Parity or Weaker

Districts with parity or weaker   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Districts with parity or weaker

• Other teams have caught up
    • Weaker teams than previous

Guest BC boy 17

well in 21-3A its not that the teams have gotten weaker or stronger, its that there were 2 VERY strong teams moved into that district

Guest Orangeboy

I think it is a little of both, overall I think this is a down year, but I also think more teams are becoming more competitive due to some good young coaching.

I think it is more 'parity' than it is 'weakness'. 

Years ago, very few schools emphasized baseball as a 'major' sport.  SE Texas was football country, period.  Not to say that football still isn't king...but there is greater import in the 'other' sports.  That commitment includes upgrades in facilities, coaches, etc. 

More athletes are playing just one sport (i.e., baseball).  Think about it...there aren't as many multi-sports guys as there have been in years past (Granted, you have people such as Mosely, Dishon, Thomas, etc....but those are the exception, not the rule).

The proliferation of select ball, individualized training for players, etc. leads to an increase in the talent base.  More kids play baseball year round, more kids get lessons and, therefore, you get more players with a higher level of talent. The down side of this is that you see more and more local leagues vanishing but that is, quite simply, the trade-off for increased talent.

All in all, our area produces a lot of very talented athletes and, as a consequence, a lot of very talented and competitive baseball teams. Take 21-3A...that district was previously dominated by BC but, with the UIL, it is one of the most competitive districts in the State.  One very talented team (probably HJ) will be left home come playoff time.  Put them in nearly any other district and they're a playoff team.  I also personally think that HF would be a playoff team (for example, put them over in 22-3A and they're in).

Some proof is in the puddin' ... how will we fare in the playoffs?  I don't know that is the ultimate test but it should give us some idea.  Some of it depends on matchups (does anyone really want New Caney in a 1 game playoff?) but, as is tradition, I expect SE Texas to represent itself well in the coming weeks.

Now, with all that being said...look at the other side of the coin (i.e., are we weaker this year?).  Generally, no.  There is always this analysis, though...BC is pretty #@%$ this year but is there best team?  Probably not.  Probably not as good as the teams the past 2 years that made it to Austin.  That is true with most teams in the area.  I don't think LCM is their best team ever (indeed, last year's team was one of the most talented teams we have ever producted).  I don't think this makes these teams necessarily weaker...I just think it means these schools churn out good teams year after year and it is a razor thin line between how good any team may be year to year.

In sum, I don't necessarily vote for either.  I think 'stronger' or 'competitive' may be better words.  Granted, I'm a big fan of SE Texas baseball...but, as they say, JMO.

Make no mistake MIF04 that the teams in 22-4A are not as strong as they traditionaly have been.

Lets look at the four teams that are still in the race.

LCM is good, but not as strong as they have been most years.

PNG is good, but not as strong as they have been most years.

Nederland is good, but not even close to the Nederland teams of old.

Vidor has their best team in years, which puts them in the race with the teams that are down a little.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo