Texas ready to drop high school steroid testing

Bigdog

It is a waste of resources and only became a big deal because it was sensationalized in the media.

The initial story was probably overblown like you stated but I do think high school PED use still happens. The problem is the test and style they're using. First, there are no baseline T levels of athletes to get a delta from making it hard to determine what's real vs artificial levels. Secondly, the urine test they give can easily be beaten if you have the means to get the proper stuff making the test a waste of money. The only places high school PED use probably happens are in the more affluent areas of the state. It's just hard for some people to come to terms with how good the football is down here.

The initial story was probably overblown like you stated but I do think high school PED use still happens. The problem is the test and style they're using. First, there are no baseline T levels of athletes to get a delta from making it hard to determine what's real vs artificial levels. Secondly, the urine test they give can easily be beaten if you have the means to get the proper stuff making the test a waste of money. The only places high school PED use probably happens are in the more affluent areas of the state. It's just hard for some people to come to terms with how good the football is down here.

Steroid use happens everywhere. Know of a sixman school were the coach was the provider. The problem with the system is the UIL would only test at certain schools.

Steroid use happens everywhere. Know of a sixman school were the coach was the provider. The problem with the system is the UIL would only test at certain schools.

If you are no playing pansy without steroids then once you take steroids you will become a no playing pansy on steroids. 

Agreed...but an all district player becomes an all state player if he runs a little test/decca stack

I have to disagree with that. But you are correct that it could push a player to the next level, but they have to be close to that next level to begin with. So the all-district to all-state correlation is just to big of jump. 

I have to disagree with that. But you are correct that it could push a player to the next level, but they have to be close to that next level to begin with. So the all-district to all-state correlation is just to big of jump.

I'm not sure about that. I had a teammate go from a 165 pound backup in college to a 210 pound CFL All-Pro. My other buddy went from a rotational player to an All-American. I saw guys who couldn't crack the 2-deep in fall crush people in the Spring because they're 25 pounds heavier, a tenth or two faster and didn't fatigue as fast as everyone else. I don't think the jump is too big at all.

I had a friend who was a mediocre college pitcher at best that threw 88mph, ran a couple of cycles, got his fastball up to 95, and got drafted pretty early in the draft..just saying

I'm not sure about that. I had a teammate go from a 165 pound backup in college to a 210 pound CFL All-Pro. My other buddy went from a rotational player to an All-American. I saw guys who couldn't crack the 2-deep in fall crush people in the Spring because they're 25 pounds heavier, a tenth or two faster and didn't fatigue as fast as everyone else. I don't think the jump is too big at all.

Comparing high school athletes with college athletes. So I will stick by my original statement.

And I played college ball too (started 2 years on the o-line my Soph and Sr years) , and I never did steroids. I know plenty who did. So I do not want to come across as being a jerk to you because you are correct, but one thing I notice is that by the time the season had taken I was actually stronger then the guys who cycled because I just kept working and was making slow but steady gains threw the whole season.