I would like to hear your opinion on this......

Guest christglorified

Guest christglorified

this is my first post here on this board although i've been reading it for a long while now.  I was at my alma mater's scrimmage this morning and i have to ask your opinion on what was going on......

we have a kid who played last year, but in the second half of the season he was sent to AEP for a reason that i'm not aware of.  this kid didn't go to AEP the full amount of time he was told to, he was like 15 days short of completing his term.  he will not be able to play for the team until at least week 5.  he has been coming to practice and played in the scrimmage today. 

my question is this.....should we be wasting our time trying to get this kid ready to play when we're not even sure he is going to do what is required of him to be eligible, or should we just let him fall by the wayside and work with the kids that we know are going to do what is asked of them? 

just thought i'd like to hear some of your opinions.  looking forward to joining in the conversation!!

At Dayton, the philosophy seems to be that any chance you have to save a kid.... you take it. No telling what this kid's home life is like. Some kids go through more in the morning before school than some of us do in years. Those coaches may be the only ones believing in, respecting, listening, etc. As long as he is willing to work to change things I'm all for it. As far as the team's success goes, he's got to split time with the person that is available for the entire season if I'm coaching.

At Dayton, the philosophy seems to be that any chance you have to save a kid.... you take it. No telling what this kid's home life is like. Some kids go through more in the morning before school than some of us do in years. Those coaches may be the only ones believing in, respecting, listening, etc. As long as he is willing to work to change things I'm all for it. As far as the team's success goes, he's got to split time with the person that is available for the entire season if I'm coaching.

I agree dayton good post. Surely the coaches are spliting the time at that position if they know he isn't going to be there week 0 - week 5. In my opinion the coaches aren't wasting their time, they are trying to do what is right.

I agree..give this kid another chance.We have all made mistakes especially at 15 years old.Alot of coaches will tell you football is not just about x's and o's,but life it self..

I would be more satisfied if  I helped a young man out rather then if I had a winning football team.just my opinion though

Most schools have the wisdom to have athletic manuals that govern these type issues.  More than likely he is allowed to play because of the policies that are in place.  And like those who stated it above...to err is human and to forgive is divine.  Nevertheless, I bet he is on a very short leash.

So is this AEP assignment a carry over from the end of the school year (May)or missing the end of last fb season (November '06)?  If he still needs to finish from this previous year I would be surprised he is even allowed on the field until after his assignment. 

Guest christglorified

no i was wrong on the original post.  he was sent to AEP after football season.  i meant to say in the second half of the school year.  so he was assigned to spend the spring in AEP.  sorry for the confusion. 

The answer to this might take us back to a thread we already had.

Did the kid miss the offseason training that the other kids went through?

Does your coach have this policy?

The one where they announce to all players, "if you don't participate in the offseason workouts, you cannot play in the fall".

I would think that if the AEP made him miss forty grueling workouts that the other kids went though, that he took himself out of the running to participate on the team.

ROC

Guest christglorified

well coach from last year resigned in june and a new regime was implemented in late july.  so its kinda one of those we gotta start over with our policy things

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham