Barbay Coldspring Oakhurst

MEM

Your surely are joking.  Barbay several times took CS much farther in the playoffs than Jasper has been in a long, long time.

Joking? The last time Coldspring was in a district with Jasper...Kirbyville, Silsbee they won 1 game.  According to Lonestar Football Network...who misses games from time to time. The won 1 game that year.

The very next year..and every year after..they got moved into a district with Tarkington, Shepherd, Liberty (who's been bad since late 90's early 2000's), Splendora....oh and they went from 1 win to 8 wins.

Yeah Barbay is probably a good coach. And probably changed the attitude of the school. And definitely had some quality wins. But...you mean to tell me that changing districts had absolutely nothing to do with winning more games? Nothing? Look at the records recently of the schools I mentioned above. Oh and this year they moved into a district with Huntington and Diboll...who won what..3 games between them.

Let me ask you something...this year Boise St went 12-2.  Alabama went 12-2.  Who's better? or does conference opponents not matter?

Yeah, I'd think those playoff runs torpedo your theory about a weak district = cs wins.

Wrong. They are directly related. Coach changes system, changes attitude, then tells kids what he does is what works. Then they go from losing to winning.. Hooked. Kids don't know the schedule is different...they just know they're winning. Winning is contagious. Before you know it more kids want to be involved...then maybe you get a really talented group to go with that winning attitude...deep playoff runs. But I promise it started when they went from 1 win to 8 wins.

There is a reason new coaches make schedules conducive for winning...they want their players to believe in them. Kids don't know the difference. Barbay didn't have to do that...UIL did it for him.

So a guy builds a state championship... not a district championship... a STATE Championship contender, and it's because the UIL moved him out of Jasper's district.  This is an argument... but one of the most threadbare weak I've ever read in this particular instance. 

2005-1 win, 2006-8 wins, 2007-5 wins, 2008-5 wins, 2009-10 wins, 2010-14 wins, 2011-14 wins, 2012-9 wins, 2013-9 wins, 2014-9 wins

Did you read my post? Did they go to a state contender the year after switching districts? They didn't play for a state championship until 2010. 5 seasons after just having 1 win.  Like I said...the kids started winning and started believing in what they were doing. Winning is contagious. More kids will want to get involved. Then...add a really good group of athletes to that attitude. By the way...in 10 and 11 Coldspring lost to the eventual state champion.  Making them a contender for the state championship. Since then they haven't even been knocked out by a team that even played for the state championship. What happened? Is he a worse coach than he was in 2011?  Or is my theory of having a really good group making some more sense?

I don't know the circumstances, but I wish Coach Barbary well  no matter what   the outcome is. However, being  an athletic director is much more than building a football program.  It is also important to build  relationships and treat people with dignity and respect. This why I am a strong proponent of the   AD position  being  a position of 'NEUTRALITY"  which means no head  coach should be in this position.

I don't know the circumstances, but I wish Coach Barbary well  no matter what   the outcome is. However, being  an athletic director is much more than building a football program.  It is also important to build  relationships and treat people with dignity and respect. This why I am a strong proponent of the   AD position  being  a position of 'NEUTRALITY"  which means no head  coach should be in this position.

I agree with you. On all statements. However.. small schools (4A and down) will never get good football coaches if they don't make it an AD position. Mostly because of money. It's an administrative salary.  Most schools probably wont pay that and a high enough salary to get a good Head Football Coach. It just won't happen.

My research shows Barbay was hired in summer of 07, meaning his first off-season where he got to implement his program in earnest was 2008.  That's a short ride from there to the State Title game, I don't think you can chalk that up to who their district opponents were... but hey, whatever makes you feel right.