Yogi

Wikipedia

Born in St. Louis, Missouri in a primarily Italian neighborhood called "The Hill", Berra was the son of immigrants who originally nicknamed him Lawdie, derived from his mother Paulina's difficulty pronouncing Lawrence or Larry correctly. He grew up on Elizabeth Avenue, just a few doors down from his boyhood friend and later competitor Joe Garagiola (that block, also home to the late baseball broadcaster Jack Buck, has subsequently been renamed "Hall of Fame Place"). Berra has also been inducted into the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

He picked up his more famous nickname from a friend who said he resembled a Hindu holy man (yogi) they had seen in a movie, whenever Berra sat around with arms and legs crossed waiting to bat, or while looking sad after a losing game. (Years later, the Hanna-Barbera cartoon character Yogi Bear was named after Berra, something Berra did not appreciate after he started being periodically addressed as "Yogi Bear.")

He began playing baseball in local American Legion leagues, where he learned the basics of play as a catcher.

Why did I post this? Because I met the friend in this story, a local Beaumont man in his 80's today who gave Yogi his nickname.

What a great man, he told me many old baseball stories. He actually seen Babe Ruth play. Him and Yogi were 15 ys old when he gave Yogi his nickname. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92