5A D1 District 9 Discussion

On 5/2/2024 at 1:11 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I been quiet for a reason, yall will figure it out in a couple months. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Good luck to everyone in our district, lets get it poppin. 

It’s quiet because some schools have more than football 😂 we in the playoffs over here, see ya afterwards 💪😎☝️

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

But according to some (one), that's not important in the grand scheme of the overall athletic program.

Just ask @89Falcon

Yep, Spring sports are fun and it is always nice to win but make no mistake, they pale in comparison to winning in football.

Would be interesting to see if Spring sports have the same forum traffic as football on SETX or other platforms? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CoogsWompWomp said:

I think Sterling has a shot to get in. Finished year with strong play from the QB. Has a chance to start season strong.  Will find out quick vs Ball to start to district!

RSS defense needs to be better than in previous years. 

1 hour ago, CoogsWompWomp said:

Weren’t bad most weeks last year, have that DC back too

That 3 game stretch last year when I watched them was bad IMO 🤷🏾‍♂️ (BH, KP, MHS). The 4 game stretch the year before was worse than that (Bwood, BH, KP, MHS). 

Hopefully for them they're better. I'll say this: their secondary was a bit of a bright spot for em on defense last year. If they got those guys back that's a plus. 😎

Lufkin still looking for a Week #3 game, had some offers from 3A teams in LA, don't want those guys. 6A Eagle Pass and El Paso Coronado offered IF we would travel half way to San Angelo to play, too far and neither are contenders.  Both ended up scheduling each other for non-district.   Have been looking around in OK and ARK.   

The things is, schools are still hiring new coaches, and actually you can sign up for a game as little a weeks before the season begins. Hopefully the coach is able to find a game worth playing to help the team become better.  

Lufkin fans  always travel well, except now they need to learn to travel in a new district. Seems every 2 to 4 years the UIL plays their pawn game, moving Lufkin football around so much we can't form any real district rivalries.  One alignment we go North, the next go South, just a pawn to fill out a 7 or 8 team district for the UIL.   Whatever UIL nut placed us the first time around in 7-5A with Cleburne, Joshua, Burleson and Waxahachie has no concept of time and space in Texas.  To us it's like playing one big non district schedule every year, then we are moved again. The only constant with Lufkin is we do play Longview practically every year, whether in non district or district for the first time in many years these past two seasons.  Longview has pretty much owned our tails the past 5 or 6 years.

We don't know much about you guys, we have just left a two year stint in a highly talented district up North 8-5A DI with Longview, Forney, Lancaster, McKinney North, Tyler, North Mesquite and West Mesquite.  It's going to be interesting to see how things play out this year. I'm not making any predictions for Lufkin because the program has missed the playoffs the past three seasons. There are not good vibes here between the fans and the coaching staff because of this lack of winning. After all we missed those playoffs with a P5 RB who went to Notre Dame. Read into that what you want. Will find out in about 3 months. 

Anyway, if you know someone looking for a Week #3 game, have them give Coach Todd Quick a call in Lufkin.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin fans  always travel well, except now they need to learn to travel in a new district. Seems every 2 to 4 years the UIL plays their pawn game, moving Lufkin football around so much we can't form any real district rivalries.  One alignment we go North, the next go South, just a pawn to fill out a 7 or 8 team district for the UIL.   Whatever UIL nut placed us the first time around in 7-5A with Cleburne, Joshua, Burleson and Waxahachie has no concept of time and space in Texas.

But you appealed and got what you wanted from the UIL. Its sounds like that didn't solve anything for you. What district would you suggest for Lufkin? 

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

But you appealed and got what you wanted from the UIL. Its sounds like that didn't solve anything for you. What district would you suggest for Lufkin? 

Solved everything for us. What do you mean?  Lufkin has always had to travel, for 50 years or more to play the bulk of our district opponents.  We are stuck in the middle of East Texas with a bunch of smaller schools. Not like you guys all within spiting distance of each other. It's been many years since Nacogdoches was in Lufkin's district,  all other opponents are around 100 - 150 miles from us. Going to Beaumont and Baytown is not any different than past district opponents  like THW, Conroe, College Station, Longview or Tyler. However, going to play 4 teams South of Ft Worth, there is a  big difference don't you think? Thus why we did not' want to be there.  It's like the UIL making PAM or Beaumont go to Tyler or Longview to play a district games.  Playing football that far away was not the main issue, it was our fans and all the support and performing groups getting there.  It was playing the sub varsity games on a Thursday night  getting home at 1 AM or later, and the kids needing to be in school on Friday.  

Yep. Well I'm not the one trying to find a Week 3 game. That will be solved one way or another by Coach Quick not myself.  We have had to travel longer distances for years, but it's NOT normally a disadvantage, it's more so for the school groups coming TO play in Lufkin. The folks from THW, New Caney and the Dallas area never liked the long trek to Lufkin.  Those two games in Baytown and Galveston are not close to the distance and time to have played those South of Ft Worth schools, that's both ways. I'm positive none of them wanted to travel to Lufkin,.  Things have not been a perfect situation for Lufkin in a long time, you have to go back almost 10 years the last time Lufkin was in an all East Texas 5A district, and for only a couple years at that, 2014.-2015. Even then, most all (except Nacogdoches 30 min) were 1.5 -2 hour drives to play.  You have to go back to 2003 to find an all East  Texas set up for us. Having to travel has always been the way for Lufkin and for that matter, all 5A or 6A  teams in East Texas. The folks who really have to travel? Those are those West Texas and the Panhandle. teams, all classifications. I can't imagine, that is a different wide open spaces experience altogether. 

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not like you guys all within spiting distance of each other. 

I agree. BH has about the best logistics imaginable. We are near the physical center point of all our 2024 opponents, and everyone is within one hour drive for us, except Lufkin. We only have to go your way once then we are done with it for the remainder of the 2 year cycle.  

16 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I agree. BH has about the best logistics imaginable. We are near the physical center point of all our 2024 opponents, and everyone is within one hour drive for us, except Lufkin. We only have to go your way once then we are done with it for the remainder of the 2 year cycle.  

.....and I am positive in 2026 the U I L will again move Lufkin around like a pawn, south, north or west to fill out some 7-8 team district.  We are stuck in 5A DI for the foreseeable future, too big to fall to 5A DII and (2159) not big enough to move to 6A.  The best fit for us would be 5A DII as far as having an East Texas district and decent travel.  Enough  schools to have two 5A DII districts. Enrollment precludes this happening of course, for us and Tyler High. We are the only 5A DI schools in all of East Texas. Tyler had to stay in that 7-5ADI district.   It was a bum deal for them too, although they are at least 2 to 2 1/2 hours closer round trip to those South of Ft Worth schools than Lufkin.  It's 86 miles from my home to Rose Stadium in Tyler.