Stefan Huber gearing up for late switch to center

www.panews.com

Stefan Huber gearing up for late switch to center

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Six snaps into his career as a varsity center, Stefan Huber gets to snap the ball in Reliant Stadium against Brenham.

That's part of what Nederland's coaches are asking from the 6-5, 255-pound junior on Friday night. Then there's the aspect of leadership -- because Huber is the lone returning offensive starter last year.

It's also fair to suggest that Stefan brings one of the bigger, larger frames of any Nederland player... even if he shows up for a newspaper interview with a smile and a baby face.

Staying on the subject of baby for a minute -- Stefan may feel a bit the size of a baby when he shakes hands with a few of Brenham's bigger boys. Let's see, there's senior Luke Poehlmann -- 6-7, 255.... senior Anthony Chapel -- 5-9, 278.... junior Kip Maxwell, 6-2, 285.... junior Dayarion Broadnax, 5-11, 278.... and last but certainly not least, senior Desmond Carr -- 6-8, 360.

Those Cubs may seem more like Bears than Cubs, but Stefan can only worry about the side of the line which Nederland can control. A starter for all 12 games on offense at strongside tackle in his sophomore season, Huber opened fall practice early this month as a guard. He only had the opportunity to snap the ball six times last Friday night at Jasper.

That's OK because Huber starts at center ready or not. The 17-year-old son of Dr. Tighe and Carolyn Huber learned of his latest new assignment on Monday morning. Consequently, there will be butterflies in attendance inside that black jersey with the white number 54 on front and back. But fewer butterflies may show up inside Stefan than they did last year.

That's the night when Huber made his first varsity start with La Marque serving as the opponent, and Reliant Stadium as the venue.

"Talk about being nervous last year," Huber recalled. "It was a big start and it was La Marque which has been a powerhouse all through the 90s."

There was one very soothing sedative prescribed for Huber on that occasion, though. The sophomore was surrounded by an all-veteran line of seniors Joe Isbell (left tackle), Adam Westbrook (left guard), Blaine Daniel (center), Matt Molina (right guard) and Phillip Biehle (tight end).

None of them get to play this week or any other remaining week in the 2007 season. They've graduated.

"It helped a lot being on a veteran offensive line," Stefan said. "Just all their help was tremendous and priceless. All the experiences they taught me... I messed up a little but I believed in my teammates and (offensive line coach David) coach Crommett. He taught me a lot last year.

“I would have to call him one of my favorite coaches. He's always been there. He's a good teacher. He's tough on you but he's there for you. You can ask him anything and he has all the answers or he will find the answer for you."

A veteran offensive line coach who has done a lot to establish a tradition of pride and performance in Nederland's blocking units, Crommett would love for Huber to become the Bulldogs' answer at center for these next two full seasons.

"He (Huber) had the growing pains last year that they're all doing this year," Crommett said, putting the importance of experience into perspective.

The mix-and-match efforts may take several weeks for those leading offensive line candidates Albert Clavijo, Nick Smith, Michael Benefield, and J.T. Copeland. It's a matter of Neumann and Crommett seeking to find the best combination to insert the abilities of five athletes into five positions.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham