What Has Happened To Nederland????

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

Guest osue200

Whenever you have a one dimensional offense that relies heavily on a passing game as much as Ned did (even though it was very explosive in the beginning) teams are going to figure out a way to stop it.  ie. PNG, Dayton and Lumberton.  The most disappointing thing about it is Nederland didn't ever have a answer.  2 weeks in a row getting whipped at half time come back out in the 3rd quarter and do the same thing no adjustments made.  I didn't get to see this game but listened to it on the radio and it sounded like the same thing the week before.  Heck when I heard ASA was playing QB I thought hey man hear we go they are trying something different if you cannot get the ball to him by passing he might make something happen with his feet.  Except I missed the part that Kirby came out after the wind got knocked out of him.  Then the defense was soft no matter how you look at it.  I don't know if its just me but the players just didn't look like they had any fire left.

Just a very disappointing last two weeks

Nederland still had a great season, but if  you remember, I've been saying that nederland needs to find a consistant running game.  Coach Neuman will make these adjustments in the offseason and will be set for another wild ride.  Those guys didnt' make 11 straight playoff appearances for nothing.  They will be back were they need to be, you can believe that.

Guest BIG HOUSE

I don't tink their players quit,but I did pass about a dozen fans @ halftime that were trying to beat the traffic ;) ;) ;) ;)

And then in the 3rd. qtr they started filing out in droves ;D ;D ;D ;D

That must have sent their players a great message.........Pack it up boys before the L-Train hits you again :-* :-* :-* :-*

I don't tink their players quit,but I did pass about a dozen fans @ halftime that were trying to beat the traffic ;) ;) ;) ;)

And then in the 3rd. qtr they started filing out in droves ;D ;D ;D ;D

That must have sent their players a great message.........Pack it up boys before the L-Train hits you again :-* :-* :-* :-*

I have to give credit, the team never quit. They were honestly playing hard to the end. There were some fans that left, but when the clock struck zero there were still a lot of people there. Lumberton was a far superior team and as the game progressed they became more and more confident and rightfully so.

I think there are 3 things that just killed Nederland before the season ever started.

First is the lack of a running threat to GO ALONG with the spread. Im not saying we did not have running backs, we did! I just dont think that running the ball was part of the plan.

Second is a lack of creative play calling that included a balanced attack in the plan. Also I think having an offensive line that is inexperienced and cant win the battle in the trenches in a grinding running game is a big part of why they abandoned the run.  

Third and this is the biggest thing to me... What has happened to the run defense? They need to figure this out! I don't think it was a pesonnel problem. I honestly think this is one of the most talented defenses we have ever had. They seem to have setup the defense to play scared and passively and they GIVE yards in fear of giving yards. No one ever seemed to know where the football was all year and when they did the players just hugged the ball carrier to the ground. Lumberton put on a clinic in how to tackle violently. When they tackled they HIT hard, wrapped up and the runner went DOWN! Even against Hemmings this was true. He ran over people some but fundamentally Dayton and Lumbertons defensive coaches need to put on a tackling and philosophy class for the Nederland defensive staff. If they dont stop coaching the kids to play NOT to get beaten instead of caoching them to take the fight to the offense, this is going to happen year after year against good teams. I saw one real blitz last night and it worked perfectly and we stopped L-Town for a loss. 1 BLITZ!! ALL NIGHT! Other than that the players were doing what it looks like they are taught. To me it looks like when the ball is snapped they are taught to give yourself some space to figure out what is going on, keep the ball carrier in front of you and when you see the play happen THEN go to the ball. By the time that happens the runner is in the secondary and since they are not taught to kill the runner, by the time they hug him down he has fallen another 4-7 yards. Bottom line, they are not agressive or coached smartly enough to win the battle at the line. I am not a coach but THEY ARE. I can understand losing games but the Dogs used to know how to play defense... It looks like they have forgotten or something.

It's called REALITY!

For it's first six games, Nederland really didn't play anybody (except for Brenham in week 1).

There hardest three games were in their last four games and they went 1 and 3.

Not a good way to finish the season.

You started out as an interesting guy to read and I thought a pretty good overall fan.. and although you are somewhat right you are a TERRIBLY ungracious winner.  ::)

No matter, I still hope Dayton kicks butt in the playoffs.  ;)

My Karma finally went negative,, what took you haters so long!? ;D

You started out as an interesting guy to read and I thought a pretty good overall fan.. and although you are somewhat right you are a TERRIBLY ungracious winner.  ::)

No matter, I still hope Dayton kicks butt in the playoffs.  ;)

My Karma finally went negative,, what took you haters so long!? ;D

As a PN-G grad, I have little sympathy for the Dogs....

I just write what I think happened.

I do thing the Bulldogs did play their hardest three opponents last, and just didn't have the firepower to compete with them.

Good luck to the Bulldogs in the other sports this year.

As a PN-G grad, I have little sympathy for the Dogs....

I just write what I think happened.

I do thing the Bulldogs did play their hardest three opponents last, and just didn't have the firepower to compete with them.

Good luck to the Bulldogs in the other sports this year.

I do agree with that.... Actually because of the defense, not the kids, the defensive philosophy,,,,,I could see it coming all year although one must hope.  8)

Thats ok, there is always next year and as I have done for the last 12 years I will continue to go to as many playoff games as possible if time and my wife permits. Hopefully I can make a couple of Dayton games.

Guest WeedBegone

I do agree with that.... Actually because of the defense, not the kids, the defensive philosophy,,,,,I could see it coming all year although one must hope.  8)

Thats ok, there is always next year and as I have done for the last 12 years I will continue to go to as many playoff games as possible if time and my wife permits. Hopefully I can make a couple of Dayton games.

M/E  --good news you got one of your Karma points back.  The bad news is that your are flat lining now so we need someone else to pull you out. 

OVERALL THEY HAD A PRETTY GOOD YEAR. THE TEAM RESPONDED PRETTY WELL FROM THE LOSS OF RYAN AT QB.CONSIDERING THE LACK OF ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION(ONLY SUITED UP 32-36),THIS TEAM PERFORMED AS WELL AS EXPECTED.WITH THE NEW OFFENSE,IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS.IN THE OFF SEASON, NED WILL HAVE TO DEVELOP SOME TYPE OF RUNNING ATTACK THAT WILL COMPLEMENT THE PASSING GAME. CAN'T HAVE 5'1"-120LB. BACKS.THE DEFENSIVE SCHEME NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERHAUL.THEY PERFORMED POORLY ALL SEASON.KIRBY PERFORMED GREAT. WAS AMONG THE HOUSTON AREA LEADERS ALL YEAR,A GREAT ONE IN THE MAKING.

My take:

1. This team lacked intensity all season long. I saw other teams bouncing around all season, high fiving and what not, but not us.

2. We completely abandoned the running game the last two weeks. Even if your running game is not good, you still cannot pass every down. And, if you are going to run the ball, then hand it to your backs. We would do WR reverses and QB sneaks for our run plays. Not good.

3. We really only had 2 quality wins that were as good or better teams than us. Those being Brenham and Waller.

4. We lacked senior leadership. The team's players that tried to lead the team were all underclassmen in my opinion.

5. Defensively we missed way too many tackles and I still think DJ and Wareall should have been at LB especially against running teams.

6. We played in a good and balanced district. The three best teams made the playoffs.

7. We finished 7-3 and after week 1 and Sampere's injury, I think most thought it would be much worse than that.

8. I thought for the first season, the spread looked good. Even though it fizzled a bit at the end.

9. Running game should be better next season with Roy and Salenga and a more experienced O-Line.

10. I am really looking forward to next season. All great things eventually come to an end. It is time to start a new streak and Nederland football looks well stocked for at least the next 5 years in my opinon. Good luck to all of this years playoff participants. You earned it!

My take:

1. This team lacked intensity all season long. I saw other teams bouncing around all season, high fiving and what not, but not us.

2. We completely abandoned the running game the last two weeks. Even if your running game is not good, you still cannot pass every down. And, if you are going to run the ball, then hand it to your backs. We would do WR reverses and QB sneaks for our run plays. Not good.

3. We really only had 2 quality wins that were as good or better teams than us. Those being Brenham and Waller.

4. We lacked senior leadership. The team's players that tried to lead the team were all underclassmen in my opinion.

5. Defensively we missed way too many tackles and I still think DJ and Wareall should have been at LB especially against running teams.

6. We played in a good and balanced district. The three best teams made the playoffs.

7. We finished 7-3 and after week 1 and Sampere's injury, I think most thought it would be much worse than that.

8. I thought for the first season, the spread looked good. Even though it fizzled a bit at the end.

9. Running game should be better next season with Roy and Salenga and a more experienced O-Line.

10. I am really looking forward to next season. All great things eventually come to an end. It is time to start a new streak and Nederland football looks well stocked for at least the next 5 years in my opinon. Good luck to all of this years playoff participants. You earned it!

good post jake.

My take:

Great post!

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

This wasn't a typical Nederland team for some reason. Look at how we started off the season, beating Brenham young QB doing a great job. What happened?

Jake, it's hard to add much to what you posted. Everything you said rings true. I would like to add soem though. I hope no one ever thinks I am bashing or in any way trying to lay blame for the outcome of the season on any one player. I would never do that.

1. I would like to see our defense leg tackle. We try to hit high and take down, or sometimes it appears we are doing nothing more than tackling the ball....trying to force a fumble. This just doesn't work at all. Guys like Hemmings and the RB for Dayton (both hosses) have to be hit low or they will drag you, which is what happened.

2. The QB in a spread offense has to be more involved in the run game..a la Vince Young. This is a weapon that Sampere brought to the game. I am not knocking Bellow, just comparing the two styles.

3. Our QB coach needs to teach the QB to look off his receivers. Telegraphing your passes makes it too easy for the defense to react when you eye one receiver from the snap. Also need to throw the ball away and not force a play. Give yourself another chance.

4. (Already mentioned) A more experienced o-line next year will surely have more blocking schemes for the RBs.

5. Other than that, I think we're perfect.  ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham