RANDOM THOUGHTS

Tuesday night was a 'typical' SE Texas baseball night...some big games, some close games, even a blowout or two...

The marquee game was BC-Silsbee up the road in Silsbee where 2 of the area's best teams matched 2 of the area's best pitchers (Jeff Stringer and Joel Schooling).  The result was predictable -- a low scoring game that fell BC's way 2-1.  This is a huge win for Coach Bryant, especially on the road.  HRs from Willey (BC) and Skinner (Silsbee).  Staying within 21-3A (the only district that has begun district play), there was another great pitching duel that may have been overlooked...HJ vs. HF where HF's Michael Lange threw a 1-hitter...and lost 3-0 to HJ's Aaron Treece.  All Treece did was 1-up Lange by throwing a no-no.  It was a 'must win' for HJ and their playoff hopes but also served notice that HF can play spoiler especially with Lange on the Hill.  Up north, Jasper flexed its muscles with a convincing 10-3 win over OF. 

In non-district play, West Brook lived up to their offensive hype, scoring 9 early runs and defeating Vidor 11-1.  It had to be a disappointing loss for the Pirates who had been off to such a fast start...especially since pitching-thin WB threw a kid they called up from their JV team and effectively shut them down.  On a related note, I did get a tour of Vidor's new baseball facility.  It is first rate and Kyle Green deserves kudos for his (and his team's) efforts.  Out west, PNG dealt their ace (Eric Harrington) against BH and escaped with a tight 2-1 win.  Note however that BH did not throw theirs (Ross Hales).  Still, a quality win for the 'up and down' Indians.  Lastly, the 'little engine that could' -- the LCM Bears continued their winning ways with a 5-3 victory over Kelly.  The Bears now sit at 10-1.

The last weekend of tournament play gets underway today.  The biggest local event is probably BC's tourney where the Cards host a large # of 4A teams including Central, Ozen and Lumberton.  Look for the 'high noon' game on Saturday when BC hooks it up with Ozen.  With both teams back in district play on Tuesday, we might not see the front line guys on the hill, tho.  Jasper's tourney also kicks off today and includes LCM and Vidor.  Jasper vs. LCM highlights today's action while the Jasper-Vidor matchup gets underway on Friday.  Nederland travels to 5A Deer Park for their event while PNG is north of us at the Runnels Tournament in Lufkin.  PNG draws two 5A powers in Hou Memorial (Thurs.) and Hou Westside (Sat.).  HJ will be at the BH tournament while West Brook crosses the border to attend the LC Barbe tournament.  Look for the rematch Sat. night when WB plays Barbe altho' I doubt it could be any wilder than last week's 16-14 Bruins' win.

Finally, district play is underway next week for everybody.  If you're trying to decide what games to attend, here are a few that might be worth the trip:

Ozen and PNG play on Tuesday with the Indians turning right around and drawing LCM on Friday.  A huge week for Coach Jay Stone.  Nederland and Vidor clash on Tuesday as well while the HJ-Silsbee game on Friday is the big matchup in 21-3A.  5A West Brook opens with 'new' Atascocita on Tues then takes on long-time power Kingwood on Friday.

As usual, just another typical week here in SE Texas...

Guest coach

It will be interesting if some of the coaches who start district Tuesday night rest there aces over the weekend.

There might be some 4a schools lose over the weekend due to the fact District starts.What do you think MIF?

It will be interesting if some of the coaches who start district Tuesday night rest there aces over the weekend.

There might be some 4a schools lose over the weekend due to the fact District starts.What do you think MIF?

I don't know about whether they'd lose or not but I do think you'll see some front line pitchers throw early this weekend (almost like a 'live' bullpen) so they are ready come Tuesday night.  For example, PNG threw Harrington a complete game on Tues vs. BH.  He may not throw this weekend which leads me to think he will open district against Ozen, with Flores (assuming he is healthy) pitching against LCM on Sat.  Without Harrington, that may not bode well for PNG against very stiff competition in Lufkin.  I think the same is true with Vidor and Nederland.  I doubt Helmke throws very much this weekend as I expect to see him on the hill Tuesday vs. Pirates.  Of course, coaches have their own ideas about these things.  I do think it'll be interesting to watch, tho...

Guest coach

I think the Vidor /Ned game will be a really good one..It is the district opener,Kyle's ol alma mater.I think you will see both aces for Vidor/Ned on the mound.  And that game last year in Nederland when I believe it was tied or vidor may have been up ?? And that kid that was pitching decided to try a pick off play at second base and it was overthrown.

Lcm and the Jasper game over the weekend will be one to watch also.

I agree the tourneys starting today thru Saturday could be interesting based on how teams use their pitchers....with district play opening on Tuesday. I do know Barbers Hill did not throw Hales against PNG...Thamm did throw 3 innings and Hunter Silva threw 3 innings. Jonathan Kelley threw the last. I look for Hales to throw early in the BH tourney and be ready for district. Thamm may throw later in the tourney and still have plenty of rest for district play on Friday. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. Just my random thoughts. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo