5A D1 District 9 Discussion

Probably have a lot more to say about the Lufkin Panthers later on, possibly after the scrimmage with Huntsville next week. Coach Quick, like John Outlaw before him never demonstrates a lot of importance to win a scrimmage. To them it's more about getting the finishing pieces and parts in place for the 1st game of the year.  That has always been a little frustrating to fans, it's just the way it has been for a long time.  Lufkin is coming off a 3 year drought from the playoffs, lots of eyes on this group of kids, and closer eye on the coaching staff by the fans.  Probably should be more LP fan excitement about this season, and there is every reason to be upbeat. However just think lots of folks are taking a wait and see approach.  The talent is certainly there in abundance, the team chemistry is for sure there, did I mention a closer eye on coaching?  Yes, I did, and that's the aspect most fans are watching the closest.   On paper, everything points to a dynamic year, we have been here before more times than I would like to mention.  So we will see how this flows.  The Longview and Tyler games will tells us a great deal, for both will be either better or as good as anyone else in 9-5A DI this year IMO.  For me, I'm not counting any chicken just yet!

On 8/17/2024 at 12:12 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Any thoughts BU fans?? 

@BMTSoulja1 where you and your people?? I can understand WB fans hiding, not BU. 

We’ll take the wait and see approach.  I do know one thing.  There shouldn’t be any excuses whatsoever this year.  I’ll learn more about this team after the first scrimmage…

15 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

We’ll take the wait and see approach.  I do know one thing.  There shouldn’t be any excuses whatsoever this year.  I’ll learn more about this team after the first scrimmage…

Just curious. Excuses for what? Losing season? Missing playoffs? Inquiring minds want to know.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Just curious. Excuses for what? Losing season? Missing playoffs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Missing the playoffs.  Moving from the toughest district in the state.  Also basically the same staff.  Meaning I’ll be dead on the staff’s tail this year.  
But you knew exactly what I meant initially…. 🤦🏿

32 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Missing the playoffs.  Moving from the toughest district in the state.  Also basically the same staff.  Meaning I’ll be dead on the staff’s tail this year.  
But you knew exactly what I meant initially…. 🤦🏿

So which of these teams are you expecting United to beat to make the playoffs?

(Galveston Ball, Barbers Hill, Lufkin, PA Memorial)

I got them beating Baytown Sterling and possibly West Brook but that won't put them in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So which of these teams are you expecting United to beat to make the playoffs?

(Galveston Ball, Barbers Hill, Lufkin, PA Memorial)

I got them beating Baytown Sterling and possibly West Brook but that won't put them in the playoffs.

1. PA
2. Lufkin
3. Ball
4. United
5. WB
6. BH
7. Sterling

44 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

1. PA
2. Lufkin
3. Ball
4. United
5. WB
6. BH
7. Sterling

I don't buy Barbers Hill 6th with their coaching staff and returning offensive guys. Don't think they drop that much after last season.

Also can't comment much on United, Westbrook or Ball.  All new district for us, so will have to learn a little bit on the fly.  I've witnessed PAM a couple times the past two years. I see what they have.  As I mentioned earlier, 6A Longview and 5A DI Tyler on the road will be great test for Lufkin in non district.  I do believe District 9-5A DI will be more competitive than some think.

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'll take a stab in the dark.  We'll  (BU) beat Sterling, BH, WB and Lufkin.  The Ball game will be a toss up being that there is always bad blood there.  

BH and Lufkin are road trips too. 👀

Bold prediction. We'll see soon 😎