After starting off the season 7-19, Astros have gone 36-22 since. Had the best record in baseball for the month of June.

Over a month ago Houston was 8th in the AL in runs scored, 13th in runs allowed. Now the Astros are 6th in runs scored and 7th in runs allowed. Offense has been consistent but the pitching has definitely improved.

Also, Houston leads all of MLB in team batting average (.265) and have the fewest team strikeouts (575) in all of MLB. Next lowest is Padres with 594.

Astros were at one point the worst team in baseball with blown save opps. At one point Houston had blown 10 saves in 18 opportunities. Now that stat is at 18 saves in 31 opps. So they have converted on 10 of last 13 save opportunities. Those blown save opps earlier in season could have Houston in 1st place right now.

The current projections (based on remaining schedules and current trends) has Houston winning division with 89 wins. Seattle predicted to finish with 87 wins. Rangers predicted to finish with 79 wins.

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

After starting off the season 7-19, Astros have gone 36-22 since. Had the best record in baseball for the month of June.

Over a month ago Houston was 8th in the AL in runs scored, 13th in runs allowed. Now the Astros are 6th in runs scored and 7th in runs allowed. Offense has been consistent but the pitching has definitely improved.

Also, Houston leads all of MLB in team batting average (.265) and have the fewest team strikeouts (575) in all of MLB. Next lowest is Padres with 594.

Astros were at one point the worst team in baseball with blown save opps. At one point Houston had blown 10 saves in 18 opportunities. Now that stat is at 18 saves in 31 opps. So they have converted on 10 of last 13 save opportunities. Those blown save opps earlier in season could have Houston in 1st place right now.

The current projections (based on remaining schedules and current trends) has Houston winning division with 89 wins. Seattle predicted to finish with 87 wins. Rangers predicted to finish with 79 wins.

Don’t know where you get all of those stats, but I like them. 
Duboń is a player they should try and find room for every game. He’s a very scrappy player and can play most positions. 

Question for the baseball experts.  7-6, Blue Jays leading the Astros in the top of the 9th.  Houston's Jeremy Pena leads off with a double.  Joey Loperfido up to bat.  Loperfido does NOT make any attempt to bunt Pena over to 3rd base!  What was Joe Espada thinking?  Instead, Loperfido strikes out.  Three swing for the fences misses.  I went nuts yelling at the TV and reiterating my call to fire the incompetent Espada and his entire staff.  One out.  Trey Cabbage up to bat.  Again, Espada fails to have Cabbage show bunt, much less successfully bunt Pena over to 3rd base.  Cabbage strikes out on three consecutive fast balls.  Altuve up to bat.  Flies out to CF.

Isn't the right move to have Loperfido bunt Pena over to 3rd base?  Put Pena 90-feet from the tie.  If Pena is standing on 3rd with one out, then anything can happen.  Pass ball, score; sac-fly, score; or put the ball in play, score.  Nope.  Not Espada.  That idiot has Loperfido and Cabbage swing and miss.  My colleagues at work say, that's old baseball.  Not the right play now.  What is this old baseball vs. new baseball.  Isn't the right play to ALWAYS bunt, move the runner to 3rd, and play for the tie?

Espada consistently makes the wrong move.  Espada and Josh Miller are incompetent with the Astros pitching staff.  They never go with feel or instinct.  Frustrating.  That's a discussion for another day.  What's the right play for the 9th inning...bunt or swing for the fences?    

1 hour ago, 1989NDN said:

Question for the baseball experts.  7-6, Blue Jays leading the Astros in the top of the 9th.  Houston's Jeremy Pena leads off with a double.  Joey Loperfido up to bat.  Loperfido does NOT make any attempt to bunt Pena over to 3rd base!  What was Joe Espada thinking?  Instead, Loperfido strikes out.  Three swing for the fences misses.  I went nuts yelling at the TV and reiterating my call to fire the incompetent Espada and his entire staff.  One out.  Trey Cabbage up to bat.  Again, Espada fails to have Cabbage show bunt, much less successfully bunt Pena over to 3rd base.  Cabbage strikes out on three consecutive fast balls.  Altuve up to bat.  Flies out to CF.

Isn't the right move to have Loperfido bunt Pena over to 3rd base?  Put Pena 90-feet from the tie.  If Pena is standing on 3rd with one out, then anything can happen.  Pass ball, score; sac-fly, score; or put the ball in play, score.  Nope.  Not Espada.  That idiot has Loperfido and Cabbage swing and miss.  My colleagues at work say, that's old baseball.  Not the right play now.  What is this old baseball vs. new baseball.  Isn't the right play to ALWAYS bunt, move the runner to 3rd, and play for the tie?

Espada consistently makes the wrong move.  Espada and Josh Miller are incompetent with the Astros pitching staff.  They never go with feel or instinct.  Frustrating.  That's a discussion for another day.  What's the right play for the 9th inning...bunt or swing for the fences?    

New baseball-old baseball….. there’s a difference? The correct call with no outs is to bunt the runner to 3rd. 

Your thoughts on Loperfido while valid has counter arguments.  Can Loperfido bunt very well would be first and doing it well in BP is a world of difference from, as Espada stated, from bunting 90 plus fast balls.  After the strike out though, I question why bunting Cabbage at all with an out on the board. With 2 outs it requires a hit to score, thus Cabbage should be swinging. 

As for Alvarez, if I recall the situation you mention, he likely did that on his own as the 3rd baseman was shifted way off the line.  I simply do not recall the score or what inning which would play a huge role in that decision. 

Dubon seeing more playing time...agreed.  

Fire Espada for that decision would mean you call for most managers to be fired. Yes, I realize you have other reasons as well. 

Interesting thought on bunting I have heard from an old timer that has changed his bunt thoughts.  He doesn't care for it much anymore because players strike out to expletive expletive  much to justify it very often. His statement, "I would have had him bunt, but the next fatherless child would strike out, so forget it."  Which is exactly what happened with Cabbage. Thus, to ALWAYS bunt, no for sure.  Do it in the same situation with different players, absolutely...but like an adult diaper...it depends.