Bridge City hires Andrew Daspit

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I don't think anyone was "railroaded".

His basketball achievements were not what got him reassigned. The coach did have other responsibilities that he failed to take care of from what I know.

Like in many cases, he wasn't there just to coach basketball.

What were they? If you’re going to put out there he wasn’t doing his job, what wasn’t he doing?

12 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

What were they? If you’re going to put out there he wasn’t doing his job, what wasn’t he doing?

I am agreeing with you. He coaches tennis also and had kids sneak out at regional tennis. There was girl Coach , an assistant Princple (an administrator in charge) acting as a coach and Randall the head coach. The only one that received consequences was Randall, the other 2 coaches got nothing.

3 minutes ago, eknights88 said:

I am agreeing with you. He coaches tennis also and had kids sneak out at regional tennis. There was girl Coach , an assistant Princple (an administrator in charge) acting as a coach and Randall the head coach. The only one that received consequences was Randall, the other 2 coaches got nothing.

Lol as I expected. I guess not sitting outside of their door all night was him “ not doing his job”

5 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

Lol as I expected. I guess not sitting outside of their door all night was him “ not doing his job”

From what I was told, this was not the first incident. Robertson had been written up a few times before and it came down to this incident tipping the scale.

What those write ups were about I have no clue.

I was told this was the Supt. decision just as much as the AD.

23 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

From what I was told, this was not the first incident. Robertson had been written up a few times before and it came down to this incident tipping the scale.

What those write ups were about I have no clue.

I was told this was the Supt. decision just as much as the AD.

Must not have played a school board members kid or something. Sounds like a classic case of if admin wants to get rid of you, they are going to find a way to get rid of you. 

2 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

Must not have played a school board members kid or something. Sounds like a classic case of if admin wants to get rid of you, they are going to find a way to get rid of you. 

Is winning a few basketball games all that matters? Are they supposed to brush aside these other incidents?

3 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

If what he did was that bad, why  weren’t the other employees punished? Or why wasn’t he fired instead of being reassigned? 

The reassignment was based not just on this incident but an accumulation of write ups from other incidents.

It's my understanding the others received write ups but I could have been told wrong.

4 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

Sounds very similar to Jacks when he brought Warren girls to the playoffs then got forced out.

small school politics

22 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The reassignment was based not just on this incident but an accumulation of write ups from other incidents.

It's my understanding the others received write ups but I could have been told wrong.

Job is only posted on school website in May 2nd, shows up on no coaching job boards until May 21st last Tuesday, by the 23rd ( Thursday) rampant rumors are already out that the LCM guy got it . So a new AD comes in, previous coach is reassigned for an incident that they can’t fire him or non renew him for and they basically hide the job posting with the bare minimum requirements and post it to try to make it legit on the 21st when they already have a coach, but yeah he didn’t get railroaded. 

9 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

Job is only posted on school website in May 2nd, shows up on no coaching job boards until May 21st last Tuesday, by the 23rd ( Thursday) rampant rumors are already out that the LCM guy got it . So a new AD comes in, previous coach is reassigned for an incident that they can’t fire him or non renew him for and they basically hide the job posting with the bare minimum requirements and post it to try to make it legit on the 21st when they already have a coach, but yeah he didn’t get railroaded. 

LC-M guy (Daspit) was not contacted until last Thursday. Daspit was going to be named head coach at LC-M before BC contacted him. Obviously BC wanted a shot at him before he took the LC-M job.

I cannot speak on the hiring process other than what I posted. I was only speaking on what happened to Randall and what I was told. I simply don't see a "railroad" here but I could be wrong. I personally know Smalley very well and he just doesn't seem the type to do such things. Now, the admins above him could be the ones pulling the strings. I don't know.

22 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

LC-M guy (Daspit) was not contacted until last Thursday. Daspit was going to be named head coach at LC-M before BC contacted him. Obviously BC wanted a shot at him before he took the LC-M job.

I cannot speak on the hiring process other than what I posted. I was only speaking on what happened to Randall and what I was told. I simply don't see a "railroad" here but I could be wrong. I personally know Smalley very well and he just doesn't seem the type to do such things. Now, the admins above him could be the ones pulling the strings. I don't know.

They are not it’s all smalley. 

6 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

What do you want him to do? Sit outside their room all night, get a key and just walk in their room every other hour? 

6 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

If what he did was that bad, why  weren’t the other employees punished? Or why wasn’t he fired instead of being reassigned? 

5 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.

26 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.

He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 

I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  

14 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 

Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.

New AD comes in and fires the most successful basketball coach in school history.This coach who is one of the most well respected coaches in the area I might add. Hires a new coach to replace him who has never been a head coach before and there is 0 process he is just called and offered the job, not how this business works.

8 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  

Then fire him and non renew his contract and display all this information and write ups you have as cause. Stand on your beliefs and documentation and fire him for not doing his job, don’t hide behind a reassignment trying to make him quit. If he is so bad and written up so many times why. Is he still a district employee, you would think you would fire that person and make sure they are long gone.

9 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

Then fire him and non renew his contract and display all this information and write ups you have as cause. Stand on your beliefs and documentation and fire him for not doing his job, don’t hide behind a reassignment trying to make him quit. If he is so bad and written up so many times why. Is he still a district employee, you would think you would fire that person and make sure they are long gone.

Just for the record, No one owes anyone else an explanation for why they made the decision they made. The admins in charge were hired to make decisions based on their best knowledge and for the success of the program. They are not required to explain, in detail to the community, why they did what they did. 

He had one other write up for a student skipping his class and that student got into a fight in the school parking lot. He was blamed for the student skipping class. The student was marked absent just like any other student that does not show up to class. 

• Bobcat1 changed the title to Bridge City hires Andrew Daspit