snapper ruling......we'll see how this holds up..

Gulf Council mandates 74% bycatch reduction for shrimp fleet

CCA Lawsuit Forces Reform, Sets Snapper on Road to Recovery

NEW ORLEANS - The most significant bycatch reduction measures ever imposed on the Gulf of Mexico shrimp fleet were announced today, paving the way for a steady recovery of Gulf red snapper stocks. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council voted to put limitations on the shrimp industry despite its persistent position denying any responsibility for the current status of the red snapper fishery.

In response to a lawsuit filed by CCA against the National Marine Fisheries Service last year, a federal judge ruled in March that NMFS violated the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act by its continuing failure to take timely and appropriate steps to rebuild red snapper stocks in the Gulf of Mexico or to regulate the harm to red snapper caused by shrimp fishing. The judge's ruling overturned a 2005 rebuilding plan for red snapper because it failed to address and regulate the shrimp fishing industry.

"We are very disappointed in the 'just say no' attitude of the shrimp industry," said Bob Hayes, general counsel for Coastal Conservation Association (CCA). "It's a shame we had to get a federal judge to force conservation measures on an industry that thinks it's immune from regulations."

CCA President David Cummins noted, "There are measures in this management plan that will force significant reductions in the amount of shrimp trawl bycatch so that the sacrifices made by recreational anglers to recover Gulf red snapper will no longer be in vain. The action taken today by the Gulf Council will impact recreational anglers in the short term, but for the first time there is light at the end of the tunnel."

Among other regulations approved for the red snapper fishery, the shrimp industry must reduce trawl bycatch mortality by 74 percent. The management plan also stipulates a two-fish bag limit and a 16-inch minimum size for recreational anglers during a 107-day season between June 1 and September 15. Additionally, the use of circle hooks and venting devices requested by CCA will be required for all reef fishing in the Gulf. The minimum size limit for the commercial fishery will be set at 13 inches in an effort to reduce the near-100 percent bycatch mortality in that sector. However, the Council refused requests by CCA to physically separate the commercial and recreational sectors in anticipation of problems associated with the different minimum size limits.

"We have fought NMFS on the issue of shrimp trawl bycatch for more than two decades," said Cummins. "Its refusal to address bycatch adequately at any point in the past has forced recreational anglers to accept tighter and tighter regulations while doing nothing to recover red snapper. With the successful conclusion of the lawsuit and the action taken by the Gulf Council, those days are hopefully over."

YOU WOULD THINK IF THEY WOULD MAKE THE REGS TO WHERE YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE FIRST 4 FISH YOU CATCH REGARDLESS OF SIZE THE BY CATCH WOULD DROP TREMENDOUSLY.  I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SNAPPER (RED SNAPPER) THAT WASN'T BIG ENOUGH TO CLEAN AND GET ENOUGH MEAT OFF OF TO EAT.  I KNOW YOU CAN'T REGULATE THAT BUT A LOT MORE PEOLE WOULD BE INCLINED TO FOLLOW THAT RULE AND YOU BE PULLING UP 20 FISH THAT UNLESS PUNCTURED CORRECTLY ARE GONNA DIE ANYWAY.  OF COURSE THIS APPLIES TO THE RECREATIONAL FISHERMAN.  THEY DROPPED THE COMMERCIAL LIMIT TO 13" AND I THINK THAT WAS A GOOD MOVE.  THE PROBLEM I THINK IS TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE KILLING THE UNDER SIZED ONES AND KEEPING THE BREEDERS SO POPULATION CAN'T RECOOP.    FAT CHANCE , BUT I REALLY HOPE THE TEXAS GREAT BARRIER REEF  GETS BUILT.

I've been saying that for YEARS!  We just wanna catch a quick limit and go do other stuff, but the law MAKES us kill many more fish than we want to, and the bigger the size limit, the more we're gonna kill.  Not only that, they can pu a moratorium on snapper completely, but we're still gonna catch and kill them while we fish for other stuff.

Maybe they'd be smarter to say that you can keep 10 offshore fish, total, including dolphin.  That's a fair harvest for the money it takes to go offshore.  Because, I'll be honest, when we get into a school of dolphin, our attitude is "we've gotta make up for the screwing we're getting on the snapper regs", and we keep a bunch.

The laws (and law makers) are so totally screwed up it's pathetic.

I told ya not to get me going on the snapper thing.  ::)

BTW Crazy Cajun,.....WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?????

For your info the CCA took the side of the commercial fisheren by supporting a drop in thier size limit to 13" and giving them a 365 day season to continue to rape the Gulf by supporting the IFQs. They used to be only able to fish the first 10 days of each month but now they can fish till they reach the quota set by the NMFS, all done voluntary>>what a joke. They also (CCA) put all the blame on the shrimpers, but what the fail to see is shrimping is at a all time low. I feel like PNGproud it pisses me off to even talk about it. JOIN RFA

sorry png my computer is usually set to caps for the computer program i run at work.  so if you see caps i'm not yelling, just lazy......

I completely agree with you 643, i do think it's a joke that was the basis of the post.  I definantly agree with the size limit adjustment to 13" though, I wish was in effect for the recreational side.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham