Latest On The Gunfire In Port Arthur At Game

Press Release from PTA

From TheExaminer.com

At least 15 gunshots were heard near the parking lot of the Port Arthur Memorial baseball field on 25th street at approximatley 8 p.m. on March 30 as the Titans were hosting the Spring Lions in a high school baseball game.

Port Arthur Police were called out because of shots fired and report a fight broke out in the parking lot, which police believe was between rival gangs.

No injuries were reported and the game was cancelled.

If you have any information on this incident, call the Port Arthur Police Department at (409) 983-8600.

In a press release sent out by Jessie Haynes of PAISD on March 31, Interim Superintendent Dr. Jim Weeks met with key personnel at Memorial High School and the Port Arthur Chief of Police about the safety and well-being of students and employees on this campus.

"The meeting follows the firing of several shots last night in the parking lot of the MHS Baseball Field while a game was in progress between the Titans and Spring High School," said Haynes in the press release. "No one was injured. The officials immediately called an ending to the game and the student talent show that was to follow the game was cancelled."

Haynes also stated that police and school officials are investigating the incident and Dr. Weeks is moving forth with a plan to bring about added security on the MHS campus. Additional security has been added to the campus.

"No media outlet is being allowed on the campus, including the baseball field, today," stated Haynes in the same press release. "The district's main effort is to focus on the continued provision of the educational process in the most secure setting possible. Of course, I can't stop media from shooting pictures or video from the street or the campus perimeter, however, I cannot support taking time away from what administrators and employees need to be doing right now to allow for the media to cover their stories from on the campus. Frankly, I am not interested in helping to perpetuate the ongoing negative visuals. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused media personnel, however, I hope you will understand that education is the main business here and all else will fall second to that process."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou