Mid Term Elections

Hagar

Go Big Red.

My son & his wife went to vote in New Caney.  He just text - “Been in line for 30 minutes & still don’t see the voting room.”

I’m taking that as a positive sign.  His best guess - predominantly Repubs in line.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how that area voted in 2016.

43 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Go Big Red.

My son & his wife went to vote in New Caney.  He just text - “Been in line for 30 minutes & still don’t see the voting room.”

I’m taking that as a positive sign.  His best guess - predominantly Repubs in line.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how that area voted in 2016.

Montgomery County is not only red, it’s very red. Trump carried nearly 75% of the vote there in 2016, compared to just 22.5% for Clinton - a margin of over 100,000 votes.

That said, there’s a question mark hanging over suburban Texas counties this year. Fort Bend County unexpectedly went blue in 2016. Though Trump still won every other suburban county in the state, he also underperformed Romney and McCain in them. And the suburban counties are where the bulk of the new voters are coming from; Rockwall County posted a 9.6% increase in voter registration compared to 2016, more than twice the statewide average of 3.9%. Normally, increased enthusiasm in Texas suburbs is a good sign for the GOP, but it seems counter-intuitive to say that Trump found tens of thousands of new supporters over the first two years of his presidency in suburbs where he underperformed his GOP predecessors.

Beto’s loss is all but assured at this point, and I suspect it’ll be about a 10 point margin. But there’s reason to be concerned about Pete Sessions’s congressional district and a handful of state house and senate districts in the DFW Metroplex. The good news for the GOP is that the economy’s good, Trump’s approval rating spiked at the right time and we’re way out-performing our normal partisan turnout in in-person early voting even during presidential years. But we won’t know anything for certain until November 6.

2 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

That said, there’s a question mark hanging over suburban Texas counties this year. Fort Bend County unexpectedly went blue in 2016. Though Trump still won every other suburban county in the state, he also underperformed Romney and McCain in them. And the suburban counties are where the bulk of the new voters are coming from; Rockwall County posted a 9.6% increase in voter registration compared to 2016, more than twice the statewide average of 3.9%. Normally, increased enthusiasm in Texas suburbs is a good sign for the GOP, but it seems counter-intuitive to say that Trump found tens of thousands of new supporters over the first two years of his presidency in suburbs where he underperformed his GOP predecessors.

A lot of normal R voters were turned off by Trump’s bravado and stayed home or voted independent.  I’ve seen tons of voters that said they will gladly pull the lever for Trump and the republicans this time.  A lot of Never Trumpers have been pleased with his performance and the direction of the country.  Actions speak louder than words. 

I’ve also never seen the GOP base so pissed off at all of the stunts the libs are pulling.   Turnout should be at record numbers.  Hopefully they are all legal citizens and still breathing.    

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

A lot of normal R voters were turned off by Trump’s bravado and stayed home or voted independent.  I’ve seen tons of voters that said they will gladly pull the lever for Trump and the republicans this time.  A lot of Never Trumpers have been pleased with his performance and the direction of the country.  Actions speak louder than words. 

I’ve also never seen the GOP base so pissed off at all of the stunts the libs are pulling.   Turnout should be at record numbers.  Hopefully they are all legal citizens and still breathing.    

It’s only a personal observation, I know a few that, like you said, were turned off by the Republican Party, and Trumps mouth in 2016, but are all in on him now.  And if our limited observations are consistent across the country, the blue wave will turn into a reflection pool.  And Jmo, if this turns into a red wave, the majority of the credit should go to the 9 Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee.  With a little left for the Dem Mobs.

As someone who didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 but is on track to vote for him in 2020, I think we all need to keep in mind our frame of reference. Yes, there are a lot of Republicans who have come back into the fold since the fractious year that was 2016. I’d say the Republican Party is in much better shape right now than the DNC. But we’re also from an area that straddles the fence between rural and suburban, and Jefferson County is in a unique position versus the rest of the state because of a dying union vote Trump has found surprsing success with.

The concerns that dominate Golden Triangle politics are markedly different than the concerns that dominate the suburbs of the major cities. Trump has a problem with college educated white women, and there are a lot of those in places like Kingwood and Highland Park. Texas is culturally much more conservative than its highly populous counterparts, and our energy industry and growing corporate sector give us vested economic interests in the GOP, so we’re better positioned to defend against the so-called ‘blue wave’ than Florida or Ohio. But there is still good reason to be concerned about the suburbs, particularly those west and north of Austin and north of Dallas and Fort Worth.