Manafort and Cohen

Big girl

One would think an investigation that lasted a year and a half would have turned up something positive by now. This is all a cover so that no one can focus on the positive things Trump has accomplished. This is all about crybaby Hillary losing. That's it. Dims think they are going after crooked people yet they never investigate Hillary. Two faced is all I can say.

7 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Did Cohen say that he was instructed by Trump to use campaign funds. Is that illegal? 

For Cohen. Don't you know hearsay when you hear it? I could say you told me to kill someone. Does that make it true? Can you prove you didn't say it? Grasping, aren't we?

10 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Did Cohen say that he was instructed by Trump to use campaign funds. Is that illegal? 

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

But former commissioner at the Federal Election Commission, Hans von Spakovsky, said that Cohen’s decision to plead guilty does not necessarily mean Trump violated the law.

“This is not a violation because this was not a campaign-related offense,” Spakovsky told Fox News on Wednesday. “Yes, Cohen pleaded guilty to it, yeah Cohen paid it, but then Cohen was reimbursed by Trump.”

The plea deal states that the payments were in fact meant to influence the election, though that could be argued by Trump's lawyers if it ever came to that. Spakovsky said Trump had a history of making these kinds of payments before he was a candidate. 

Further, Spakovsky said "a candidate can spend as much of their own money as they want to—even if it was a campaign-related expense.”

Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz, a frequent defender of the president, made a similar argument. 

“You have to show that it’s a crime,” he told “Fox & Friends.” He said it’s “not a crime” for a candidate like Trump to contribute to his own campaign, and probably not even a crime to direct someone else to contribute if he plans to pay that back.

5 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

From the article:

But former commissioner at the Federal Election Commission, Hans von Spakovsky, said that Cohen’s decision to plead guilty does not necessarily mean Trump violated the law.

“This is not a violation because this was not a campaign-related offense,” Spakovsky told Fox News on Wednesday. “Yes, Cohen pleaded guilty to it, yeah Cohen paid it, but then Cohen was reimbursed by Trump.”

The plea deal states that the payments were in fact meant to influence the election, though that could be argued by Trump's lawyers if it ever came to that. Spakovsky said Trump had a history of making these kinds of payments before he was a candidate. 

Further, Spakovsky said "a candidate can spend as much of their own money as they want to—even if it was a campaign-related expense.”

Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz, a frequent defender of the president, made a similar argument. 

“You have to show that it’s a crime,” he told “Fox & Friends.” He said it’s “not a crime” for a candidate like Trump to contribute to his own campaign, and probably not even a crime to direct someone else to contribute if he plans to pay that back.

Obviously nothing I say here is intended as legal advice and I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in campaign finance law, but I suspect Spakovsky and Dershowitz are correct.

Where politics is concerned, the important thing to remember here isn't that anyone was tried and convicted or that anyone plead guilty. It's when they did so. I suspect there's a reason this all got wrapped up in the third week of August and not in the last week of October during a midterm year. I could always be wrong, but I doubt this will actually move the ball that much when voting time rolls around.

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

I’m not sure what the law is with commingling of funds, but Trump supposedly spent $66 million of his own money for his campaign.  

Who is to say those payouts didn’t come out of his $66 mil and not outside campaign contributions?

Cohen plea deal.  Doesn’t take a Lawyer to figure out a plea deal is nothing but a bribe in the form of reduced sentence, for saying something about someone the prosecution wants to nail.  So Mr. Guilty, you’ll be in prison for 5 years, but if you tell us something Mr. Wewantahang did so we can get him, you’ll only do 6 months in a minimum security facility.  What Mr. Guilty says may be true, or may just be an attempt to get a reduced sentence.  Not a big fan of this.  Certainly nor a fan of a Special Prosecutor getting Carte Blanche to look for anything.  

Btw, before any liberals break out the party favors, I’d suspect that at least 60% of Congress would be indicted and found guilty were they put under the scrutiny of Muellers Mob of Maniacs.  Bet Al Sharpton would agree.  

37 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Interesting 

Cohen's lawyer is a foreign agent for a wanted Russian oligarch

He's also a Clinton rat fink!  My first thought was why would Cohen hire a Clinton rat?  Maybe part of the plan to get Trump?!  Again -- what does Cohen have to do with Russian collusion?

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

He's also a Clinton rat fink!  My first thought was why would Cohen hire a Clinton rat?  Maybe part of the plan to get Trump?!  Again -- what does Cohen have to do with Russian collusion?

This is going around:  Did Clinton hack Lanny Davis sellout his client in a failed attempt to hurt Trump? Looks like it.