Offshore Thurs >>Shrimpers busted

Ran out of Sabine Thurs to some rocks about 46 miles, on the way out noticed a cpl of shrimpers with the outriggers down at 41 miles. Although I was a mile or so from them I figured they had the riggers down for a better ride. Got a 6 man limit of snaps along with a cpl of kings, on the way back in we ran up on them again but this time our course was gonna take us within a cpl of hundred yrds. When we went by the first boat I noticed his nets were in the water and he was without a dought shrimping, continued on and the next boat we passed was in the process of bringing nets on board. There were 4 boats, all Asian and all shrimping, on our way back we ran up on the CG at 20 miles offshore anchored. I made a call 'for a radio check' and then went to another ch per request at that time I reported the shrimpers and told CG if they run 19 miles at 145 degrees they would catch them culling. I followed up with a call Fri morn to the Sabine CG and was told although he could not give the perticulars the situtation WAS handled and thanked me a cpl of times for the call. I'm going to SP today to fuel my boat and then by the CG station and hoping to see 4 shrimp boats tied to the CGs dock.

I wish they would confiscate the 4 boats as the law says they can, its truly sickening to know that the criminals of this type along with some Comm guys have a long track record of this type. I'm fairly sure the CG will be and have been busy with the opening tonite at midnite. It used to be easy to catch the Comm guys fishing early, but now the NMFS has gave them a free pass to fish 24/7/365 with a voluntary quota (A JOKE) and even dropping their size limit to 13". They (NMFS) lay all the blame on shrimpers and none on the comm guys. They lowered our (Rec) limits and gave the comm guys a free pass to steal, or poach. 

Hey 643,

I'd be interested in knowing what else you find out.

Strange, but a month ago I saw a shrimper offsjore just dragging their nets, like they do to clean it after dragging.  I wasn't aware of the season being closed, or I would have moved in closer to investigate.

BTW, are you on 2cool?

Shrimping season opened last nite at mid nite, the CG has been patrolling just offshore of the La waters which is 3 miles and the season has been open there. La water goes 3 miles offshore and beyond is Fed., Texas water goes 9 miles and beyond is Fed. The CG has been patrolling at nite just outside La waters to watch for the shrimpers that mite venture a little to far out or to far West. I'm thinking the Asian shrimpers we encountered KNEW they patrol at nite and was shrimping while they slept, there was a article in the paper of this a cpl of weeks back of the CG working the La waters at nite. PNG Proud >>if he was cleaning his nets I'm a Pentecost Preacher.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham