Opinions, please....

CardinalBacker

Breonna Taylor was killed in Louisville a couple of weeks ago.

The facts are that the police were executing a no-knock warrant at her residence... upon entry Breonna's boyfriend shot a cop and the cops shot Breonna 8 times... she died. The left is painting this as a racial murder of an unarmed black person by police.  Those supporting law enforcement are hiding behind the warrant.

I really don't know how this should be handled.  Horrible event, shouldn't have happened, etc....  But I support the right of the boyfriend to protect himself and his home if he thought he was being robbed.  I also believe that the police have a right to defend themselves from gunfire. 

Apparently the ex-boyfriend of Ms. Taylor was the focus of the investigation and multiple locations were searched.  It also looks like the ex was taken into custody prior to the shooting at the Taylor residence.  The warrant alleges delivery of packages (drugs or money) at the Taylor residence in the past.

I really don't have a clue on this one.  It'd be interesting to hear the opinions of some of the LEOs here, as well as the opinions from countering views.   I haven't noticed an overtly racial indication from anywhere on this one, other than the deceased being black.

How do y'all feel about what happened to Breonna and who is at fault?

34 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Breonna Taylor was killed in Louisville a couple of weeks ago.

The facts are that the police were executing a no-knock warrant at her residence... upon entry Breonna's boyfriend shot a cop and the cops shot Breonna 8 times... she died. The left is painting this as a racial murder of an unarmed black person by police.  Those supporting law enforcement are hiding behind the warrant.

I really don't know how this should be handled.  Horrible event, shouldn't have happened, etc....  But I support the right of the boyfriend to protect himself and his home if he thought he was being robbed.  I also believe that the police have a right to defend themselves from gunfire. 

Apparently the ex-boyfriend of Ms. Taylor was the focus of the investigation and multiple locations were searched.  It also looks like the ex was taken into custody prior to the shooting at the Taylor residence.  The warrant alleges delivery of packages (drugs or money) at the Taylor residence in the past.

I really don't have a clue on this one.  It'd be interesting to hear the opinions of some of the LEOs here, as well as the opinions from countering views.   I haven't noticed an overtly racial indication from anywhere on this one, other than the deceased being black.

How do y'all feel about what happened to Breonna and who is at fault?

Man, you definitely pointed out the pertinent information, but without an an actual accounting of the incident in great detail, it would be too difficult to award blame. I will say that if this “no-knock” warrant is a real thing, that definitely sounds like a dangerous practice for both sides of the door. If someone busted through my door unannounced and my weapon was close by (which it usually is), I’m going to assume a defensive posture and begin shooting. 

Throw the racial angle out for the purpose of discussion. The same thing happened a couple of years ago in Houston. A man and woman were both killed. It turned out that there was a clerical error on the warrant and the cops went to the wrong address. 

My understanding is that a typical search warrant is handled like the one in Goodfellas where they knock on the front door, show the warrant and proceed with a systematic search. No-knocks are authorizes in certain situations and it’s where they basically just blast your front door in and come on in. 

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Throw the racial angle out for the purpose of discussion. The same thing happened a couple of years ago in Houston. A man and woman were both killed. It turned out that there was a clerical error on the warrant and the cops went to the wrong address. 

My understanding is that a typical search warrant is handled like the one in Goodfellas where they knock on the front door, show the warrant and proceed with a systematic search. No-knocks are authorizes in certain situations and it’s where they basically just blast your front door in and come on in. 

Did they yell "Police!"?

Because if they did that, and then you see police busting in the door, and you still shoot at them...you get what you deserve. 

If they didn't yell, I can see shooting at an intruder. But still, most people would have a moment of hesitation (and not shoot) because it looks like police. 

Either way, the cops are likely covered under the law because of the Warrant. 

But like I said before, it's hard to say without more information. 

1 minute ago, NetCat said:

Also how likely is an intruder to bust open your front door? That is almost exclusively a cop procedure, and not something they do lightly. Most home intruders try to sneak in. 

You’re speaking from the stance of a regular citizen. If you’re a drug dealer or some other kind of “bad guy” or even an informant, for that matter, you may be susceptible to a variety of folks trying to knock down your door...

52 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

You’re speaking from the stance of a regular citizen. If you’re a drug dealer or some other kind of “bad guy” or even an informant, for that matter, you may be susceptible to a variety of folks trying to knock down your door...

And you get what you deserve for doing that...one of the "prices of doing business". 

55 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

And this is being put out there like they were regular citizens right? If they were regular citizens then I'm speaking from their stance right? 

33 minutes ago, NetCat said:

And this is being put out there like they were regular citizens right? If they were regular citizens then I'm speaking from their stance right? 

My understanding is that Breonna Taylor and her new boyfriend were just regular citizens.... They weren't the target of the warrant.  It's possible that the location was used for package exchange in the past or as a residence of the old boyfriend.  Nobody is alleging any wrongdoing on part of the new boyfriend or the deceased.  That's my understanding.