that's 4-2 (which we beat 56-0), and I'll admit that 1-5 is weaker competition than 4-3, but if you want to claim MUCH tougher competition then you're gonna have to come at me with some 6-1's or even some 5-2's. 4-3 ain't cuttin' it. Just, wow. I guess next you're gonna want us to look at the opponents competition too right? Then their opponents opponents? Lol.. It doesn't matter though. HJ is ranked ahead of Kirbyville and that's just the way it is. I can't stop laughing though at how tough HJ has it. Those 'average' teams are a doozy huh? Lmao

First off, lets get it right. Kirbyville has faced FOUR teams with 1-5 records, not 3. OF was a good win, and Woodville's 4-2 record is a direct result of beating those same 1-5 teams that Kirbyville did. We saw how weak they are when they played a couple of quality opponents back to back, losing by a combined 100 points or so, so I don't think the record tells the story there.
HJ's opponents are 4-3 against mostly good 4A competition, and against teams that have played tough schedules, while K-ville's 1-5 opponents are 1-5 against mostly weak 3A competition. and big bad Tatum has 3 losses against top-10 4A schools, two of them by 7 points or less. OF is 4-3 with losses against HJ, Buna, and Kirbyville. Hard to fault them for those three losses or act like they're not good because of them. I don't have the time to dig through all the records, nor the inclination at this point, because the Hawks could beat the Seattle Seahawks and you'd give it equal weight to Kirbyville beating Deweyville by 60. But again, I know you're a Kirbyville homer, and want to find anyway you can to give Kirbyville the advantage (just as I would HJ), but there's a huge difference to beating a bunch of 4A schools with good football teams than there is to blowing out a bunch of 3A JV squads. Any of the 5 teams that HJ has beaten that I would call quality teams would've done the same thing to those 3A JV schools that Kirbyville has done, which is why I don't give them a whole lot of credit for doing it.

I'm actually ok with the rankings.  They are just for fun.  But I would like to say that Kirbyville is a 3A School with a smaller enrollment than HJ (4A) and still beat the common opponents by a larger margin. 

I agree, and I'm ok with the rankings too. I really am. I have no problems at all with HJ being #1 and us being #2. What I had issue with was that a stronger argument could be made for Kirbyville being #1 than HJ and the response I got was 'stiffer competition'. That dog won't hunt.  

First off, lets get it right. Kirbyville has faced FOUR teams with 1-5 records, not 3. OF was a good win, and Woodville's 4-2 record is a direct result of beating those same 1-5 teams that Kirbyville did. We saw how weak they are when they played a couple of quality opponents back to back, losing by a combined 100 points or so, so I don't think the record tells the story there.
HJ's opponents are 4-3 against mostly good 4A competition, and against teams that have played tough schedules, while K-ville's 1-5 opponents are 1-5 against mostly weak 3A competition. and big bad Tatum has 3 losses against top-10 4A schools, two of them by 7 points or less. OF is 4-3 with losses against HJ, Buna, and Kirbyville. Hard to fault them for those three losses or act like they're not good because of them. I don't have the time to dig through all the records, nor the inclination at this point, because the Hawks could beat the Seattle Seahawks and you'd give it equal weight to Kirbyville beating Deweyville by 60. But again, I know you're a Kirbyville homer, and want to find anyway you can to give Kirbyville the advantage (just as I would HJ), but there's a huge difference to beating a bunch of 4A schools with good football teams than there is to blowing out a bunch of 3A JV squads. Any of the 5 teams that HJ has beaten that I would call quality teams would've done the same thing to those 3A JV schools that Kirbyville has done, which is why I don't give them a whole lot of credit for doing it.

You just basically made the exact same argument that I've already discredited, so I'm not responding to that. I'm responding simply to say that I didn't include one of the 1-5 teams because they were a common opponent with HJ. (Kountze)

I'm actually ok with the rankings.  They are just for fun.  But I would like to say that Kirbyville is a 3A School with a smaller enrollment than HJ (4A) and still beat the common opponents by a larger margin.

Which again, means next to nothing. Well, the winning margin. But I do agree that enrollment numbers are a big deal, and having a team with 3A numbers that would be very competitive in 4A IS a big deal.

You just basically made the exact same argument that I've already discredited, so I'm not responding to that. I'm responding simply to say that I didn't include one of the 1-5 teams because they were a common opponent with HJ. (Kountze)

the problem is you haven't discredited anything. you can believe whatever you want, but beating several 4A teams that will be going to the playoffs and likely winning games there is not equal to blowing out several 3A schools who will end up winning 3 or so games each only because they get to play each other.

After the playoffs do you think we can get HJ and Kirbyville to put on the pads one more time and put an end to this??

I doubt it, but I think that would be great. While I'm arguing the rankings on here, I have absolutely no doubt that Kirbyville is capable of beating HJ. I think it would be a phenomenal game to watch. But that being said, after both teams end their regular seasons at either 10-0 or 9-1, and then hopefully make deep runs into their respective playoffs, I don't know how much gas will be left in the tank for either team.

the problem is you haven't discredited anything. you can believe whatever you want, but beating several 4A teams that will be going to the playoffs and likely winning games there is not equal to blowing out several 3A schools who will end up winning 3 or so games each only because they get to play each other.

HJ has only beaten average teams so far. They have not beaten a (quote) 'Good, quality opponent' yet as you say they have. So, your team should not be beat up and worn out from the ones they've faced as you claim they are. Therefore, we can only go by the TWO common opponents that each has faced and in EACH case, Kirbyville has beaten them worse. This is why your argument is discredited and invalid.

HJ has only beaten average teams so far. They have not beaten a (quote) 'Good, quality opponent' yet as you say they have. So, your team should not be beat up and worn out from the ones they've faced as you claim they are. Therefore, we can only go by the TWO common opponents that each has faced and in EACH case, Kirbyville has beaten them worse. This is why your argument is discredited and invalid.

Nope, that's just you repeating your same invalid and irrelevant argument. But by your logic, the best team that Kirbyville has beaten is average, and it's the 5th best team that HJ has beaten, meaning Kirbyville probably shouldn't even be ranked as they've beaten NOBODY. But in all seriousness, HJ has played 5 teams that would give Kirbyville a decent game. I'm not claiming Jasper or LCM or Center would beat y'all, but your starters would have to play the whole game, and they'd know they played somebody. And regardless of Tatum's record, they'd have a very good chance of beating you guys. The point being, if Kirbyville had played HJ's schedule, they'd have played 5 games where the starters had to play the whole game, against some big, tough teams, greatly increasing their workload, fatigue level, and risk of injury. If you don't understand the difference that would make over the course of the season, I can't help you.

Nope, that's just you repeating your same invalid and irrelevant argument. But by your logic, the best team that Kirbyville has beaten is average, and it's the 5th best team that HJ has beaten, meaning Kirbyville probably shouldn't even be ranked as they've beaten NOBODY. But in all seriousness, HJ has played 5 teams that would give Kirbyville a decent game. I'm not claiming Jasper or LCM or Center would beat y'all, but your starters would have to play the whole game, and they'd know they played somebody. And regardless of Tatum's record, they'd have a very good chance of beating you guys. The point being, if Kirbyville had played HJ's schedule, they'd have played 5 games where the starters had to play the whole game, against some big, tough teams, greatly increasing their workload, fatigue level, and risk of injury. If you don't understand the difference that would make over the course of the season, I can't help you.

Would, should, could, if, blah blah blah blah blah.....all of that is nothing more than an opinion and carries absolutely zero weight. I could say very easily just the opposite...."Kirbyville would stomp a hole in Tatum." or "HJ would get trounced by Bridge City." Does it make it any more or less accurate? Of course not. Let's keep this on a factual basis, whatcha think? I understand how the course of a season will affect a team, but y'all played Kountze the 3rd game of the season and your second game was against a cupcake Kelly team. We played them two weeks later. So by YOUR reasoning, we should have been more worn out just simply by the number of games played. Yet we beat them by twice as much. It's just funny that the ONLY true way of measuring these two teams to see which should be #1, which is common opponents, you're lending no weight to. I guess if my argument was proven invalid then I'd look for other avenues too.  :D

Would, should, could, if, blah blah blah blah blah.....all of that is nothing more than an opinion and carries absolutely zero weight. I could say very easily just the opposite...."Kirbyville would stomp a hole in Tatum." or "HJ would get trounced by Bridge City." Does it make it any more or less accurate? Of course not. Let's keep this on a factual basis, whatcha think? I understand how the course of a season will affect a team, but y'all played Kountze the 3rd game of the season and your second game was against a cupcake Kelly team. We played them two weeks later. So by YOUR reasoning, we should have been more worn out just simply by the number of games played. Yet we beat them by twice as much. It's just funny that the ONLY true way of measuring these two teams to see which should be #1, which is common opponents, you're lending no weight to. I guess if my argument was proven invalid then I'd look for other avenues too.  :D

But your argument HAS been proven invalid. You fail to understand this, but your new revolutionary system for ranking teams has been ignored by 8 of 10 voters on here,as well as statewide polls, college polls, all polls everywhere. For awhile some of the computers in the BCS factored in margin of victory and fans and pundits alike complained because it wasn't a proper measuring stick. Because people who know anything about football understand that blowouts against bad teams don't prove anything, and that two different teams playing two different styles, with two different schedule strengths, two different offenses, etc. cant be compared based on a couple of common results.
Apart from that, if you want to put Kirbyville tops because of your middle school reasoning, one could argue that EC could be on top of Kirbyville because they beat Anahuac by more. But wait, Kirbyville beat Kountze by more than HJ and EC. But HJ beat Center and OF by more than Buna did, and HJ beat Kountze by more than EC did. But Buna beat Anahuac by more than both EC and Kirbyville. And God forbid Buna or EC blow out one of your district's cupcakes by a touchdown or two more than Kirbyville did. that would really mess things up. So maybe WOS should be first because they don't have any common opponents?

Your argument would be like Alabama finishing 11-0 after playing in the SEC, and Fresno St finishing 10-0 in the Mountain West or whatever irrelevant conference they're in, but voters vote Fresno St. #1 because they beat a 3-8 SEC team by 5 TDs in the 2nd week of the season and Alabama only beat them by 3 TDs 5 weeks later. It makes ZERO sense.

You base polls on what the teams have done for the whole season. And you can keep telling yourself this, but 60 point blowouts against JV-type squads will never be equal to 20-30 point wins against playoff quality teams.

But your argument HAS been proven invalid. You fail to understand this, but your new revolutionary system for ranking teams has been ignored by 8 of 10 voters on here,as well as statewide polls, college polls, all polls everywhere. For awhile some of the computers in the BCS factored in margin of victory and fans and pundits alike complained because it wasn't a proper measuring stick. Because people who know anything about football understand that blowouts against bad teams don't prove anything, and that two different teams playing two different styles, with two different schedule strengths, two different offenses, etc. cant be compared based on a couple of common results.
Apart from that, if you want to put Kirbyville tops because of your middle school reasoning, one could argue that EC could be on top of Kirbyville because they beat Anahuac by more. But wait, Kirbyville beat Kountze by more than HJ and EC. But HJ beat Center and OF by more than Buna did, and HJ beat Kountze by more than EC did. But Buna beat Anahuac by more than both EC and Kirbyville. And God forbid Buna or EC blow out one of your district's cupcakes by a touchdown or two more than Kirbyville did. that would really mess things up. So maybe WOS should be first because they don't have any common opponents?

Your argument would be like Alabama finishing 11-0 after playing in the SEC, and Fresno St finishing 10-0 in the Mountain West or whatever irrelevant conference they're in, but voters vote Fresno St. #1 because they beat a 3-8 SEC team by 5 TDs in the 2nd week of the season and Alabama only beat them by 3 TDs 5 weeks later. It makes ZERO sense.

You base polls on what the teams have done for the whole season. And you can keep telling yourself this, but 60 point blowouts against JV-type squads will never be equal to 20-30 point wins against playoff quality teams.

One more time.... ~ HJ has NOT beaten any top level teams. They have only beaten average and below average teams that are pound for pound not much better than the ones Kirbyville has beaten. They are all 3a and 4a teams no matter what their past history is. You can lean on the past all you want if it makes you feel better about your assumptions that they are 'good, quality' teams, but it doesn't change reality. This year they are all average at best, with several being below average....just like Kirbyville's opponents. Kirbyville is a 3a team that played at their level or above (two 4a teams and one 3a team) in their pre-district schedule. (We could only schedule 3 because of an 8 team district) HJ is a 4a team that played at their level or below (4 other 4a teams, one 3a team, and a private school) in their pre-district schedule. There is no significant difference in who the two teams have played. Which brings us back to common opponents which has already been proven to favor Kirbyville. But you are right about one thing at least, HJ is ranked ahead of Kirbyville for whatever reason and if the perception of 8 out of 10 voters is strength of schedule, then that's it. I'm glad to know that 2 out of 10 have some sense to them at least..

One more time.... ~ HJ has NOT beaten any top level teams. They have only beaten average and below average teams that are pound for pound not much better than the ones Kirbyville has beaten. They are all 3a and 4a teams no matter what their past history is. You can lean on the past all you want if it makes you feel better about your assumptions that they are 'good, quality' teams, but it doesn't change reality. This year they are all average at best, with several being below average....just like Kirbyville's opponents. Kirbyville is a 3a team that played at their level or above (two 4a teams and one 3a team) in their pre-district schedule. (We could only schedule 3 because of an 8 team district) HJ is a 4a team that played at their level or below (4 other 4a teams, one 3a team, and a private school) in their pre-district schedule. There is no significant difference in who the two teams have played. Which brings us back to common opponents which has already been proven to favor Kirbyville. But you are right about one thing at least, HJ is ranked ahead of Kirbyville for whatever reason and if the perception of 8 out of 10 voters is strength of schedule, then that's it. I'm glad to know that 2 out of 10 have some sense to them at least..

And there goes any credibility you thought you had. Seriously. Unless you're in middle school, or maybe high school. Your logic can be excused then, maybe, if you're on the team or in the band or something. I'm assuming you think EC is a "top-level team" because they're 6-0 without beating a decent team yet? Because you clearly know nothing about football if you're saying that LCM, OF, Tatum, Jasper, and Center are "pound for pound not much better than the teams Kirbyville has beaten." You're showing your ignorance, because you think that a 4-3 team that has lost to by 1 point to Buna, a TD to HJ, and 2 TDs to Kirbyville really isn't that much better than a 1-5 team that's scored 2 offensive touchdowns all year. Or an LCM team that is 4-3 and lost to HJ, WOS, and Barbers Hill is somehow not much better than Bridge City. That Tatum, who has 4 losses, 3 of which are to top-10 teams in the state, two of those by 7 or less, is somehow comparable to Deweyville or one of the other really bad squads in your district because Tatum is 2-4 and Deweyville is 1-5. Yes, pound for pound, all five teams listed are MILES in front of the terrible teams you've beaten. All five of them will go to the playoffs with winning records, and all five will be tough to beat. Their records have suffered because they've played extremely difficult schedules and dropped some games. I can understand why you would have trouble giving the credit for doing so, because you're watching your team beat the crap out of bad teams thinking your team is improving because of it. If you're saying those teams are average, then I'm telling you Buna and EC are average too. I'd put odds on the fact that all five of them would easily compete for 2nd or 3rd place in your district, except for Tatum, who would possibly win it.

I'm done with this. Your argument lacks merit, the voters on this site clearly agree, and I'm positive that they know more about football than you. The voters at the college level disagree with your theory, and I KNOW they know more about football than you. And you seriously stated that the teams that HJ has beaten aren't much better than the teams that Kirbyville has beaten. So yeah, you've made all of my points for me just by doing that.

And there goes any credibility you thought you had. Seriously. Unless you're in middle school, or maybe high school. Your logic can be excused then, maybe, if you're on the team or in the band or something. I'm assuming you think EC is a "top-level team" because they're 6-0 without beating a decent team yet? Because you clearly know nothing about football if you're saying that LCM, OF, Tatum, Jasper, and Center are "pound for pound not much better than the teams Kirbyville has beaten." You're showing your ignorance, because you think that a 4-3 team that has lost to by 1 point to Buna, a TD to HJ, and 2 TDs to Kirbyville really isn't that much better than a 1-5 team that's scored 2 offensive touchdowns all year. Or an LCM team that is 4-3 and lost to HJ, WOS, and Barbers Hill is somehow not much better than Bridge City. That Tatum, who has 4 losses, 3 of which are to top-10 teams in the state, two of those by 7 or less, is somehow comparable to Deweyville or one of the other really bad squads in your district because Tatum is 2-4 and Deweyville is 1-5. Yes, pound for pound, all five teams listed are MILES in front of the terrible teams you've beaten. All five of them will go to the playoffs with winning records, and all five will be tough to beat. Their records have suffered because they've played extremely difficult schedules and dropped some games. I can understand why you would have trouble giving the credit for doing so, because you're watching your team beat the crap out of bad teams thinking your team is improving because of it. If you're saying those teams are average, then I'm telling you Buna and EC are average too. I'd put odds on the fact that all five of them would easily compete for 2nd or 3rd place in your district, except for Tatum, who would possibly win it.

I'm done with this. Your argument lacks merit, the voters on this site clearly agree, and I'm positive that they know more about football than you. The voters at the college level disagree with your theory, and I KNOW they know more about football than you. And you seriously stated that the teams that HJ has beaten aren't much better than the teams that Kirbyville has beaten. So yeah, you've made all of my points for me just by doing that.

Hahahahahaha!!! I knew it!!! Lol.. I knew you'd come back in anger and type out a book, then say you were done. I am lmao. I told my buddy here at work this would happen and he is laughing his off too. This is awesome. This happens to EVERYONE when they are backed into a corner. Lol.. Come on back man. I'll ease up. Lmao..  :D  :lol:  :D

Look, HJ would slam Kirbyville down in a thrashing. That's all there is to it. 

All this talk of records and other gibberish is just that, gibberish. Some K'ville fans just don't like someone else finally grabbing some spotlight. Every dog (or hawk) has his day and today it is the Hawks. 

Look, HJ would slam Kirbyville down in a thrashing. That's all there is to it. 

All this talk of records and other gibberish is just that, gibberish. Some K'ville fans just don't like someone else finally grabbing some spotlight. Every dog (or hawk) has his day and today it is the Hawks. 

Another scared Hawk fan that's glad they don't have to play Kirbyville. Lol..

Another scared Hawk fan that's glad they don't have to play Kirbyville. Lol..

Not only am I not a fan, I have never seen an HJ game in any sport. I am going to assume that I will never see one unless they have a playoff game in Nederland and I am in town with nothing to do.