ok is jasper a what town?

Guest coachhooker

Guest coachhooker

ok ok we must talk now is Jasper a football or baseball town now?

of course we all know periman football, ft elkins baseball, bellaire baseball, slc football,  where do we put jasper now?

Football will probably always be king in Jasper, but we love our baseball too. Jasper is very proud of these kids right now and quite frankly, the community needed a reason to pound its proverbial chest. I'm hoping that this success spills over into football and some of the other sports. It happens all the time...

You may not know this, but Jasper was a baseball town long before it became a dominant football town.  Jasper's first four years in the old 3a beginning in 1961, they "owned" the district title, and everything short of regional.  Twice they advanced to state, and in the other two years lost the third game of the regional finals to be denied trips to state.  And of course, that was when only one team advanced out of district. 

So Jasper is VERY comfortable being a baseball town.  You have to do SOMETHING in the spring.  ;)

Now we are going to turn our attention to developing our basketball program.  ;D

after this past year with an amazing baseball season...and a state championship win....and football..not so good..Jasper is now known as a baseball town

Please don't overreact to one bad football season. Jasper would go completely nuts if the we won state in football. That's not to slight what just happened in baseball and I know that we're all excited. Coach Mixon and I go back more than twenty years and I can't express how happy I am for him and those kids. They've done an amazing job and I'm so proud of them. Anyway, had we found a way to pull out that Gilmer game a few years ago, you would know exactly what I'm talking about. The only way Jasper isn't a football town is if they shut the program down altogether. Baseball is just getting a much bigger piece of the "Jasper sports pie" than it used to and I'm very pleased to see that... ;D

Please don't overreact to one bad football season. Jasper would go completely nuts if the same thing happened in football. ...... ;D

Wish you could have been at Round Rock.  :)  Jasper did go completely nuts.  ;D :)

That final game was one special night!  You may not know this, but Coach Mixon's father played on the Jasper team that went to state in 63.  Shawn and his kids just finished the job they did not get done then.  By the way, I ran into Coach Brack after the LE game.  He played on the 61 team that went to state.  I think he was as excited for these kids as he could have been if he had been on the field himself.  :)

Wish you could have been at Round Rock.   :)  Jasper did go completely nuts.   ;D :)

That final game was one special night!  You may not know this, but Coach Mixon's father played on the Jasper team that went to state in 63.  Shawn and his kids just finished the job they did not get done then.  By the way, I ran into Coach Brack after the LE game.  He played on the 61 team that went to state.  I think he was as excited for these kids as he could have been if he had been on the field himself.   :)

I was just as excited as anyone there was and even called the radio show after the game, stumbling to find words to describe the pride that I had in what those guys had just accomplished. I guess it's hard to compare the two just because the football program hasn't done it yet, so I'll concede that Jasper could be both a baseball and football town. I guess I grew up in an era when Jasper was in no one's doubt a football town and it's hard to let go of that notion, even with the amazing success of baseball. I'll never believe that football will take a back seat to anything, though.

92, I know you share the enthusiasm.  :)

The enormity of what Jasper did at state is still taking time to sink in.  Jasper had 12 hits in the first game and 16 in the second game.  That is a total of 28 hits in 14 innings, averaging 2 hits per inning!  And of those 14 innings, they scored at least one run in 12 of those innings.  And with 25 total runs scored, they converted nearly every hit to a run.  That is simply astounding to me.

They did not just win state, they made a HUGE statement about SE Texas baseball.  Thank you Bridge City, HJ, Silsbee and all the other district teams for helping hone the Jasper skills to be able to represent you so well.  :)

And of course, we must not overlook the pitchers who held powerful hitting teams to three and four runs in the two games.  :) :)

Guest BC boy 17

The way i look at it is, if your school is equaly good a football and baseball......you are a football school during football season and a baseball school during baseball season

Guest ballfan

I think jasper is a football town. Even though we just won state in baseball. I still think we are a football town. And i know everyone is excited to see what will happen here with the arrival of coach brooks, the anticipation is great.

He had 100 kids working out in the weightroom Monday morning.

Sounds like Coach Brooks has made the immediate impact that we expected. With numbers like that, Bulldog football will be back very soon. Any word on whether there will be changes in the schemes?

We hope that we become known as town of champions and are motivated by what happened for the baseball team. Jasper has produced a championship team or indvidual in the following sports: Track, Cross Country & Baseball.

Don't forget there were a few team state championships in power lifting.  :)

We hope that we become known as town of champions and are motivated by what happened for the baseball team. Jasper has produced a championship team or indvidual in the following sports: Track, Cross Country & Baseball.

also golf....my cousin was on the 1982 state winning golf team

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4