Big news out of Alvin ISD!

power shift from DFW to the Greater Houston Area coming soon. 

I think it's already happening in 5A, I've seen three different outlets rank region 3 the deepest in the state. It's just that our elite teams struggle to beat their elite teams. Other than about 5 6A schools down here, region three trails one and two big time. 

When they get done with Generation Park in Northeast Hatris County I think you'll see even more 5A powers in the region. 

I think it's already happening in 5A, I've seen three different outlets rank region 3 the deepest in the state. It's just that our elite teams struggle to beat their elite teams. Other than about 5 6A schools down here, region three trails one and two big time. 

When they get done with Generation Park in Northeast Hatris County I think you'll see even more 5A powers in the region. 

they not finished with that yet? Thought they started building that up in 2012?

• 4 weeks later...

Triangle still has far more pros than any of those areas per capita . We get our share of talent but a lot of it doesn't get the coaching in high school . A lot of our schools are short on quality coaching .  Although everyone has one or two dedicated individuals . Like most things a few good people who always do the right thing !

until someone knocks off Ennis,  Aledo, Allen, Cedar Hill  yall can talk all you want. I mean dfw schools won ALL 4 of the bigger school state championships last year, and have won a good majority of them over the past decade.How can you argue with that??? When was the last time a true southeast texas school won a state title?

until someone knocks off Ennis,  Aledo, Allen, Cedar Hill  yall can talk all you want. I mean dfw schools won ALL 4 of the bigger school state championships last year, and have won a good majority of them over the past decade.How can you argue with that??? When was the last time a true southeast texas school won a state title?

Uncle Pig is correct. the ONLY consistent power in region 3 big school is Katy. End of story. other than that se texas is far behind.

Triangle still has far more pros than any of those areas per capita . We get our share of talent but a lot of it doesn't get the coaching in high school . A lot of our schools are short on quality coaching .  Although everyone has one or two dedicated individuals . Like most things a few good people who always do the right thing !

$$

Guess no one wants to travel out here to the refinery mecca..lol

It would be epic, if they put in a state of the art stadium by the new school. Not sure if there is enough room, or financial means, but that would be grand. 

We traveled there in 1974, played Hamshire-Fannett in Bi-District round. Match up between #1 and #2 in state rankings.

That would have to be WOS in 88. Only other appearances by SETX, was PN-G 99, WO-S 2000 and 2014

Other than Navasota the DFW region has actually swept all the titles down through 4A the last couple of years too. Not sure about the "how can you argue that" comment when I already said "Other than about 5 6A schools down here, region three trails one and two big time."

My statement was about the strength of 5A football in the region. I believe the number was something like 35% of the top 40 5A teams in the state reside in region three. When you get schools like Manvel and Shadow Creek thrown in the mix it gets even tougher. Houston is about to pass Chicago as the third largest city in the country, that growth is why you see new schools like Manvel, George Ranch and Ridge Point open up and immediately become state powers at the 5A level. The Generation Park comment you originally responded to will add to those powers.

Other than Navasota the DFW region has actually swept all the titles down through 4A the last couple of years too. Not sure about the "how can you argue that" comment when I already said "Other than about 5 6A schools down here, region three trails one and two big time."

My statement was about the strength of 5A football in the region. I believe the number was something like 35% of the top 40 5A teams in the state reside in region three. When you get schools like Manvel and Shadow Creek thrown in the mix it gets even tougher. Houston is about to pass Chicago as the third largest city in the country, that growth is why you see new schools like Manvel, George Ranch and Ridge Point open up and immediately become state powers at the 5A level. The Generation Park comment you originally responded to will add to those powers.

Personally,  I don't think rankings are a fair assessment of how good a team is.  Especially in high school.  I know there is nothing else to judge a team on other than overall record...but you have to remember that these teams down here are playing against other teams from down here.  I'm not saying it won't change eventually..but as of right now north and east Texas are far and away better when it comes to high school football.  The reason some of the teams up there may not be ranked as high..or at all..is because most games are absolute slug fests. You see it every year..the #whatever team in the state with maybe 1 or no losses loses to a team with several losses and may not be ranked at all.

Almost every game in Region 2 (big schools) could very well be the deciding game of the State Championship.  It's not like that down here (yet).  That's why there may be several ranked schools...not to say there aren't good teams.  But that's my theory on it. 

Uncle Pig is correct. the ONLY consistent power in region 3 big school is Katy. End of story. other than that se texas is far behind.

The gap will only continue to grow too. SETX is behind in funding, enrollment and compensation. People out there think it's cyclical but it's not, the times are changing. Half of the powerhouse schools didn't even exist 10-15 years ago, not to mention schools like Dickinson that were open but doubled in enrollment the last decade or so.

There will always be talent in the Triangle but as far as coaching goes, the only ones taking jobs in SETX are probably young guys getting their start or guys from the area who want to stay and build something.

The coach from Alief Hastings who's been on the job 4 years probably makes more than Neumann who's been on it like 23 or something, and Hastings sucks but you can basically make 6 figures and buy a house15 mins up the road in Katy while you "rebuild". 

Here are some the salaries in Houston, other than HISD it would be hard for a SETX school to pull any of these guys away from their jobs. You can make more coaching at an ISD school here than being an AD at a school in SETX.

This is the hidden content, please

Alot of the Houston area new schools will be 5A. More and more districts are wanting that 1500 to 2200 enrollment at the hs level. UIL probably needs to do some more adjusting of numbers. It will never be perfect though, your still going to be competing against schools with 800 to 1000 more kids as you get to 5A or 6A.

The gap will only continue to grow too. SETX is behind in funding, enrollment and compensation. People out there think it's cyclical but it's not, the times are changing. Half of the powerhouse schools didn't even exist 10-15 years ago, not to mention schools like Dickinson that were open but doubled in enrollment the last decade or so.

+10,000

There will always be talent in the Triangle but as far as coaching goes, the only ones taking jobs in SETX are probably young guys getting their start or guys from the area who want to stay and build something.

The coach from Alief Hastings who's been on the job 4 years probably makes more than Neumann who's been on it like 23 or something, and Hastings sucks but you can basically make 6 figures and buy a house15 mins up the road in Katy while you "rebuild". 

Here are some the salaries in Houston, other than HISD it would be hard for a SETX school to pull any of these guys away from their jobs. You can make more coaching at an ISD school here than being an AD at a school in SETX.

nice salaries....check how much the head coaches at Allen, Southlake Carroll, HIghland Park, Euless Trinity make

Personally,  I don't think rankings are a fair assessment of how good a team is.  Especially in high school.  I know there is nothing else to judge a team on other than overall record...but you have to remember that these teams down here are playing against other teams from down here.  I'm not saying it won't change eventually..but as of right now north and east Texas are far and away better when it comes to high school football.  The reason some of the teams up there may not be ranked as high..or at all..is because most games are absolute slug fests. You see it every year..the #whatever team in the state with maybe 1 or no losses loses to a team with several losses and may not be ranked at all.

Almost every game in Region 2 (big schools) could very well be the deciding game of the State Championship.  It's not like that down here (yet).  That's why there may be several ranked schools...not to say there aren't good teams.  But that's my theory on it. 

You're right as far as 6A. One of my cousins was a three year starter at qb for Arlington Bowie, I watched him play a lot of those games. One of my other cousins was an All-American TE at North Shore and I got to see him play teams like Katy and Converse Judson. Other than Allen lately, the 5 top teams in Houston can play with the 5 top teams in the DFW which is why you saw Pearland beat an undefeated Trinity in the title game. It's the depth of 6A programs, like Mansfield beating Cedar Hill in district, that sets the DFW apart. My buddies in Dallas always tell me "our state championship game is the first week of December".

As far as 5A it's the reverse. We're deeper after the top 5 but our top 5 struggle against theirs. I agree on the rankings part but if you really look at them you'll see that surprisingly more often than not teams play to those projections.  

You're right as far as 6A. One of my cousins was a three year starter at qb for Arlington Bowie, I watched him play a lot of those games. One of my other cousins was an All-American TE at North Shore and I got to see him play teams like Katy and Converse Judson. Other than Allen lately, the 5 top teams in Houston can play with the 5 top teams in the DFW which is why you saw Pearland beat an undefeated Trinity in the title game. It's the depth of 6A programs, like Mansfield beating Cedar Hill in district, that sets the DFW apart. My buddies in Dallas always tell me "our state championship game is the first week of December".

As far as 5A it's the reverse. We're deeper after the top 5 but our top 5 struggle against theirs. I agree on the rankings part but if you really look at them you'll see that surprisingly more often than not teams play to those projections.  

the exact same thing I used to say when I lived up north, the crowds were epic for a non-state title game. The teams were legit. 

the exact same thing I used to say when I lived up north, the crowds were epic for a non-state title game. The teams were legit. 

Yeah, I saw Carroll play Trinity in the second round at Texas Stadium when they were ranked #1 and #2 in the state. Looked to me like there was about 50,000 in there for a stand-alone game. Probably the best high school game I've ever seen in person besides the North Shore vs Madison game.

Acutually, the salaries are comparable with the exception of some the Katy schools. This article is several years old so I'm sure most of these are higher.

Edited by bigdog

Yeah, I saw Carroll play Trinity in the second round at Texas Stadium when they were ranked #1 and #2 in the state. Looked to me like there was about 50,000 in there for a stand-alone game. Probably the best high school game I've ever seen in person besides the North Shore vs Madison game.

Was at the dome and VY was the best high school qb I have ever seen. He looked like a man playing with boys and NS was no joke.

Acutually, the salaries are comparable with the exception of some the Katy schools. This article is several years old so I'm sure most of these are higher.

Idk, I know at one point when Stew was at Dayton he was the 12th highest paid coach in the state. Even with all the years of experience I doubt Neumann makes as much as Riordan, Hancock and definitely not Gage. Alief and Klein ISD's start their coaches out around 100k. Every coach in Conroe makes over 100k and schools like Caney Creek and Conroe are awful. I think the guys in Humble ISD get paid well too. 

I know  Foreman started out at only 80k, I'm sure Suggs is around there too and Flannigan probably doesn't make much more. Those are HISD salaries over here. Idk what Fairclothe makes now but it's hard to compete with the salaries over here when the tax bases are so huge and continue to grow when compared to SETX schools. Those increases probably aren't much more than cost of living raises simply because there no other way to justify the raise. 

5A Region I is going to be shaken up next year. Should be a lot deeper and right their with Region III overall.

Edited by RaiderRed30