*BC 3 Silsbee 2 FINAL Saturday*

Lady Cards down Silsbee to win 21-3A

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

SILSBEE — At least in their heads, which is probably all that matters to them anyway., the Bridge City Lady Cardinals can call themselves District 21-3A champions.

The Lady Cardinals fought back from a 2-1 deficit to overtake the Silsbee Lady Tigers for a thrilling, 5-game victory in a one-match playoff to determine first and second seeding heading into the playoffs.

Bridge City won the match 25-15, 22-25, 22-25, 25-18 and 15-11.

The two squads will actually share the championship duties yet Bridge City was the one who walk away with the win both teams coveted.

"Of course it meant a lot to win this match," Bridge City Coach Becca Mathews said. "I'm super proud of the team today because they never once gave up. Silsbee is an awesome team. This match could easily have went either way."

Senior Audrey Myers led the match with an amazing 31 kills and also poured in 20 assists while sophomore sensation Emily Kosh had a match-high 36 assists.

The two were far from alone as senior Lauren Angelle poured in 23 kills and 28 digs while twin sister Jenna Angelle was business as usual in the backcourt with a match-high 39 digs.

While fellow senior Kayla Fullerton did not post any match-high statistics, she did however have a match changing block.

In Game 5 with the Lady Cardinals up 13-9 and the Lady Tigers finding some momentum, Silsbee went to Brittany Henry to keep the pressure on Bridge City.

As Henry, who had 13 kills to Silsbee, went up for a kill Fullerton went up as well.

Fullerton denied Henry a point and came away with a block pushing the Lady Cardinals up 14-9. Fullerton finished the match with seven kills and two aces.

It took three more plays for Bridge City to come away with a win and in the end it was Kosh finding Myers for a perfect set-and-kill.

"Do you see me crying," Fullerton said when asked how much the match meant to her. "It is amazing. After the block happened, I seriously felt like I was on Cloud 9. I love my team. I am so proud of them. I know now we are going to do great in the playoffs."

Fullerton and the Lady Cardinals stormed out to a quick 1-0 lead in the match only to see the Lady Tigers show the poise that made them 13-1 in District 21-3A play just like Bridge City.

In Game 2 Silsbee shrugged off Bridge City who fought back from a six point deficit to tie the game at 19 on a Mallory Guidry ace.

Silsbee's Demetriss Rhone, who had eight kills, hit two service points in a row to give the Lady Tigers a 23-20 cushion.

Lauren Angelle ended the run with a kill but her serve then went directly out of bounds.

Silsbee did not capitalize as its next serve went out.

Henry then gave the Lady Tigers a 25-22 win in Game 2 with a kill set by Caitlin Callicutt, who finished the match with 27 assists.

Bridge City then fought back in Game 3 as Silsbee went up 20-15 midway through the game.

Lauren Angelle hit for six straight service points to give Bridge City a 22-20 lead.

Silsbee did the rest of the scoring as Calicutt knocked home four straight points to end the game at 25-22.

The Lady Cardinals were then the ones doing the shrugging in Game 4 as Bridge City did not blink at the thought of losing the match.

Bridge City led the entire fourth game as Kosh got the Lady Cardinals off to a fast start with two straight points.

Kosh and Myers hooked up six times in Game 4 for set and kills as the Lady Cardinals forced Game 5.

Bridge City did lead at one point 9-2 in Game 4 only to of course see Silsbee never quit.

Game 1 was all Bridge City the Lady Cardinals came out firing on all cylinders.

Kosh had five service points in Game 1 and Myers had a run of four straight towards the end of the game.

The Lady Cardinals will take the first round off and start their playoff run later next week.

Guest SoftballFan

It was a great game!!!  Both teams played awesome.  I would like to thank those that came out and supported the Lady Cardinals.  It means SO much to the girls when they have fans in the stands to cheer them on!!!  Congratulations Lady Cards

Now...let's prepare for the PLAYOFFS!!!

;D

Wow, 21-3A should be proud of the two front runners.

My take was that maybe Sil. had the best Volleyball players, as was noted when they led-two to one after three games. However, in the last two games the strong athleticism, strength and stamina of the BC squad started to prevail; thus giving them them the coveted come-from-behind sweet win.

Congrats also to H-F for prevailing over OF and getting the 3rd spot nailed for the bracket playoffs.

We brought the SCRUBS out to watch this one, we saw the second time these two matched up and saw a Silsbee victory but we were'nt so fortunate this time.  Great game though, have to give props to B.C.'s #2 she is a savage.  Every time it looked like Silsbee would take it #2 came back. Crazy game!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43