Clay Bucholz this friday, maybe?

per MLB, redsox.com

Red Sox: Manager Terry Francona has so far declined to announce Friday's Game 2 probable starter, but did say the team might wait until Thursday before making a decision. Local media have been reporting all week that the team could call on Pawtucket phenom Clay Buchholz to make his Major League debut against the Angels. That, or calling up a different minor leaguer to make a spot start, would require some roster maneuvering. Another option on the active roster is Julian Tavarez, who despite throwing 1 2/3 innings on Wednesday has always been willing to pitch when asked, regardless of rest.

Suspense lingers

Though the Red Sox had indicated a decision would be made after yesterday's game, they had no formal announcement about tomorrow's starting pitchers in the Fenway doubleheader against the Angels. The likeliest scenario remains that Clay Buchholz will be called up from Pawtucket to start and Josh Beckett will pitch the other game.

"At some point, we'll line up the whole weekend. We're just not ready to do that," Francona said before the game. "There's a lot of things. There's no reason to announce something, then change it. We're trying to look at about three weeks ahead and offdays and where we can help guys get rest. We're just trying to line things up and do it appropriately."

With the Sox needing a roster spot for Buchholz, Wily Mo Peña may have played his last game with Boston. Peña has cleared waivers and could be dealt.

"I know something has to happen on Friday," Peña said. "But I don't know what's the deal here. I'm still here, so if Friday I come out here and something happens with me, there's nothing I can do. I know they have to [make] a move because we've got a doubleheader on Friday. So I just have to wait and see what's going to happen."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43