Seahawks Baseball??

The answer regarding baseball at Lamar State College-Port Arthur is: "in the near future, no."

Looking out several years, however, anything is possible.

The addition of intercollegiate men's basketball and women's softball in 2005 made a tremendous impact on the visibility of the college in the community. It also made an impressive impact on the student body, the faculty, the staff and the community.

The new mascot, the Seahawk, and new colors (Columbia Blue and Navy Blue) also played  part in the popularity of sports at Lamar State.

I now see LSC-PA Seahawks clothing, car decals and other paraphenalia all over the Golden Triangle.

Area high school students now are aware that they have another option for playing competitive sports after graduating from high school. If they can put up some decent numbers at the junior college level, they stand a good chance of getting a scholarship to a four-year school.

The first two years, area high school seniors weren't really aware of the LSC-PA teams. Last year, students from outside the area opted to come to the college and play sports.

If this summer's softball recruiting is any indicator, many high school graduates want to play for the Lamar State-PA Seahawks. Vance Edwards' softball recruiting list reads like a Southeast Texas all-star squad roster. The Seahawks third season in the Division I Region XIV conference promises to be very interesting.

Head basketball coach Don Bryson and his new assistant, former LC-M High School coach Oliver Simmons, are hard at work recruiting for the Seahawks second season in the Division III Metro Athletic Conference.

The logical extension, in my miind, of sports at the college, would be a spring men's sport (baseball) and a winter women's sport (volleyball). The college has the facility for volleyball, but coming up with a baseball park would be moe of a challenge.

But no challenge is too great if the students and the community continue to support the college's sports teams as they have in these first three seasons.

In my view, you can never have too much baseball; however, PA is no longer a baseball town.  Their HS team is not good (they've won 2 district games in their entire existence) and their youth programs are virtually non-existent.  It is difficult to see PA drawing many baseball player (or baseball fans) down there.

I would suggest (if they choose to go forward with baseball) that they use (or build) a facility in Mid-County and try to draw from the entire Golden Triangle.  Using a HS field would be very difficult...not just for game scheduling but for practice time, indoor hitting facility, etc.

Again, I'd love to see it.  I just think its a tough sell...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4