*UIL FOOTBALL CHANGES LIKELY COMING FOR 2008..OCT. 22 IS THE VOTE*

KFDM COOP

UIL FOOTBALL CHANGES LIKELY COMING FOR 2008

Bob Gillis insists he has no inside knowledge. But as the president-elect of the Texas High School Coaches Association the El Campo athletic director and head football coach has a good idea of what's going on in athletics around the state.

So when Gillis says, "I think it's coming," you can probably assume the University Interscholastic League is getting ready to introduce a new playoff system for high school football in Texas.

Word of what the UIL is considering leaked out last spring but it was at the coaches association's recent coaching school in Fort Worth that the UIL seemed to be applying what could best be described as a full-court press for the playoff proposal.

Charles Breithaupt, the UIL's athletic director, brought up the proposal without prompting at the UIL's annual coaching school press conference and the UIL hosted a presentation for the coaches, displaying possible districts based on the UIL's previous realignment and reclassification.

Breithaupt said similar playoff proposals have been studied in the past and the format is already in place for six-man teams. The current proposal began to take shape after the UIL's reclassification and realignment was released for the 2006-07 school years. Wylie, which is one of the smallest Class 5A schools in the state, complained about being placed in a district with Allen and the Plano schools, who are among the largest schools in the state.

Breithaupt said the UIL began looking for ways to reduce the disparity in enrollment without adding too much travel. The current proposal, which has caused quite of bit of confusion among coaches and fans, was the result.

The UIL's proposal, which is only for football, would reshape the current district alignments. Schools would be aligned by their enrollment. The schools with the largest enrollment would be divided into 16 Division I districts in each classification. The schools with the smallest enrollment would be divided into 16 Division II districts.

Unlike the present playoff format, which classifies teams as Division I or Division II after the playoff representatives are determined, teams would know before the season whether they would compete in Division I or Division II.

Four schools from each Class 5A district currently advance to the playoffs so the first- and fourth-place finishers and second- and third-place finishers would still meet in the bi-district round of their respective divisions.

The same district alignment would be followed for schools in Class 4A and smaller classifications but since three schools in these classifications advance to the postseason, the district champion would earn a first-round bye as it currently does in sports other than football, and the second- and third-place teams would meet in the bi-district round of their respective divisions.

Coaches seem to be split on the idea of a first-round bye for the district champion. Those in favor say it puts meaning back into a district championship and gives a team an extra week to heal injuries. Those opposed are worried about what a week off would do to a team's momentum.

The proposal is certain to create different districts for football and other sports. For instance, El Campo and Bay City currently compete in District 24-4A against the Rosenberg-Richmond schools and Katy Seven Lakes. Under the proposal, Gillis said El Campo and Bay City would likely be in a Division II football district. The Rosenberg-Richmond schools and Seven Lakes would likely be Division I schools.

The playoff proposal's affect on travel remains a concern even though Breithaupt said during his press conference, "It's not a bad as you think it is."

Coaches polled on the playoff proposal at coaching school were evenly split and Gillis believes the more coaches learn about the format the better they will like it.

"We talk about squeezing that gap and this seems to be the fairest way to do it," said Gillis, who was front and center for the UIL's coaching school presentation. "Just looking at the concept, it's the most equitable I've seen."

The Legislative Council of the UIL is expected to vote on the playoff proposal when it meets in October. If the proposal wins the council's approval, it would be implemented for the 2008 season. The biggest reaction - positive and negative - will come when the district alignments are released by the UIL in late January or early February.

"With every coach it's going to come down to how does it affect your school," Gillis said. "It's all about who you play and who you don't."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the 4a school District Champs actually will have a since of accomplishment other tan playing a weak schedule in the playoffs. I like it. Though I do have mixed feeling about the bye week. I'd want my team playing. It could hurt your team. The team you play the next week is coming off a win. That translates momentum. your team will have to establish itself after that bye week. I have mixed feelings. But then again its good if you have injured players that need that week of healing.

So, if I read this correctly, when realignment comes in Feb., UIL ( NCAA wannabees ) will have two different districts for schools to participate in. One for strictly football, the other for all other sports. This seems just so unnecessary. Girls vollyball could be playing totally different schools than the football team does.

Question, don't the A.D.'s in your district get together and determine what schools chair each sport? How would they determine football, seeing that you usually spread it out so that everyone gets a piece of the pie.

Here is an interview to listen to from the UIL Director from a site near Austin. Once the site comes up scroll down to the Aug. 15 (8-15) Archived show and click on it. Once that comes up you have to move your real Player time to 43 minutes into the show. That's when the interview begins.

http://www.kmacsports.com/HSSZ.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EagleFan01

This is stupid. I don't care if it helps smaller schools make the playoffs or whatever. If you want to make the playoffs work hard and get better coach's in your school and then you might have a chance to make the playoffs. That is just stupid to much driving for the fans and way to far to travel for some of these teams. Leave it the way it is and be done with it, if you want a shot at the playoffs get off your lazy butts and work and get better.

This is stupid. I don't care if it helps smaller schools make the playoffs or whatever. If you want to make the playoffs work hard and get better coach's in your school and then you might have a chance to make the playoffs. That is just stupid to much driving for the fans and way to far to travel for some of these teams. Leave it the way it is and be done with it, if you want a shot at the playoffs get off your lazy butts and work and get better.

Sounds like you'll have to get off your lazy butt and travel a little farther next year to see your eagles play.

Guest EagleFan01

I AM USED TO LONG TRIPS WITH NEWTON ESPECIALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS WE GO TO WACO ALOT TO PLAY.  I WILL GET UP AND GO WHERE THE GAME IS I DON'T CARE. ALL I SAY IS THAT ALL THE SMALL SCHOOLS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT PLAYING BIGGER SCHOOLS IN DISTRICT THAT IS WHY THEY CAN'T GO TO THE PLAYOFFS. THAT IS CRAP NEWTON IS ALWAYS SMALL AND THEY MAKE IT SO DOES KIRBYVILLE, EAST CHAMBERS TEAMS LIKE THIS ALWAYS MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS. TEAMS NEED TO WORK A LITTLE HARDER IN THE OFF SEASON AND SPRING PRACTICE AND TWO A DAYS THEN THEY MIGHT MAKE IT SOMEWHERE.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats