NEW SNAPPER REG'S HAVE INSPIRED ME

DROPPING TO A 2 FISH A DAY LIMIT HAS INSPIRED ME TO FISH MORE WITH ARTIFICIALS THAN THE ACCUSTOMED SNAPPER SLAPPER TIPPED WITH SARDINE.

I HAVE STARTED USING MY CALCUTTA 250 ON A ALLSTAR GAME FISH ROD LOADED WITH 17LB LINE, THEN A 30LB LEADER TO A KNIFE JIG.  BOTH TIMES I'VE BEEN OUT SINCE SNAPPER OPEND THAT JIG DOESN'T MAKE IT MORE THAN 10 SECONDS BEFORE BEING HAMMERED.  (CAPTAIN USES A CALCUTTA 400 WITH 30LB LINE, MAY BE A LITTLE SMARTER BUT I LIKE THE CHALLENGE)

TACTICS:  WE FIND THE FISH DEPTH ON THE SONAR THEN DROP TO THAT DEPTH AND BOUNCE THE JIG 2 OR 3 TIMES THEN HOLD ON.  I'M WAITING FOR THE ILLUSTRIOUS LING TO FIND IT SO WE CAN SEE HOW ME AND CAPTAIN WORK TOGETHER IN A HEAVY FISH LIGHT TACKLE SITUATION. 

Hopefully our lawmakers wont lay down for the NMFS, did notice we will be required to use non-stainless circle hooks inside St water soon. I really wish the state would classify Snapper as a game fish so the commercial guy will have to peddle their fish somewhere else.

the limit is still 4 if your in STATE WATERS "less than 9 nautical miles" from the coast line, you mean....  I rarely fish less than 30 miles out unless i'm hunting down a big kingfish for the star tournament. 

I hope NMFS doesn't roll over either, but i won't hold my breath, they have to prove thereself before i trust anything they say.  Making them a game fish would be good but it would only hold up in state waters, anything caught outside the state line would still be legal for them.  I still think the best thing that can happen is to build the TGBR. (Texas Great Barrier Reef) 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham