State Championship Games Schedule

PhatMack19

You know, it's funny, one doesn't see any team that came in 3rd and 4th place in their district playing at this level!  More reason to at least cut out the 4th place team.  And later we can work on cutting out the 3rd place team.   Make the playoffs important again!

If you think about it though, it does give the above teams more games to prepare. Kinda like a preseason before district. Now if were talking about teams like Scarborough then yeah. Also, that district will be interesting next season. 4 team district and will lose LaMarque. 3 teams left, Scarborough, Kashmere and Worthing.

Cedar Park Vista Ridge came in 3rd place and was just beat in the semis by GR. Their previous 2 losses came to Cedar Park and Austin Vandegrift who they beat in the regionals. I understand the not every body gets a ribbon thing but some districts warrant at the very least 3 teams making the playoffs. 

You know, it's funny, one doesn't see any team that came in 3rd and 4th place in their district playing at this level!  More reason to at least cut out the 4th place team.  And later we can work on cutting out the 3rd place team.   Make the playoffs important again!

I think if you cut the 3rd and 4th place teams out you would have to go back to one champion per class meaning at the 5A level you could have a disparity of 1000+ kids in playoff games, in 6A it would be 2000+ in a lot of cases. Angleton finished 3rd in their district and made the regional final this year, Hutto finished 3rd and made the regional final last year, Cedar Park needed to win on the last day of the regular season to get in last year and made the finals.

I think 5A and 6A are fine taking four teams, the adjustment needs to made in the lower classes where they're already split during the season. It's a much more watered down product in those classes come playoff time. I think 4A-D2 had less than 90 schools this year and took 64 to the playoffs, so coming into the season over 70% of the teams knew they were in before they even played a game that year. I think taking four teams in the bigger classes mitigates the district enrollment gaps come playoff time that are already taken care of with the splits in the lower classes.  

so that would somehow help your mutts get to state? 

Negatory!  LOL!!  There's only one way possible.  And the HC refuses to do it.  So...   Anywho, my suggestion here would bring back credibility to the playoffs.  The bad teams end up getting weeded out anyway.  So why go through the charade of allowing bad team to pollute the playoffs?

Over/under crowd Saturday night: 68K

Im taking the under

I think you might've seen numbers like that if GR was playing on Saturday too. I don't think it gets to 68k but I definitely think they're going to have to open the top section. With the two premier programs in Houston for the last 20 years playing for titles at home I think the attendance record does get set, but I think it's going to be around 60k.

I think if Crosby would have made the noon game or Atascosita made the game against North Shore I would have taken the over on that 68k.

I think you might've seen numbers like that if GR was playing on Saturday too. I don't think it gets to 68k but I definitely think they're going to have to open the top section. With the two premier programs in Houston for the last 20 years playing for titles at home I think the attendance record does get set, but I think it's going to be around 60k.

I think if Crosby would have made the noon game or Atascosita made the game against North Shore I would have taken the over on that 68k.

mid county area put 50k in dallas stadium for a SINGLE game way back in the 70's. only way people can come close to it is with multiple games at one stadium. 

State Championship Schedule-  All games at NRG Stadium

Thursday Dec 17th

2a D1- 10am-      Refugio(13-2) vs Canadian(15-0)

2a D2- 1pm-        Bremond(15-0) vs Albany(14-1)

3a D1- 5pm-        Cameron Yoe(14-1) vs Brock(15-0)

3a D2- 8pm-        Franklin(15-0) vs Waskom(15-0)

Friday Dec 18th

4a D1- 12pm-     Waco La Vega(15-0) vs Argyle(14-1)

4a D2- 4pm-       West Orange-Stark(14-1) vs Celina(15-0)

5a D1- 8pm-       Richmond George Ranch(15-0) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge(15-0)

Saturday Dec 19th

5a D2- 12pm-     Cedar Park(15-0) vs Frisco Lone Star(14-1)

6a D1- 4pm-       Galena Park North Shore(12-3) vs Austin Westlake(14-1)

6a D2- 8pm-       Katy(15-0) vs Austin Lake Travis(15-0)

I think if you cut the 3rd and 4th place teams out you would have to go back to one champion per class meaning at the 5A level you could have a disparity of 1000+ kids in playoff games, in 6A it would be 2000+ in a lot of cases. Angleton finished 3rd in their district and made the regional final this year, Hutto finished 3rd and made the regional final last year, Cedar Park needed to win on the last day of the regular season to get in last year and made the finals.

I think 5A and 6A are fine taking four teams, the adjustment needs to made in the lower classes where they're already split during the season. It's a much more watered down product in those classes come playoff time. I think 4A-D2 had less than 90 schools this year and took 64 to the playoffs, so coming into the season over 70% of the teams knew they were in before they even played a game that year. I think taking four teams in the bigger classes mitigates the district enrollment gaps come playoff time that are already taken care of with the splits in the lower classes.  

Cuero just played WOS in the State Semifinals for the 4A DII classification. At one point they were 2 - 4 and by smitty standards no where near being a playoff team. They were missing 8 players due to injury early in the year including their outstanding QB Martinez who gave WOS the best game they've had all year (discounting RF). There are twice as many people in the state of Texas as there were in the 70s when I was in school and an equal number more of kids and schools with districts that have 8+ teams in them next to the 4 - 5 in the 70s. If you want to make winning district relevant give the district champion their first playoff game at home...now you've done something. BTW, let nederville start losing games and I would expect their thought process on these things would change.