SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 10

WOSgrad

I was serious when I said that's like moving up two spots too. We're judged against teams other voters see every week and in some cases have an emotional attachment to. New Caney has two district losses already, that's hard to rank against a team that's won six straight if you don't see the quality of teams they lost to or beat. Crosby actually picked up a first place for in the AP poll after going to OT with New Caney. 

The won-loss pct of the teams Channelview has defeated this year is .347 and they have lost 2 of the 7 games they have played since they won the game that supposedly puts them on top of Nederland.  The won loss pct of the teams Dayton has defeated this year is .390, just .007 higher than the won loss pct. of the teams defeated by Nederland, and they have lost 2 of the 6 games they have played since they played in the game that supposedly puts them ahead of Nederland.  Meanwhile,the lowly Nederland Bulldogs have won all 6 of the games that they have played since they suffered the loss that supposedly dooms them.

Further since these early season games, only twice have any of these teams beaten a team which currently possesses a .500 or better record at this point.  Both of those victories are owned, again, by the lowly Nederland Bulldogs.

It has also caused me to ponder this question. If the poll is so freaking biased towards teams "east of the Trinity," how is it that the #1 team in that poll (unanimously voted that way by all of the dumb butt East of the Trinity homers) resides west of the Trinity and that the teams occupying the 2-4 spots are west of the freaking San Jacinto?

And yet again, I must ponder the following question, for now the second week in a row.  If, Channelview has a gripe, Dayton has a gripe and/or New Caney have a gripe about this poll, why is the griping being done exclusively by folks from Lick Skillet?

Edited by WOSgrad

Why are there no complaints in the 4A/3A and 2A/Private polls from West of the Trinity?

Y'all don't cover Stafford or La Marque, pretty much all the small schools over there are better but we really don't have that many in general. I would imagine those two schools along with East Bernard and Boling would be ranked over there though.

Y'all don't cover Stafford or La Marque, pretty much all the small schools over there are better but we really don't have that many in general. I would imagine those two schools along with East Bernard and Boling would be ranked over there though.

Interesting.

We are considered "over there". Maybe we need to condense our coverage.

The won-loss pct of the teams Channelview has defeated this year is .347 and they have lost 2 of the 7 games they have played since they won the game that supposedly puts them on top of Nederland.  The won loss pct of the teams Dayton has defeated this year is .390, just .007 higher than the won loss pct. of the teams defeated by Nederland, and they have lost 2 of the 6 games they have played since they played in the game that supposedly puts them ahead of Nederland.  Meanwhile,the lowly Nederland Bulldogs have won all 6 of the games that they have played since they suffered the loss that supposedly dooms them.

Further since these early season games, only twice have any of these teams beaten a team which currently possesses a .500 or better record at this point.  Both of those victories are owned, again, by the lowly Nederland Bulldogs.

It has also caused me to ponder this question. If the poll is so freaking biased towards teams "east of the Trinity," how is it that the #1 team in that poll (unanimously voted that way by all of the dumb butt East of the Trinity homers) resides west of the Trinity and that the teams occupying the 2-4 spots are west of the freaking San Jacinto?

And yet again, I must ponder the following question, for now the second week in a row.  If, Channelview has a gripe, Dayton has a gripe and/or New Caney have a gripe about this poll, why is the griping being done exclusively by folks from Lick Skillet?

Whenever you win all of your games it's not griping, it's pointing things out. We're #1, #2 or #3 in every poll in the state, who could we logically be put behind if we have no losses? My issue is that if it wasn't for Nederland's three wins 22-5A would be would be 0-22 against us the last four years, but even the soon to be 5-time defending district champ is 3-7 overall against us in that span. Think about it, Ned is 34-1 their last 35 district games I believe, yet they have 7 times more losses in a little over the third of their games once they come west. Those wins over PNG and Central aren't that valuable when those teams come west and get the treatment too.  

Dayton, yes. New Caney, no.

But that is okay, to appease the ever suffering folks from Lick Skillet, I will post the rankings from mecca.com which covers the SETXsports area.

6A/5A

1.     Crosby

2.     C.E. King

3.     New Caney

4.     Dayton

5.     Barbers Hill

6.     Humble

7.     Kingwood Park

8.     La Porte

9.     Galena Park North Shore

10.   Channelview

4A/3A

1.     Crosby JV

2.     C.E. King JV

3.     Galena Park

4.     Porter

5.     New Caney JV

6.     Dayton JV

7.     Barbers Hill JV

8.     Humble JV

9.     Kingwood Park JV

10.   East Chambers

2A/Private

1.    Crosby Freshmen

2.    C.E. King Freshmen

3.    New Caney Freshmen

4.    Galena Park JV

5.    Porter JV

6.    Dayton Freshmen

7.    Barbers Hill Freshmen

8.    Humble Freshmen

9.    Kingwood Park Freshmen

10.  Crosby Victory and Praise

Todd, this is one of the greatest things you have ever come up with! Truly masterful.

I do, however, have to report one change in the mecca.com rankings.  Splendora has replaced East Chambers in the #10 team in the 4A/3A rankings.  According to the site, "We mistakenly thought that East Chambers was a school west of the Trinity River.  However, upon re-reading the local map, we found that Winnie, where East Chambers High School is located, is actually east of the Trinity River and there is no school east of the Trinity that possesses the quality to be in any top 10 ranking.  Thus, we amended our rankings to replace them with the Wildcats, a much more appropriate choice given their geographic location."

Edited by WOSgrad

I do, however, have to report one change in the mecca.com rankings.  Splendora has replaced East Chambers in the #10 team in the 4A/3A rankings.  According to the site, "We mistakenly thought that East Chambers was a school west of the Trinity River.  However, upon re-reading the local map, we found that Winnie, where East Chambers High School is located, is actually east of the Trinity River and there is no school east of the Trinity that possesses the quality to be in any top 10 ranking.  Thus, we amended our rankings to replace them with the Wildcats, a much more appropriate choice given their geographic location."

Splendid:)

I understand, I had to change my rankings too. I moved WOS in front of La Marque and behind Stafford. I left East Bernard at #4 even though they have two losses, they've been the best 3A team around here for the last 5 years and should handle anybody from The Triangle that they would face.

Perhaps I am late to the party, but did not Dayton beat Nederland earlier in the year. If the common opponent measuring stick is what's deciding where to rank these schools, should not Dayton still be ahead of Nederland, in the polls? I am not sure I comprehend the logic. Or, is this the Alabama (SEC) AP poll system being utilized in this format. If so, I completely comprehend. History has proven that the Dayton/Crosby/King district has it's way with the Beaumont boys. So, the SEC is west of the Trinity? Man, now I am all confused.

Perhaps I am late to the party, but did not Dayton beat Nederland earlier in the year. If the common opponent measuring stick is what's deciding where to rank these schools, should not Dayton still be ahead of Nederland, in the polls? I am not sure I comprehend the logic. Or, is this the Alabama (SEC) AP poll system being utilized in this format. If so, I completely comprehend. History has proven that the Dayton/Crosby/King district has it's way with the Beaumont boys. So, the SEC is west of the Trinity? Man, now I am all confused.

They sure did. Since that game Nederland has gone on a 6-0 run and Dayton is 4-2. 

Do you keep a team higher because they beat a team ranked lower?  Since the Dayton loss Nederland has beaten two ranked teams including one that was #3 at the time. In the final week of the season Dayton plays Porter who has not won a game in district. If Porter wins, do they jump up above Dayton (and therefore other teams) because they beat them?

One game does not make a season. 

They sure did. Since that game Nederland has gone on a 6-0 run and Dayton is 4-2. 

Do you keep a team higher because they beat a team ranked lower?  Since the Dayton loss Nederland has beaten two ranked teams including one that was #3 at the time. In the final week of the season Dayton plays Porter who has not won a game in district. If Porter wins, do they jump up above Dayton (and therefore other teams) because they beat them?

One game does not make a season. 

Just curious, if New Caney beats Dayton this week and finish 8-2. Both losses will be to #1 and #2, will you still have Nederland ranked ahead of NC?

Just curious, if New Caney beats Dayton this week and finish 8-2. Both losses will be to #1 and #2, will you still have Nederland ranked ahead of NC?

Past history says no.  Channelview beat Dayton, Dayton beat Nederland and is still ranked above both of them.  I don't know what part of this you don't get.

The short answer is yes. The reasoning I believe would be because your loss to Crosby was more recent and most likely Nederland will be on a 8 game winning streak. Lucky for NC they will get a chance to end that winning streak the following week.

Edited by bronco pride

Past history says no.  Channelview beat Dayton, Dayton beat Nederland and is still ranked above both of them.  I don't know what part of this you don't get.

Sorry. I meant yes, Nederland will be ranked ahead of New Caney no matter what happens this weekend. I don't think it has anything to do with the last 8 games though. But I do agree with Pride on what will happen come playoffs.