What does History mean in High School Football?To players, Fans, Parents/Coaches

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

What does History mean in High School Football?, To players, Fans, Parents, Coaches 

What exactly does history mean in the context of high school football?

Its going to apply motivation or fear in the student athletes. Its going to shorten or lengthen the careers of coaching professionals. Its going to cause posters on SDC to pay more for blood pressure medication and maybe napkins to wipe the foam off their mouths.

I have no shortage of strong opinions, I'd like to hear some of yours.

I think the history and/or tradition can play a huge part in motivation of current players and future players.  Wanting to be a part of that history is a big influence on younger kids.  Now, talk about pressure, there will no shortage of it at a school with a long history of success.  Each year the high school kids will feel pressure to carry on. This is where they learn to be dedicated to what they want to accomplish.  it definitely reveals the character of a kid. 

When a school has a strong history/tradition it can be a powerful motivational tool when going into a game.  i have seen a team win by tradition alone some times.  There other team just sort of crumbles in the clutch because of the aura of success that a traditionally tough team carries. 

A few years back I saw a local team crumble after dominating for three quarters over a team with a long, strong tradition.  Things got tough and they fell apart.  In his post game speech, the coach of the team with the tradition made the comment that his team would find a way to win and the other team would also find a way for his team to win as well.  I feel like tradition and history is worth a TD or two in football or maybe 10+ points in basketball. 

The same things can hold true except on the flip side for a team with a poor tradition or losing tradition.  They just never feel like they can get over the hump and win with conisitancy.  This is a killer of programs. 

As far as history and the coaching profession, if you win you better be able to keep winning or it will be time to find another job.

Ok, just my opinion here!

As for Kountze the past does not equal the future. If we look back for a winning streak, we can only look back this year for motivation. If we look back any further we can only see the agony of defeat and sometimes this can be a motivator also.

As for the fans,  this year was greatly needed, it has fired us up and made us hungry for more.

As a Parent I am very proud of my son Thomas Wolcott and all his team mates for the hard work they have put forth this year and have played as a team. They are truly a BAND OF BROTHERS!!!!! And I am One proud Dad !!!

Coaches, we as Kountze parents thank you for your hard work on and off the field you have helped shape our boys into young men and for this we give you many thanks.

Bud Wolcott

I think the history and/or tradition can play a huge part in motivation of current players and future players.  Wanting to be a part of that history is a big influence on younger kids.  Now, talk about pressure, there will no shortage of it at a school with a long history of success.  Each year the high school kids will feel pressure to carry on. This is where they learn to be dedicated to what they want to accomplish.  it definitely reveals the character of a kid. 

When a school has a strong history/tradition it can be a powerful motivational tool when going into a game.  i have seen a team win by tradition alone some times.  There other team just sort of crumbles in the clutch because of the aura of success that a traditionally tough team carries. 

A few years back I saw a local team crumble after dominating for three quarters over a team with a long, strong tradition.  Things got tough and they fell apart.  In his post game speech, the coach of the team with the tradition made the comment that his team would find a way to win and the other team would also find a way for his team to win as well.  I feel like tradition and history is worth a TD or two in football or maybe 10+ points in basketball. 

The same things can hold true except on the flip side for a team with a poor tradition or losing tradition.  They just never feel like they can get over the hump and win with conisitancy.  This is a killer of programs. 

As far as history and the coaching profession, if you win you better be able to keep winning or it will be time to find another job.

Well said

What you just spoke of was probably the difference in the PN-G - Lumberton game.

Lumberton playing PN-G elsewhere might have a different outcome.

When you play teams like PN-G that have a home side that seats close to 8000, that is just a huge homefield advantage.

To top that off....

Honor Pride and Tradition make it even tougher to win there.

I doubt it at the REZ or at their field i dont think it would of made a difference, the boys wanted the raiders to come into the game undefeated so they could beat them and prove to everyone that they deserved to be in the top of the district

Every PNG player knows they have a tradition rich history to live up to, its all over the field house and weight room, heck even my kids (5,7&9) can tell you about the Indians, my 5 yr old daughter can sing the fight song better than i can, Pride, Honor, Tradition is something that is taught in the homes as well as the school, and real NDNs stand for cherokee was being thrown around this year also. Want to see how deep it goes come to the Jr MCM game in Ned from Flag on up will be fighting, youll see many of the HS players out there and if it is like last year the spirit showed up along with some of the band to support these kids

I know at WOS, people EXPECT to win.  Players know that when they decide they want to be Mustangs, it is not without hard work, long hours and P.O.T.  It has now come the second generation....if a former Mustang has a son playing on the team, he expresses to his son the tradition and spirit of the team and the rules of the silver and blue.  It does not matter who the player is, if he screws up, he gets a P.O.T.  That is the history and the tradition of WOS.  However, it comes with great reward....the winningest program in Texas high school football.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43