Lamar vs. Rice Dec. 22nd Predictions?

KFDM COOP

Guest coachacola

Rice is 2-6 with wins over E. Illinois and Texas State.  If we can't beat Rice then we should forfeit the rest of the season.  (At least Rice has beaten some D1 teams).

Lamar by 12, 78-66.

Lamar 67

Rice    63

Rice was a one man team last year with Almond. Now he's gone and they suck. LU is pissed about how bad we've played and the coaches will have the boys ready.

Lamar 67

Rice    63

Rice was a one man team last year with Almond. Now he's gone and they suck. LU is pissed about how bad we've played and the coaches will have the boys ready.

Ok...yall have convinced me to change my negative attitude towards the program, at least for this one game.  I forgot we were at home on this one and didn't realize how bad Rice is.  I think we win this one easily 74-60.

Ok so we got blown out by Ole Miss by 38 points, got beat at BYU by 22 points. But Rice got blown out by Duquesne and TCU each by 27 points.

Bad losses to bad teams.

I think LU will get it going starting with this game.  I know that the wins that we DO have are against GARBAGE teams, but.... who really expected us to beat BYU, UNO, and Ole Miss on the road? That was something that just was not going to happen. BYU is money at home, Ole Miss is rolling so far, and UNO has an All-American candidate in McCalebb and wins at NC ST, at Tulane, and at Colorado. I am disappointed in our home losses to Wyoming and Oral Roberts. We led both of those games by double digits in the 2nd half. We could have won both of those, but at worst should have split them. Both of those teams would be toward the top of the SLC in my opinion. N. Illinois was a very disappointing loss. They were winless when they beat us, but two nights later beat Air Force. I still think that is a game we should have won though.

All I am saying is that I am as disappointed as anyone with our lacking ability to close out a game. I am not, however, ready to jump ship. I think this is still a team that will get much better by conference. The SLC is a much improved conference this year and several teams are making noise with hot starts. But, none of that means crap when conference starts. There will be ONE BID from the SLC, period and end of sentence. So, while Lamar's start is disappointing, it is not the end of the world. We need to learn from our non-conference mistakes and get ready to play in the conference games.

There are probably a few more beatdowns coming.. i.e. at Texas Tech and we typically throw in at least 1-2 clunkers on the road in conference play. But, I think if we can hold serve at home and steal a few on the road that we might be able to turn it around. We shall see.

I think Texas Tech will be much closer than people think, if we play hard as we can and make shots, we will win. They lost at Centenary College. CENTENARY! I mean honestly who loses to Centenary?

I hope you are right on the Tech game, but I still have my doubts. Tech is like night and day home and away from home. They are undefeated at home this season with a 55 point win over LA Tech, 13 point win over TCU, a 16 point win over SFA, and a 12 point win over UC-Riverside. They also beat Gonzaga by 10 on a neutral court. Their losses have been on the road and the only upsets were at SHSU by 2 and at Centenary by 4. Centenary by the way is 7-4 this season with wins over Texas Tech, LA Tech, Northwestern St, and SMU. So, I guess we might have picked a good year not to play them! Hope you are right and we hang with them, but I don't see us having much chance winning in Lubbock unless we improve immensely in the next week or so.

I hope you are right on the Tech game, but I still have my doubts. Tech is like night and day home and away from home. They are undefeated at home this season with a 55 point win over LA Tech, 13 point win over TCU, a 16 point win over SFA, and a 12 point win over UC-Riverside. They also beat Gonzaga by 10 on a neutral court. Their losses have been on the road and the only upsets were at SHSU by 2 and at Centenary by 4. Centenary by the way is 7-4 this season with wins over Texas Tech, LA Tech, Northwestern St, and SMU. So, I guess we might have picked a good year not to play them! Hope you are right and we hang with them, but I don't see us having much chance winning in Lubbock unless we improve immensely in the next week or so.

Win or lose, we are 0 and 0 when conference start. Plus Bobby Knight comes to Beaumont next year.

Lamar is improving. When the season started I thought they were a last place slc team. Today I think they improved to a slightly above middle of the slc pack team.

A win over Rice won't prove anything but a win against a weak D-1 basketball program. Bottom line is this, we all expected Lamar to do better this year. We fell for all the hype once again.

Agree completely. It would be much better than a loss to a weak D-1 program though and at this point we need a win over a D-1. So, I think a win over Rice could do a lot for LU. A blowout win over Rice would be REALLY NICE.

Personally, I figured we would have 3 losses at this point. Those losses being at Ole Miss, at BYU, and at UNO. I figured before the season that we would handle N. Ill, Wyoming, and Oral Roberts and we probably should have won all three of those. But, we didn't and everyone is in panic mode. I am not going to panic. I think this team is going to get much better as the season moves on.

A win over Rice won't prove anything but a win against a weak D-1 basketball program. Bottom line is this, we all expected Lamar to do better this year. We fell for all the hype once again.

You hit the nail on the head!!!!  Maybe we should make some new conference predictions on where LU will finish now that reality has set in and we see actually how they are playing.  And we see how the other SLC schools are playing.  Let's see:

1. SHSU

2. SFA

3. UTA

4. SE La

5. Texas State

6. LU

So, I will go with 6th at best.  I'm not sure we are better than anyone in the conference right now so I'm being optimistic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43