RANDOM THOUGHTS

This week’s Random Thoughts is in full playoff mode, with the Bi-District round behind us and Area on tap for this week.  The past week was one for big time plays and performances, a fair amount of drama and, with 1 notable exception, not many surprises. 

The biggest swing of the bat goes to West Brook’s Tim Ferguson whose 2-run walk off HR capped the Bruins’ 4-3 win in game 1 of their series against Pasadena Memorial.  The Bruins then exploded for 15 hits to cruise in game 2, 12-4.  Todd Wallace and Mark Serna each homered in that game.  FYI:  Serna’s home run allowed the Bruins to tie the school record for most HRs in a season.  The Svoboda boys (Josiah and Nathaniel) each picked up wins on the hill as the Bruins now move on to a 3 game series with perennial playoff contender Pearland.

The ‘surprise’ to some was Huffman’s 2 game sweep of PNG.  You can sum this series up with one name: Michael Listi.  The senior RHP outdueled Indians’ ace Eric Harrington winning game one by a 1-0 margin (and needing only 65 pitches).  That set the stage for more drama in game 2.  Leading 5-1 in game 2, Indians’ coach Jay Stone elected to leave his starter Shawn Flores in to close out the 7th.  That decision proved fatal as the Falcons rallied to tie the score and push the contest in extra innings.  When PNG threatened in the 8th, Huffman went back to Listi to quell the rally.  Bottom line?  Huffman 6  PNG 5 with Listi the winning pitcher in both games.  The Falcons move on to tackle Texas City while the Indians reload following another disappointing finish.

Not surprising was Barbers Hill’s series win over Vidor as the clock struck midnight for Kyle Green and the Pirates.  Ross Hales was dominant in the Eagles won game 1, 1-0.  The ‘never say die’ Pirates came from behind to win game 2 but the Eagles were too much, scoring a lot late to take an 11-3 win in the decisive game 3.  It was a big series for BH catcher Cameron Campbell who slugged 3 HRs on Saturday alone.  The Hill gets Lamar Consolidated next.

The sole remaining team from 22-4A is the district champion LCM Bears.  Jake Rowell and company get the Bay City Black Cats in a 3 game series.  Bay City advanced after defeating the Friendswood Mustangs in bi-district play.

In 3A, the Bridge City Cardinals won their 1 game series with a 6-0 whitewash of Splendora.  Jeff Stringer was dominant, throwing a complete game and garnering an astonishing 17 strikeouts.  Casey Jackson had the big early hit for the Cards.  Next up for BC is Wharton, a 3 gamer scheduled for Baytown Lee.  21-3A was also well-represented by the HJ Hawks who threw a pair of shutouts at the Liberty Panthers.  In game 1, Jacob Ricossa was the winner in HJ’s 1-0 win.  Game 2 was not as close as the Hawks swept to a 10-0 win.  Not only did Aaron Treece throw a shutout…he also had a 3-run homer to boot.  The Hawks get Bellville this week.  District champ Jasper returns to action this week following the bye.  The Bulldogs will square off against the La Grange Leopards.

It was a tough week for the smaller schools as Colmesneil, Sabine Pass and Evadale were all eliminated.  The district champs are all that remain as Woodville tangles with Mart, Buna takes on Troup and High Island returns to the playoffs against Fayetteville.

There were a lot of stellar performances this past week and the upcoming schedule provides another opportunity for SE Texas to stand tall on the diamond.  Good luck to all

Guest etbu

ETBU,

You just wish you were an Eagle, right ?  ;D ;D ;D

Get me in trouble with questions like that 07. Hey 07 looked a little tense Saturday when junior was on the mound. Nuting to worry about bc BH89-9 and I had it in auto pilot.

ETBU,

Please calibrate your auto pilot and bring it back this next series. Yeah, 07 was pretty wound up. Junior brought his c+ game..little amped up. He'll fix it...probably working on it as we "speak".

Thanks for the support..Good luck against TC.

Hey Mi with all  due respect we are the Falcons not the Eagles.

My mistake.  It has been corrected (although I did have it right later in the paragraph).  I thought 'birds of a feather'????  Good luck next week.

Guest etbu

My mistake.  It has been corrected (although I did have it right later in the paragraph).  I thought 'birds of a feather'????  Good luck next week.

Thanks and great write up along with the kind words

about Listi.

In 3A, the Bridge City Cardinals won their 1 game series with a 6-0 whitewash of Splendora.  Jeff Stringer was dominant, throwing a complete game and garnering an astonishing 17 strikeouts.  Casey Jackson had the big early hit for the Cards.  Next up for BC is Wharton, a 3 gamer scheduled for Baytown Lee.  21-3A was also well-represented by the HJ Hawks who threw a pair of shutouts at the Liberty Panthers.  In game 1, Nathan Ricossa was the winner in HJ’s 1-0 win.  Game 2 was not as close as the Hawks swept to a 10-0 win.  Not only did Aaron Treece throw a shutout…he also had a 3-run homer to boot.  The Hawks get Bellville this week.  District champ Jasper returns to action this week following the bye.  The Bulldogs will square off against the La Grange Leopards.

Bout the HJ game...That was Jacob Ricossa...Nathan is his older brother that gradutated last year...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats