***Callie Orebo Steps Down As WOS Girls BB Coach***

Guest tigersvoice

A coward dies a thousand deaths - a hero dies but one.

Come on Guys!  We don't know the whole story but personally, I doubt that she AND her assistant bail out due to their opinion that the talent stream has dried up.  I think there is something personal that bears on this decision by both coaches.

Guest bleed orange

Your right tigersvoice, we don't know the whole story. Even if it was because of something else, my opinion would not change. She ran the score up on weaker teams and she did it on purpose. You don't press when your up by 60 and she did that. Now you can't tell kids not to score but you can tell them to stop pressing.

I do not believe that she was pressing to embarass other teams.  How about the fact that she knew when the playoffs rolled around they would be in tight ballgames that would require the press.  I think they would be in a lot better shape to press the entire game if they have been doing it the whole year.  The press was just the style of game they played and they played it for four quarters so they would be ready to do it when they needed to.   

I agree homer its like Texas Techs coach said , thats the way we play so they keep doing it the entire game no matter what the score. But it is also a good time to allow some of the team members to play that dont get to much pt. I dont know if thats the case with her or not.imo

WOW!!!  How typical?

You know, our coaches may not be the "best", but I can't think of any basketball coaches around who are.  As for our talent pool, it's very rare that a school has two amazing players like BJ and BScott play at the same time, but I am really sure that any of the up and coming players reading this thread sure appreciate all of the congenial posts that are being posted on here.

None of us know WHY these two coaches quit.  How easy it is to speculate, huh?  As for losing respect for Coach Orebo...I am not so sure that there was much respect there to begin with, so that's not saying much. 

I think that most teams around, especially WO-S and Orangefield lost a LOT of talent this year.  Time will tell how everything works out.  Thank goodness for football, basketball, powerlifting and track!!!  They keep us pretty good, but thanks for all of the concern. ;)

Guest jbseballfan

Seven or maybe six years ago WOS was playing in the championship game of the Orangefield tournament. WOS was up by 30 going into the fourth quater. Coach Orebo never pulled her press off until the buzzer sounded. I lost alot of respect for her that day. That never changed. Nor will it ever.

I agree....pressing when you are up by that much is terrible.  It only serves to humiliate the other team.  However, Bleed, I do remember being present at a game in the Orangefield Tournament where your Bobcats were kept in a press to try and reach 100 points in a game against Vidor.  Thankfully, the score only ended up being 99 - 12.  Wonder how those Vidor kids felt on the bus ride home?  Lost a lot of respect for your coach as well that day.  I totally see where you are coming from.

I sat behind the WOS bench when OF played at WOS, I didn't know good coaches congratulated and high fived their players that just committed hard fouls. I also read in an article that a reporter was conducting with B. James that in the locker room at half time with WOS up big against HF all Orebo wanted to see was how many points she could finish the night with... I didn't know that was the goal of a coach. But thats just me.....

Guest bleed orange

Jbseballfan, If that in fact happen then your point is well taken. I remember that game because my daughter played in it. I don't believe they pressed the whole game. I could be wrong. I know for a fact they did not full court press the entire game. They may have gone into a half court press towards the end and I agree they should not have done that. We scored 92 on Jasper this year and did not press the whole second half and everyone on the team got plenty of playing time.

Guest jbseballfan

Jbseballfan, If that in fact happen then your point is well taken. I remember that game because my daughter played in it. I don't believe they pressed the whole game. I could be wrong. I know for a fact they did not full court press the entire game. They may have gone into a half court press towards the end and I agree they should not have done that. We scored 92 on Jasper this year and did not press the whole second half and everyone on the team got plenty of playing time.

Bleed, hope I wasn't coming off as trying to attack you guys or anything.  I love those Lady Bobcats and the tenacity they play with.  However, I will always be disappointed with the way that one game was handled.  You guys pulled the press off in the second half and because Vidor was so weak, your girls were able to get into the 80s.  Your coach then called a timeout (somewhere in the middle of the 4th quarter) and the girls began full court pressing with an obvious effort to get to 100 points.  I know that it would have been a neat thing to reach 100....but I can speak with great certainty, that the 99 points you guys did score was humiliating to those Vidor girls.  But you know, we all make decisions everyday....some of them are right and some are wrong....just have to live with them no matter what.

Boy, that girl of yours sure lit up the scoreboard this year.  Can't wait to see what she can pull off next year.

Guest bleed orange

I did not take your post in a negative way at all. I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for the nice comments about my daughter. I am nervous about next year. My daughter scored alot of her points from assist from kristy sanders and jessica shores. Those two will be hard to replace. Most of the time my daughter got lucky. She really can't shoot very well. If I was the other teams in the district, I would not guard her next year. On a serious side I can't wait for next year to get here. We do have summer league coming up so I guess that fill the void for now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4