Trey Haley signs with Rice

Central Heights pitchersigns with Rice University

Haley making good on dream

Click-2-Listen

By KEVIN GORE

The Daily Sentinel

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Central Heights senior baseball player took a big step toward his future in baseball by signing with a Texas school known for winning championships.

Trey Haley, a hard-throwing pitcher in his first year of school at Central Heights, recently signed a national letter of intent with Rice University in Houston.

Haley, who pitched the last three years at San Augustine High School before transferring to Central Heights, had a long list of schools he could have signed with, including Texas, LSU, TCU and Arizona State.

But the 6-3, 190-pounder was most impressed with Rice because of the school's coaches and tradition.

"Coach Wayne Graham had a lot to do with it," he said. "David Pierce, their pitching coach, recruited me, too.

"Rice has been in the College World Series. It is just the best overall school for pitchers. There's no other school like it."

Haley was one of 11 recruits, including five pitchers, signed by Rice.

"We are all very excited about this class," Graham said in a recent press release. "They are all very talented and athletic with a lot of potential.

"I don't think you can ever have too much pitching and (the signing class is) particularly strong up the middle. This class has a chance to be the best class we've had at Rice."

While Haley's signing guarantees his future in college, it all could change if he is taken high in next spring's amateur baseball draft.

Haley's fastball ranges in the 90 mph range and has topped out at 95 mph.

He is ranked ninth among baseball players in Texas by Insideprepbaseball.com.

He already has grown accustomed to the pressure related to having a big-time fastball while throwing in front of Major League scouts during his high school career and while playing with elite summer league teams.

He pitched in leagues in California and Florida and at an invitational event in Ohio during the summer.

"It all depends on how next year goes," Haley said of his draft stock. "I hope to go in the first round, if I pitch good in the spring."

Baseball has always been Haley's favorite sport, starting when he was the pitcher on his little league team.

"When he was 9 years old, he was missing bats, all day," said his mother, Kathie Haley.

"Since T-ball when he was 5 years old, he's always been good at baseball," said his father, Richard Haley. "It's always been his dream.

"His favorite team is the Atlanta Braves, because they were always on TV. He said 'one day, I'm going to play for the Atlanta Braves.' They were at our house a few weeks ago, talking with him."

Haley has two brothers, Hunter, 13, and Sam, 9, and a sister, Cici, 15.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RVLife
    Newest Member
    RVLife