'57 NHS champions growl again/Ned 50 Yr. Reunion Friday

KFDM COOP

'57 NHS champions growl again

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Bum's planning on coming, so this 50-year deal has to be pretty important.

Fifty years later, the 1957 Class AAA state champion Nederland Bulldogs will convene once more. This time it will feel great just to enjoy each other's company.

Yet the idea is to honor them again. Perhaps for the last time, but perhaps not.

When Nederland faces Vidor in Friday night's District 22-4A football opener, the 2007 homecoming ceremony shares the spotlight with a legendary, historic piece of the Bulldogs' proud past.

A 50-year reunion to honor the 14-0 state champs of coach Emmett McKenzie was an idea coordinated by former NHS bandsman Arthur Newman and NISD athletic coordinator and head football coach Larry Neumann.

When Newman and Neumann finished their blueprint, they arranged a full agenda of weekend activities to recognize and honor the 1957 team.

"It's a pretty special time in Nederland's history," Arthur Newman reflected on Friday. "That team put in a lot of hard work to do what they did. A lot of people who have moved to Nederland over the years know nothing about what this team accomplished."

A fellow classmate of those 1958 NHS graduates, Newman approached the Bulldogs' coach last winter about the idea of honoring the '57 state champs during this season.

Nederland's head football coach proved more than accommodating.

This reporter gathered a number of team members at NHS 10 years ago for a story and picture in Dec. 1997. But one special architect of that 1957 squad could not be present. Wade's daddy, O.A. "Bum" Phillips, intends to participate in at least part of this year's activities.

A dinner for the 1957 honorees will be held Thursday night in Nederland's First United Methodist Church Family Center with a social at 6 p.m., followed by a meal at 7 p.m.

Each honoree and one guest will receive a complimentary dinner. The cost for any additional dinners will be $15.

Former players and coaches also will be recognized on Friday morning at the homecoming pep rally in the Dogdome at 8 a.m.

Phillips is not expected to arrive until Friday morning. He is scheduled to address Nederland's current players during a late morning team meeting. Then Bum will mix and mingle with former players at a noon luncheon at Sanderson's Restaurant.

While homecoming festivities will start at 6:30 prior to Nederland's 7 o'clock kickoff against Vidor, the 1957 honorees will receive special recognition during this Friday night's halftime ceremonies. Cheerleaders from the 1957 team also will be on the field for that ceremony.

I wish my Uncle could have made it to this night...

Donald Sims passed away about 4 weeks ago from asbestos cancer.

He always talked highly of Bum and being on the state championship team.

There was some players on that team at this funeral.

I hope the weather is spectacular this Friday night.

It is also very nice Bum is coming.

He is a very special person.

Didn't know it at the time, but while I was growing up on Merriman street, three houses down from me was the house that Bum lived in while he was coaching at PN-G and Nederland.  It is still there.

Good luck to the Bulldogs this Friday and I hope the homecoming celebrations top off a magical night for the 57 team and the 2007 team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham