5A D1 District 9 Discussion

On 6/18/2024 at 10:35 AM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin still looking for a Week #3 game, had some offers from 3A teams in LA, don't want those guys. 6A Eagle Pass and El Paso Coronado offered IF we would travel half way to San Angelo to play, too far and neither are contenders.  Both ended up scheduling each other for non-district.   Have been looking around in OK and ARK.   

The things is, schools are still hiring new coaches, and actually you can sign up for a game as little a weeks before the season begins. Hopefully the coach is able to find a game worth playing to help the team become better.  

Lufkin fans  always travel well, except now they need to learn to travel in a new district. Seems every 2 to 4 years the UIL plays their pawn game, moving Lufkin football around so much we can't form any real district rivalries.  One alignment we go North, the next go South, just a pawn to fill out a 7 or 8 team district for the UIL.   Whatever UIL nut placed us the first time around in 7-5A with Cleburne, Joshua, Burleson and Waxahachie has no concept of time and space in Texas.  To us it's like playing one big non district schedule every year, then we are moved again. The only constant with Lufkin is we do play Longview practically every year, whether in non district or district for the first time in many years these past two seasons.  Longview has pretty much owned our tails the past 5 or 6 years.

We don't know much about you guys, we have just left a two year stint in a highly talented district up North 8-5A DI with Longview, Forney, Lancaster, McKinney North, Tyler, North Mesquite and West Mesquite.  It's going to be interesting to see how things play out this year. I'm not making any predictions for Lufkin because the program has missed the playoffs the past three seasons. There are not good vibes here between the fans and the coaching staff because of this lack of winning. After all we missed those playoffs with a P5 RB who went to Notre Dame. Read into that what you want. Will find out in about 3 months. 

Anyway, if you know someone looking for a Week #3 game, have them give Coach Todd Quick a call in Lufkin.

Contenders??? For what?? Y’all ain’t made the playoffs in a hot minute!!! Y’all gotta drive to Galveston for a district game. Better take whoever you can. YOU petitioned the UIL to get in this district knowing schedules were set. Poor planning on yalls part. 

4 hours ago, Old Ape said:

Contenders??? For what?? Y’all ain’t made the playoffs in a hot minute!!! Y’all gotta drive to Galveston for a district game. Better take whoever you can. YOU petitioned the UIL to get in this district knowing schedules were set. Poor planning on yalls part. 

Yep, missed the playoffs three straight years, there is no excuse IMO.  Can't blame the stacked district we were in the past two years either, anyone should be able to finish 4th in a district. Let's just say It wasn't for the lack of talent. SMH

It must be nice when folks live in an area were you can drive to your games in the time it takes one to can eat a Big Mac and fries. You are not stuck in the middle of nowhere in East Texas where there are only two 5ADI teams (Lufkin, Tyler). Your team wasn't facing having to drive 8-9 hours round trip to play football games, that included sub varsity games on Thursday night.  I'm sure you would have been okay with a 8-9 hour drive. Right?  I think not, you guys would have done the same petitioning we did.  Agreed there was poor planning on the part of our HC/AD for not accepting whatever opportunity was offered right after the UIL approved the move.  Fully understand you guys did not want Lufkin in your district either, and you didn't want to make the trek to Lufkin.  Most schools who are not from East Texas ever like the drive to Lufkin.  Sorry, all water under the bridge now, and we might be stuck with a 9 game schedule too. No fault but our own.

Looking forward to coming down to Ball to play. As I have said before we travel well and so do our fans. Going to be a fun year.

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Yep, missed the playoffs three straight years, there is no excuse IMO.  Can't blame the stacked district we were in the past two years either, anyone should be able to finish 4th in a district. Let's just say It wasn't for the lack of talent. SMH

It must be nice when folks live in an area were you can drive to your games in the time it takes one to can eat a Big Mac and fries. You are not stuck in the middle of nowhere in East Texas where there are only two 5ADI teams (Lufkin, Tyler). Your team wasn't facing having to drive 8-9 hours round trip to play football games, that included sub varsity games on Thursday night.  I'm sure you would have been okay with a 8-9 hour drive. Right?  I think not, you guys would have done the same petitioning we did.  Agreed there was poor planning on the part of our HC/AD for not accepting whatever opportunity was offered right after the UIL approved the move.  Fully understand you guys did not want Lufkin in your district either, and you didn't want to make the trek to Lufkin.  Most schools who are not from East Texas ever like the drive to Lufkin.  Sorry, all water under the bridge now, and we might be stuck with a 9 game schedule too. No fault but our own.

Looking forward to coming down to Ball to play. As I have said before we travel well and so do our fans. Going to be a fun year.

I think the UIL did Lufkin dirty.  Like West Brook and now the mid county schools get a taste of what it's like to play in Reg 2.  Simply, if it were up to me, Lufkin would be in district 10,  Easier travel and the competition is less than mid but, to your point, less travel.  For years, I've complained about the lack of map reading skills by the the UIL

On 6/20/2024 at 3:50 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

With Port Arthur Memorial starting off at #10 I'm interested in seeing where Lufkin and BH were placed in the preseason rankings. 

BH has a lot of new holes to fill. Good kids are coming up but BH will need some time on the field before we can get a true read. Stepp said Lufkin is salty with almost their whole team coming back (less a RB), and of course Lufkin comes from a tougher district. 

WAAAY too early district picks:  1) PA  2) Lufkin  3) BH  4) Ball.  

I won't even guess about the statewide ranks. 

1 minute ago, Separation Scientist said:

BH has a lot of new holes to fill. Good kids are coming up but BH will need some time on the field before we can get a true read. Stepp said Lufkin is salty with almost their whole team coming back (less a RB), and of course Lufkin comes from a tougher district. 

WAAAY too early:  1) PA  2) Lufkin  3) BH  4) Ball.  

That's exactly how I got district panning out as of today. Ball High is the wildcard though. 

I’m not dropping BH out of contention just yet. It all depends on how well the QB does and he will have good support in the backfield with J-Rod toting the rock. BH does have a lot of holes to fill, but they have a lot of kids in the program to do it. PA has to live up to that 10 ranking and be consistent to get that top spot, but like most years they have the players to be very good. Lufkin also has the talent and should be a defensive machine this year, but will the offense jell enough to get them much needed playoff run? G-Ball is a tough read coming from a weak district, but they will compete. 

21 hours ago, Old Ape said:

Cry me a river!!! What was the District travel when Lufkin won state?? Westbrook was in woodlands district when they played in State!!! Sad that once proud programs are now into making long winded excuses!!

Old Ape, no one has made any excuses. Your just stirring your own pot you know nothing about. Region II districts are no joke. You don't know much about Lufkin history either. We were in THW/Conroe/Klein district from about 2004-2012, and again with THW/Beaumont/Tomball in 2016 and 2017. Travel? Don't cry to me about Beaumont driving to THW.  Then we were in a district with College Station, Magnolia, Waller and  Bryan. Then with New Caney/College Station/  Magnolia/Waller, Cleveland and Tomball in 2018-2019, and We just got out of a two year swing with Longview, Forney, Lancaster, McKinney North, Tyler and the Mesquite schools.  Go check a map on that, it can get confusing, it is for us too. LOL

In the 70s, 80s and 90s and 2001 State Championship year, we had an all East Texas district that over that time included the schools in Texarkana(Texas High), Longview (Longview, Longview Pine Tree), Tyler ( John Tyler, Tyler Legacy), Marshall and Nacogdoches.   You see, we travel good, cause we have never had any other choice.

Looking forward to playing you guys this year.  Lufkin has 48 seniors on the roster, they have a chance to be pretty good this year.

District order per DCTF: 

1. #10 Port Arthur Memorial 

2. #19 Lufkin

3. #21 BH

Space (literally)

4. Galveston Ball

5. Baytown Sterling 

6. Beaumont West Brook 

7. Beaumont United 

Memorial returns the most lettermen as expected off a young team (31), but Ball returns the most starters (8 on O, 6 on D). 

9-5A D1 is listed as one of the 3 districts to watch in all of 5A as a whole. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

District order per DCTF: 

1. #10 Port Arthur Memorial 

2. #19 Lufkin

3. #21 BH

Space (literally)

4. Galveston Ball

5. Baytown Sterling 

6. Beaumont West Brook 

7. Beaumont United 

Memorial returns the most lettermen as expected off a young team (31), but Ball returns the most starters (8 on O, 6 on D). 

9-5A D1 is listed as one of the 3 districts to watch in all of 5A as a whole. 

I'm curious to know what other schools that dropped from 6A to 5A that are picked last and next to last in their new 5A district?

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm curious to know what other schools that dropped from 6A to 5A that are picked last and next to last in their new 5A district?

Man I was wondering the same, probably not that many, I haven't looked at the entire 5A section of the mag yet (only Region 3). 

I had to look this up cause I was very curious, the last time Memorial returned at least 30 lettermen was 2020 when they went undefeated in regular season play, that was coming off of a 2019 season where they were really young. 

I don't see anyone going undefeated in district play this season. I think if healthy we go at best 9-1, at worst 8-2, maybe 7-3, have to see how that Dekaney game goes. 

16 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I had to look this up cause I was very curious, the last time Memorial returned at least 30 lettermen was 2020 when they went undefeated in regular season play, that was coming off of a 2019 season where they were really young. 

I don't see anyone going undefeated in district play this season. I think if healthy we go at best 9-1, at worst 8-2, maybe 7-3, have to see how that Dekaney game goes. 

If the qb can throw accurate 20+ yards memorial shouldn’t lose a game in district play.