SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 8

WOSgrad

The nice thing for y'all while making these statements is that you don't have to worry about losing to the hawks. I think both would be good games, but I don't see either beating HJ. The best comparison you'll have is when you play Kirbyville. We'll see how Buna and EC do against them and then I'll be happy to reevaluate my statement.

The H-J that gave up (almost) 40 to H-F?  EC beat them 33-14, and it could have been by more.

I was thinking more about the HJ team that gave up a TD in garbage time to center but still beat them by 30, while Buna beat them by ten, and also beat OF by a TD while Buna beat them by 1 and only won because OF missed two FGs.

HJ also beat kountze by a couple more TDs than EC did. But when I look at East Chambers' schedule, I don't see a single decent team on it so far, while HJ has played several, so I feel like I have a little more to feel comfortable about. I said the same thing to Kirbyville fans, and look what happened there...

To NewtonNation.....the voters were right? How did our loss to Buna 'prove' that? They had us ranked ahead of Buna.....yet they were right? Fact is͵ nobody over-estimated Kirbyville. We just under-estimated Buna's ability to adjust. Buna did an outstanding job of finding a weakness and exploiting it and deserved the win. I hope they win all the way to the quarterfinals where we'll meet them again. That would be the game of the year in my opinion.

To NewtonNation.....the voters were right? How did our loss to Buna 'prove' that? They had us ranked ahead of Buna.....yet they were right? Fact is͵ nobody over-estimated Kirbyville. We just under-estimated Buna's ability to adjust. Buna did an outstanding job of finding a weakness and exploiting it and deserved the win. I hope they win all the way to the quarterfinals where we'll meet them again. That would be the game of the year in my opinion.

If yall make it that far that is lol

Guest ECBucFan

If H-F put almost 40 on you, then Kirbyville and Buna would put 60 on you.

If you played EC, EC would shut you down, AGAIN, just like they did last year with essentially the same team.

If H-F put almost 40 on you, then Kirbyville and Buna would put 60 on you.

If you played EC, EC would shut you down, AGAIN, just like they did last year with essentially the same team.

You're basing your prediction on last season and all of the bad teams y'all beaten this year. Which means you're basing this on nothing. And if you truly think Buna or Kirbyville would put 60 up on HJ, you're smoking something. Again, easy to make predictions when your team will never have to back them up. Get back to me when EC beats anyone. That 19 point win over HF that you think is a big deal because HJ only beat them by 15 is all you got. The best team you've beaten is likely the 6th best team HJ has beaten. But maybe the 5th. So there's that.

Guest ECBucFan

Don't play the coulda, woulda game. That goes both ways.

Its not a 'coulda, woulda game". Its called good sportsmanship. I thought you would have been able to infer the meaning of my previous statement. Reference the current Hardin thread. EC can and will take their foot off the gas. But if you want to penalize them in the polls for doing so, have at it.

Its not a 'coulda, woulda game". Its called good sportsmanship. I thought you would have been able to infer the meaning of my previous statement. Reference the current Hardin thread. EC can and will take their foot off the gas. But if you want to penalize them in the polls for doing so, have at it.

How do you get penalized in a meaningless poll? Do we take points off of the scoreboard, are the high school playoff based on them or does the other team get extra downs when needed? Polls are for conversation only unless you are talking the BCS in college where polls in some percentage determine seeding. 

The problem with polling is that it is subjective on whatever the voter believes is pertinent. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and in the case of pollsters, only their vote (opinion) counts in that particular poll. 

You can look at professional polls like high school AP, coaches' poll, etc. Let me know when you have one that makes 100% for the year. The fact is that the poll change each week no matter who does them and if you were a pollster, some of your picks would turn out wrong also. It is just a guess.

The ultimate polling in effect is Las Vegas and gambling. They give their predictions and it isn't on who they like as a favorite team but who they can make millions of dollars on. The only poll there is green as in money. The group setting the odds might as a consensus love the Dallas Cowboys but they aren't going to lose millions of dollars to show their loyalty. Their "vote" goes to who they think will win by how many points and yet these professionals with so much to lose, get it wrong every week. They win more than they lose but they are not 100% on anything. 

All polling is a guess dependent on what a person "thinks" will happen. As we can obviously see, no one with 100% certainty can predict the outcome of games. Is a sportswriter's opinion more valid than yours or mine? I don't think so yet they are involved in much of the statewide polling. In some cases like Old Coach or Dave Campbell's, it is a person or group that each organization puts together at their discretion. Are their opinions more valid than yours or mine? No. They are just opinions and like all opinions, they vary from person to person. 

In your case you believe the EC deserves a higher ranking. I respect that and maybe they do. Time will tell. If they beat Buna this week their stock will probably rise. If so I am sure that some other team will feel they are being "penalized". 

Guest ECBucFan

. That 19 point win over HF that you think is a big deal because HJ only beat them by 15 is all you got.

Its the best direct comparison out there. You would not hesitate for a split second to use it if it would benefit you.

Also: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/East-Chambers-contains-Hardin-Jefferson-4841908.php

Finally, you give up 39 to HF, Buna and Kirbyville hangs 60 on ya. You are so H-J biased you can't deal with it, LOL.

Hard for me to understand undefeated teams griping about other undefeated teams beating tougher schedules being ranked higher. You're not being punished for not running up the score against bad teams. You're being punished because you haven't had an opportunity to beat good teams. And last year's results don't have weight in this year's polls.

Guest ECBucFan

Y'all are missing the point. I never said "you are "punishing" EC in the rankings".

This whole dialogue is about a 4A "homer" looking down his nose at the 3A teams, when there is nothing to justify it. 

I am serious, you can take EC completely out of the poll as far as I am concerned.

Its the best direct comparison out there. You would not hesitate for a split second to use it if it would benefit you.

Also: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/East-Chambers-contains-Hardin-Jefferson-4841908.php

Finally, you give up 39 to HF, Buna and Kirbyville hangs 60 on ya. You are so H-J biased you can't deal with it, LOL.

How come their results against kountze isn't the best direct comparison?