this one is for the guys at Nederland and PN-G

Guest 87CRU79

Back in 2005,

Both communities were recovering from Hurrican Rita, and a football game was the last thing on anyone's mind. But after a couple of weeks, Nederland and PNG were scheduled to play each other in the first game of the shortened district schedule. However, these two teams would not play @ Bulldog Stadium or the Reservation, they would have to play at Pasadena Memorial Staium due to the damaging effects of Rita.

I remember PNG starting out with their traditional toss sweep offense and controlled most of the clock in the first half, but Nederland would jump ahead in points. Short run by gutierrez, fairly long run by Mosley, and a torching reverse to Ryan Butler put Nederland up by a couple of touchdowns. Hemming would have QB keeper for a score and PNG would run a quick huddle trick pplay to Domino to put them ahead.

Later, Butler would catch a pass late in the 4th Quarter, and would weave in and out of the defense torching Isiah Mitchell and Kenneth Tezeno. On PNG retaliatory drive Hemmings would throw a pick to Laird, who would in turn bring back for a score.

I just remember this game being very emotional due to the circumstances.

ps. I suppose Nederland was 2-0 against PNG that season, i.e. coin flip.

the last thing on anybody's mind??  man i gotta go with that was the first thing on any bodys mind that is what we were waiting to do whenever we got back in town is go after a bull dog  because that is what these two towns look forward to  is the Big Rivalry we have  you have to have one every year and you cant miss it    ;D 8)

there are three games that stand out to me ... two for the football, one for the community spirit.

1. 1992...Bobby August breaks out the "Black nights" uniforms to fire up Ned and PN-G goes out and gives it to them.

2. 2000....A back and forth game ends with Nederland winning after Joey Price misses a 40+ yard field goal to win it at the end of the game. I will never forget my good friend telling me if Price hits the field goal he was jumping from the stands.

3. After 9/11 when the bands from both schools came out togethor and played togethor. Awesome.

2000... Wide Right  (or was it left, i cant remember) but from my angle it looked good and I almost panicked! needless to say I was relieved when the ref's said no good... wasnt that Long's senior year??

Nope. They won when Dustin Long was a senior in 1999. IF I remember correctly it was the last district game of the year.  If Price hit the field goal, PNG wins and goes to the playoffs. His attempt bounced off of the upright and Nederland won 21-19 and that sent Nederland to the playoffs.

How about the 1984 game where Nederland snapped the 19 game losing streak to PN-G. Nederland was leading 13-7 late in the game and PN-G was driving for the winning touchdown and I think they were inside of the 15 yards line. Nederland held them out to hold on for the win as time expired. That was quite a celebration as the last second ticked off the game clock. I don't know if a team winning a state championship could match that crowd on that night.

There was one in the middle of the STREAK where PNG caught a long TD pass and their receiver was immediatley, and I mean immediatley high fived by one of PNG's lineman.  I wasn't old enough to remember, may not have been alive, but it's one that folks talked about a lot in the late 70's early 80's.

How about the 1984 game where Nederland snapped the 19 game losing streak to PN-G. Nederland was leading 13-7 late in the game and PN-G was driving for the winning touchdown and I think they were inside of the 15 yards line. Nederland held them out to hold on for the win as time expired. That was quite a celebration as the last second ticked off the game clock. I don't know if a team winning a state championship could match that crowd on that night.

For anyone from Nederland, this has got to be the top game...

One of the lowpoints of my life...

I was a senior at PNG that year.  Watching Nederland win that game (the first time in the life of any PNG student) was just awful.  For some of my friends at Nederland, I will never forget the joy they had that night.  It wasn't a monkey or a gorilla that was lifted off their backs, it was a dinosaur.

Fortunately for my class we finally beat TJ in our last game.

I lived in Nederland during that and was proud to storm the field after we broke the streak :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham