States Rights & Scalia's Assessment

Hagar

Old Saying:.  Politics makes strange bedfellows.  The reason I'm posting this, is the irony I see in politics.  For many years, conservatives have been a proponent of States Rights.  Supposedly, that's the reason George Wallace stood in the door of the school house, not to keep the black kids out, but to adamantly proclaim States Rights.  I suspect his folly caused the final dagger in the heart of States Rights, which the left had fought to kill.  I have a liberal friend on FB and the subject of the Feds shutting down States with legalized marijuana came up.  You never saw so many advocates of States Rights at a redneck convention.  I had to smile.  Then while looking at Scalia's quotes, I saw one about the subject.  Just a heads up, I imagine he was pro States Rights, but the SCOTUS had already had a decision on it (again speculation on my part).  

"Wringing your hands about States Rights, forget it.  They're gone.  Basically the federal government can do whatever it wants.  Who's going to protect the States?  My court?  Ha, we're Feds.

As with so many other things, he was right about that, although in the marijuana situation he may have voted to allow the States to sell,it.  Barring a conflict with the Constitution, I think he respected the will of the people.  I may be dead wrong.  Hoops is more cognizant of Scalia's law opinions than me, so if you (Hoops) read this, feel free to correct any assumptions I've made.