5A D1 District 11 Discussion Thread

On 8/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, Justafan72 said:

Another SCARY name popped up on the Crosby Roster,any comments on another backfield addition. 

I don't really want to comment on any offseason additions outside of the one that I was involved in that I already mentioned above. I will say Willis has had my nephew working the X-receiver instead of A-back all week if that's an indication? Hard to be optimistic about anything until the plays get called though.  

Crosby fans should be able to finally find out who the starting QB is going to be today? Think one of the three has fallen out of consideration since the other two are getting the bulk of the first team reps. If both of the kids play even I sincerely hope Willis goes with the sophomore the way they would do in college. 

On the defensive side of the ball, if Crosby gives up anything in the live portion I would be concerned. On paper this should be one of the better units Crosby has had but but we'll see if they've absorbed enough of the new system which would allow them to play a lot faster than they did last year? If Lee is able to go up and down the field on us it feels like this could be another sub-.500 season which would be even more disappointing than last year since a district like this would've been considered a cake-walk for Crosby in the not too distant past. 

If tonight was any indication it looks like it’s going to be another long year for Crosby. Looks like we picked up right where we left off last year.

Coach Hurts exploited our defense with kids who looked smaller and less athletic than our freshman squad and the offense is more of the same from last year. Can’t get any movement in the trenches but we’re still going to run it on first and second down, throw an incompletion on 3&8 then punt. 

Was really hoping we would look better in year two but now I just think we are what we are until something changes. 

A very unemotional performance by the Cougars.More emotion on the Lee side from their Coaches when time after time Crosby secondary was beat by the same play over and over again and their defense stumped any momentum by the Cougars offense..Anytime defensive players are talking to each other or arguing with each other, confusion breeds defeat.

Hats off to the Lee coaching staff, they had their kids ready to play and took advantage of a porous Crosby secondary whenever they needed to.Those mistakes are not hard to remedy.But is this coaching staff capable of turning that around.If not, another long season for this Cougar team and a great fan base that was there and left looking bewildered.

On a bright note the Crosby freshman team has some really bright spots, some nice overall size and 2 maybe 3 deep at the running back position.Will a Willis coaching staff bring this bunch along,I personally have my doubts.

On the JV side, if they can correct getting the snap out of the dirt, the QB can throw a nice ball.Some nice hitting on the defensive side.Lee had the biggest kid on the field at qb and hurt Crosby's defense with the run.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...