Marijuana

PhatMack19

Never smoked, chewed, sniffed, or injected MJ, but I've never understood why the Govt classifies it more dangerous that what I consider, some considerably more dangerous drugs.   And who doesn't find it strange that our Govt considers it that dangerous, but it can be legally acquired in our Capital?   

I've been anti MJ all my life, but I've also come to the conclusion that making it illegal, like alcohol during prohibition, is not working.   In fact, our war on drugs is not working.   Don't have any idea how to make it work.  To paraphrase Sheriff Ed Bell in No Country for Old Men, If I was the devil and wanted to bring down humanity, drugs is the best way to do it.

9 hours ago, REBgp said:

Never smoked, chewed, sniffed, or injected MJ, but I've never understood why the Govt classifies it more dangerous that what I consider, some considerably more dangerous drugs.   And who doesn't find it strange that our Govt considers it that dangerous, but it can be legally acquired in our Capital?   

I've been anti MJ all my life, but I've also come to the conclusion that making it illegal, like alcohol during prohibition, is not working.   In fact, our war on drugs is not working.   Don't have any idea how to make it work.  To paraphrase Sheriff Ed Bell in No Country for Old Men, If I was the devil and wanted to bring down humanity, drugs is the best way to do it.

Well, well, another subject we agree on!  Like you, I've never been a marijuana user.  But I agree on everything you said in this post.  And to be honest, I truly believe it's less dangerous, at least to others, than alcohol.  Can't tell you how many cases I've seen of some innocent person getting killed due to someone else's drinking (and usually driving).  Still waiting on the first such case due to weed (probably because they are driving 15 mph after smoking it).  I am generally in favor of letting adults make their own decisions, especially when we can tax those "bad habits."  Pretty much mirrors my views on gambling as well. 

And finally, "No Country" is a darn fine book and one where I thought the movie actually did it justice as well...

16 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Well, well, another subject we agree on!  Like you, I've never been a marijuana user.  But I agree on everything you said in this post.  And to be honest, I truly believe it's less dangerous, at least to others, than alcohol.  Can't tell you how many cases I've seen of some innocent person getting killed due to someone else's drinking (and usually driving).  Still waiting on the first such case due to weed (probably because they are driving 15 mph after smoking it).  I am generally in favor of letting adults make their own decisions, especially when we can tax those "bad habits."  Pretty much mirrors my views on gambling as well. 

And finally, "No Country" is a darn fine book and one where I thought the movie actually did it justice as well...

I agree 100%.  About MJ.  About the book (loved it because the Sheriff's comments & thoughts mirror my own).  And the movie, which for a change, did it justice.   

About MJ, I've come to the conclusion that it "might" prevent some from going to harder drugs, if it was legalized.  I just know we need to try something.  

31 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I agree 100%.  About MJ.  About the book (loved it because the Sheriff's comments & thoughts mirror my own).  And the movie, which for a change, did it justice.   

About MJ, I've come to the conclusion that it "might" prevent some from going to harder drugs, if it was legalized.  I just know we need to try something.  

You were dead right about the war on drugs.  It was, and is, a noble idea but we've been getting our collective butts kicked for years.  Like you say, we need to try something else.  

And agree with you on Ed Tom.  Absolutely loved his character.  When I heard Tommy Lee Jones was playing him, I thought what a great job of casting.  Wish they could have done more with him (my biggest gripe with movie) in the movie but tough to fit any great novel into 2 hours of screen time.  Thought the Coen brothers, as usual, did a fantastic job with those constraints. 

On August 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM, UTfanatic said:

I just saw Ricky running!

lol

Just saw Ricky interviewed about NFL drug policy.  Amazing that MJ is banned but they have no issue with the opioids.  Anyone with any kind of baseline dealings with the drug problem in this country would tell you the latter are much more dangerous/harmful.  In fact, along with opioids/amphetamines seem to me to be the biggest drug threats we have now...for sure in our region of the country anyway. 

Ricky also apparently holds the record for most drug tests all time in the NFL (over 500).  He stated without the marijuana ban, he believes he would be a hall of famer.  I tend to agree with him based on his numbers.