Port Arthur- 3,000 homes in hazardous floodplain

PhatMack19

If FEMA and the city really require these people to elevate their homes, the City of Port Athur is done.  Everyone will just pack up and leave their homes abandoned.  The cost to elevate a house on a slab is more than most of the houses are worth.  I don’t see how the city can go along with that and survive.  

This is the hidden content, please

From city officials 

Latest Update ( 3 Oct )

1. Haven't done any lately because nothing really haven't changed. We don't have temporary housing for people displaced for various reasons. We are NOT picking up the debris at an acceptable pace. I'm becoming frustrated because citizens are not feeling good about the RECOVERY and have the right to feel that way and I can't make the situation better. I WILL continue pushing to make things happen and at an acceptable time frame.

2. NOW, the reason for this update. The flyer being distributed, explaining FEMA requirements, with respect to whether one's home will require being ELEVATED. I will try to explain this in a manner I hope will clear up the confusion and allow residents to continue with their plan for repairing their homes. 

3. The TWO key points to the flyer is to determine what category one belong. The categories are defined in a manner where if you meet the requirements you are allow to get your permits. ( Remember the permits are free. ) Those two points are WHETHER your home meet the current floodplain or NOT.

4. If your home meets the current floodplain for elevation, you will be issued permit and may start repairs.

5. Did your home suffer Substantial Damage? What is substantial damage? Substantial Damage is when your home Repair Cost is 50% or greater of your home Market Value before the disaster occurred. ( Excluding the contents )

6. If your home DID NOT suffer substantial damage, you will be issued your building permits and may start to repair your home. ( If you have an elevation certificate, bring it
 to city hall, when you go to get your permits )

7. If your home DID suffer substantial damage, then you MUST ELEVATE to meet current floodplain elevation requirements before permits will be issue for you to repair your home.

8. Who will determine if your cost is 50% or greater? The City will determine it by conducting an inspection and use of a formula. 

9. How will they determine the market value of my home? They will use the tax appraised value and multiply it by 1.4. For example:
     Tax appraised value $70,000 x1.4= $98,000. So, the market value would be $98,000 instead of $70,000.
This will be an advantage for the residents because it will allow them to have a higher cost of repair without reaching the 50% threshold.

8. Given the information, I do not believe there will be many homes that will require elevating. As of 10/3/2017 the highest % was 48. ( WHEW, for that resident )

9. Hope that has clarified some of the questions. Remember, NOT everyone is in the same category. Don't stress or base your situation based on someone else's information.