Bridge City article from Orange Leader

BC ace ready for do-or-die

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The Bridge City Cardinals are not ranked No. 1 going into today’s playoff game against the Splendora Wildcats at Barbers Hill High School.

The Cardinals did not even win District 21-3A and for the first time in a long time did not win all the games in the district loop.

Now their season will come down to a one-game playoff in the Class 3A Region III Bi-district round.

Bridge City starting pitcher Jeff Stringer finds the Cardinals’ situation to his liking.

“If we play good ball and we are hot, I am not scared of anybody,†Stringer said. “Splendora wanted one game so that just means we get to finish them off early. I have not seen who they have played and a lot of teams would be worried about playing just one game. I am not going to worry about that at all because then my head would not be in the right place.â€

In his senior season Stringer is carrying a 1.66 ERA with 87 strike outs and is 5-1. He has only given up one long ball, the first of his high school career.

Stringer in district play had a 1.88 ERA and a 4-1 mark with 71 strike outs in 37.1 innings.

“Mentally I have worked hard lately,†Stringer said. “I have been throwing a lot of strikes and the 87 strike outs is more than the last two seasons combined. I have been locating the ball better lately and because of it I have been more dominate down the stretch.’

Stringer also credits Bridge City’s defense and offense as part of the reason he has had success this season.

“I feel so great with those guys behind me,†Stringer added. “Matt Hicks at shortstop being a freshman is just flat out amazing. He has done way more than any of us would ever have dreamed. (Troy) Bolton at second is great to have and our corners are the best. Then you have our outfield which catches anything along with Johnny (Dishon) who dives out of nowhere for balls. I know I can always throw a little slower and let the batters hit the ball and somebody is going to catch it.â€

Bridge City Coach Billy Bryant has seen Stringer’s confidence sky rocket over the last few months and credits it to the senior nearing the end of his high school career.

“When you get to the end of your senior year, mentally and physically you should be near the top of your game,†Bryant said. “He has proven this year he is one of the best pitchers in our area. When he comes to the park mentally ready, we are confident he is going to keep us in the game. I think he is at that point where he is very confident in his abilities.â€

Bryant reported Bridge City lost a coin flip to Splendora allowing the two teams to play a one-game playoff series.

“They are a very confident bunch right now,†Bryant said. “They beat Tarkington 12-3 Friday night and Tarkington was the district champion. They have one pitcher than stands out (Rylan Parker). The one-game thing can’t bother you because it is not in our control. Either you accept the challenge or you can let it bother you and it you will be hurting your chances.â€

Bryant is just like Stringer in that he is not concerned about the Cardinals not being district champions heading into the playoffs.

“We battled each other so hard in the district this year,†Bryant added. “The only difference between second and the champs is that second place has to play one more round. Everybody is now 0-0 so it does not matter if you were 30-0 or 15-15.

“I think people realize this season we have not had as many experienced players has we did in the past. We created this monster and now we have to feed it. The positive is that we’ve had to strap and battle more this season in district. That can only help. I am confident these kids will accept the challenge. We have been to two state tournaments in a row so some of these guys have been in every pressure situation possible.â€

So now the Cardinals will put Stringer on the mound and let his experience start a new Bridge City run to Austin’s Dell Diamond Field.

“My goal is always the state tournament,†Stringer said. “We have to stay focused. It would be great to get these young guys some experience in the playoffs because they are going to be great for years to come. This program will not fall off any after this year. We could be standing at Dell Diamond at the end of this year. Thursday is just the first step. Our 20-4 does not mean anything at all anymore.â€

This is the hidden content, please

Bridge City’s Jeff Stringer will lead the Cardinals into tonight’s Class 3A Region III Bi-district playoff game against the Splendora Wildcats at 7 p.m. at Barbers Hill High School. Stringer has a 1.66 ERA on the year and has given up just one homer in his career.

Gabriel Pruett / The Orange Leader

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43