WO-S' Malick Phillips receives first college offer

WOSgrad

40 minutes ago, KABrother said:

From what I've been told he is being evaluated as are several local guys this cycle.  They have already extended 5 offers to locals and are still evaluating quite a few more.

Lamar has done great recruiting in this area. SETX has an abundance of talent.

I honestly think Coach Woodard gets a bad rap on not recruiting locally...i feel like I've beat this into the ground but many local players don't want to stay here and play...and that is perfectly normal for an 18 year old to want to get out from home and experience college.  I believe it was the WO-S WR from last year who told a Beaumont Enterprise reporter that he didn't really have any interest in attending Lamar.  If a player tells you that as a coach are you going to continue to pursue that kid when you have others who are interested?  Typically Lamar signs a small handful of local HSers and will get 1-2 transfers with local ties.  This past cycle they signed 8 locals (if you count Crosby as local), had one committed that flipped to TJC right before signing day, at least 4 more Preferee Walk-Ons I know of and had 2 transfers with local ties.  Also had another transfer committed in Terrence Singleton but he recently opted for UL-M instead.  They have 4 coaches on staff who have ties to the area in Woodard with Silsbee, Chuck Langston who played at WB and kids go to PN-G, Brian Morgan who is from Port Arthur, and Jeffery Breaux who was a coach a WB before taking the Director of Football Operations job at Lamar.

31 minutes ago, NDNation said:

How many recruits that went to Lamar are playing in the NFL?

There are only 2 former Lamar players that are associated with the NFL at this moment.

One is OT Cody Elenz who transferred from Idaho for his Sr year and signed as an UDFA with Atlanta after the draft a few weeks ago.

The other is former West Brook WR Reggie Begelton who walked-on at Lamar and set most of the receiving school records.  Had their been adequate QB play last season he probably would have broken the few that he didn't get.  He had a FA work out with Atlanta and Oakland but haven't heard any news in regards to getting a camp invite.

17 minutes ago, KABrother said:

There are only 2 former Lamar players that are associated with the NFL at this moment.

One is OT Cody Elenz who transferred from Idaho for his Sr year and signed as an UDFA with Atlanta after the draft a few weeks ago.

The other is former West Brook WR Reggie Begelton who walked-on at Lamar and set most of the receiving school records.  Had their been adequate QB play last season he probably would have broken the few that he didn't get.  He had a FA work out with Atlanta and Oakland but haven't heard any news in regards to getting a camp invite.

Is it unusual for a player to Walk On and then break most of the school records and eventually play professionally?  Did Begelton have any offers at the time he walked on at Lamar?

1 hour ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Is it unusual for a player to Walk On and then break most of the school records and eventually play professionally?  Did Begelton have any offers at the time he walked on at Lamar?

To my knowledge no he didn't...he came in an took a RS then played minimally as a R-Fr then played to an All-Conference caliber the following 3 seasons.  

All-American RB Kade Harrington already owns almost every rushing  school record and many SLC records after his Jr year last season and Lamar was his only offer out of HS...his only other opportunity was a Preferred Walk On spot to Incarnate Word who was D-II at the time.